advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $528.94 ( -2.76 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best carrier for occasional use on iPad?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 30, 2013 12:07PM
I've always been able to get by with just wifi on my iPad, even when traveling. But now that a few carriers are offering cheap, short-term data plans for iPad, I'm tempted to spend the extra $130 to have that capability on an as-needed basis. I realize these plans give you a very limited amount of data, but for my purposes, that is OK.

The question then becomes whose plan? Here is one comparison chart I found, but I don't know if it is completely up to date:

[www.slashgear.com]

Any thoughts on this?

Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the world every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 12:09PM by Ammo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best carrier for occasional use on iPad?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 30, 2013 12:21PM
Been using AT&T on-and-off with my iPad for a couple years.
No complaints.

Don't know anything about the "new" plans. Never had any problem cancelling my service one month, picking it back up a couple months later, etc.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 30, 2013 12:22PM
"Best carrier' is usually based on where you go and who serves your area. NE Ohio it's Verizon... everybody else has signals issue, Verizon... we get bars.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 30, 2013 12:25PM
when they get the new ipad t-mobile will be offering 200MB/month free.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 30, 2013 12:52PM
cbelt3
"Best carrier' is usually based on where you go and who serves your area. NE Ohio it's Verizon... everybody else has signals issue, Verizon... we get bars.

We travel to different parts of USA and Canada, which is when we would use the cellular capability. I guess that means that overall coverage would be best for us.

Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the world every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 12:53PM by Ammo.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 30, 2013 12:54PM
I'll be getting an iPad miniR when they ship and I want to use it with GPS, so that means the cellular radio.

How much data does GPS use? The Apple Maps app loads quick and I think it uses vector-based graphics. GPS use would be limited to five to tens out of a month, and only a few times a year.

I also use Navigon. All of it's maps that I need are loaded before hitting the road. I can't plan a route with Apple's Maps, but I can at least select a beginning and end and load that on WiFi, but "course corrections" will use data continually.

With AT&T I can get 250mb for $15 and risk needing more and get another 250mb for another $15 or just say WTF and get 3G for $30.

Though my 'Phone is with AT&T as is my Gen 3 'Pad, I suppose another/any carrier could be used with the miniPad since it's the GPS radio I need, and their are stretches where there's no cellular connectivity.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 30, 2013 12:56PM
Bill in NC
when they get the new ipad t-mobile will be offering 200MB/month free.

And if you're getting an iPad Air or Retina Mini, for occasional use you may as well get T-Mobile for the free data because these new models have all the various cell frequencies built-in, so you can always get a SIM from a different carrier if you find out one is better for you than another down the road.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 30, 2013 01:41PM
Ammo
cbelt3

We travel to different parts of USA and Canada, which is when we would use the cellular capability. I guess that means that overall coverage would be best for us.

If you are going international (yes, Canada is not the US for most carriers), then Tmobile all the way.
Date: October 30, 2013 01:41PM
RAMd®d
I'll be getting an iPad miniR when they ship and I want to use it with GPS, so that means the cellular radio.

How much data does GPS use? The Apple Maps app loads quick and I think it uses vector-based graphics.

We just completed a 2,750 mile road trip using our iPad and Apple maps for navigation. Total data usage was less than 150 MB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 01:42PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Kludgy Thingy
Date: October 30, 2013 01:55PM
We're planning on getting the new iPad Air too but without cellular this time. For occasional use, we'll share our iPhone's cellular data connection by adding tethering capability as needed.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 30, 2013 02:19PM
is there a way to use a prepaid plan for an ipad for Canada on t-mobile or other carrier? I looked quickly after seeing this thread but couldn't see that offered. I end up in Canada too, and we have a road trip planned in Nov, and having data could be helpful. The pay per use changes on my iphone add up to be huge after a just a bit of use. I would rather not (too cheap) sign up for $30-50 dollars of additional international services from ATT, so buying limited access for my ipad would be an interesting option.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 30, 2013 03:47PM
Article Accelerator
We just completed a 2,750 mile road trip using our iPad and Apple maps for navigation. Total data usage was less than 150 MB.

Did you experience any issues with Apple Maps for such a long trip? did it the route always make sense?
Date: October 30, 2013 06:13PM
space-time
Article Accelerator

Did you experience any issues with Apple Maps for such a long trip? did it the route always make sense?

It worked very well. Seventeen days of navigation and it never led us astray although we think there may have been times when the directions were not optimal. We did a lot of driving in NYC with no problems. Apple Maps also provided an amazingly direct, efficient, yet complex route on the two-day run home that frankly we would not have been able to either develop or follow ourselves if we had to rely on paper maps.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 30, 2013 06:44PM

That is *great* news, AA! Thanks.

On my road trip across five NW states, my iPhone and Apple Maps matched my buddy's Garmin 100% that I could tell. Also it was much quicker than his Garmin at rerouting. And less annoying. Apple Maps quickly and *silently* works out a new route when you deviate from it's recommendations.

I miss the colors of the pre-iOS7 version, and wish Apple would make it a full-fledged nav app, or at least put in allow it to plan a route with various stops along the way. Maybe I can do that with Maps in Maverick?

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 31, 2013 12:37AM
RAMd®d
…wish Apple would make it a full-fledged nav app, or at least put in allow it to plan a route with various stops along the way. Maybe I can do that with Maps in Maverick?

Not as far as I know. I agree that's a sorely missed capability.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login