Posted by: space-time
Date: March 12, 2014 05:21PM
Three floating objects, pretty large, seen from satellite on Sunday morning

[www.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chinese satellite may have found some debris from the MH 370 flight
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 12, 2014 05:55PM
Busy shipping lanes. Could be anything. (don't get your hopes up).
Any way you look at it, it's a mess.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 12, 2014 05:57PM
Those are very large pieces - methinks not likely from that aircraft, given its intact overall dimensions.

" Clive Irving, a senior editor with Conde Nast Traveler, said that the size of the pieces -- since they are fairly square and big -- "don't conform to anything that's on the plane."
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 12, 2014 06:05PM
nwyaker
Those are very large pieces - methinks not likely from that aircraft, given its intact overall dimensions.

" Clive Irving, a senior editor with Conde Nast Traveler, said that the size of the pieces -- since they are fairly square and big -- "don't conform to anything that's on the plane."

Retired FAA inspector on Fox just said the opposite. Could be wing or vertical stabilizer parts.

If this location fits with the oil-rig guy who said he saw a burning plane falling at night, could be important. The satellite photos are in the right location for the original track of the aircraft.

[gawker.com]

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 06:06PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 12, 2014 06:15PM
Usually large structural pieces sink. But if the particular piece of structure didn't suffer many penetrations on impact, then it may retain enough air to remain buoyant. Wasn't the vertical stabilizer of the Air France flight recovered floating?
Posted by: billb
Date: March 12, 2014 07:37PM
Carnos Jax
Usually large structural pieces sink. But if the particular piece of structure didn't suffer many penetrations on impact, then it may retain enough air to remain buoyant. Wasn't the vertical stabilizer of the Air France flight recovered floating?
[blog.flightstory.net]

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 12, 2014 07:43PM
Adding to the mystery, the Malaysian military is back to saying that it did in fact track an unidentified plane that could be the missing one all the way to the coast of Thailand.

KUALA LUMPUR/PHU QUOC, Vietnam, March 13 (Reuters) - M alaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area south of the Thai holiday island of Phuket, hundreds of miles to the west of its last known position, the country's air force chief said on Wednesday.

His statement followed a series of conflicting accounts of the flight path of the Boeing 777-200ER with 239 people on board, which left authorities uncertain even which ocean to search in for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

[uk.reuters.com]
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 12, 2014 08:01PM
...a series of conflicting accounts

This is really starting to feel like there's some deception going on.

Posted by: decay
Date: March 12, 2014 10:07PM
could this just be a viral ad for the new Godzilla movie?

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 12, 2014 11:41PM
[www.newscientist.com]

something interesting for you aviation buffs: Rolls Royce, at it's Derby, UK location received two sets of data from MH370's engines, which it manufactured and monitors in real time as they are in operation around the globe.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 13, 2014 01:00AM
The reports of the engine data in the first few days indicated just info before the loss of contact, but now this whole thing just got MUCH stranger. Reports of engine data for over 5 hours of flight, if true, plane could be anywhere.

[online.wsj.com]

U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU -2.04% Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. BA -0.99% 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 13, 2014 03:57AM
Never a good sign when the inflight safety briefing begins with 'You're traveling to another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but also of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose bounderies are that of the imagination. At the sign post up ahead, your next stop, the twilight zone.'

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 13, 2014 06:07AM
Turns out it was space dust on the lens.
Date: March 13, 2014 06:56AM
anything interesting on the cargo manifest ?
anything that could turn this into the heist of the century ?

Posted by: Black
Date: March 13, 2014 07:34AM
billb

There is only a suggestion from "officials" that someone may have wanted the plane itself for "unknown purposes."
2 recent developments-- starting to see more vocalization of the idea that the plane may not have crashed. And I guess it's OK to not think of the loved ones of the people on the plane who are going through an unfathomable hell at the moment, and start joking about the whole thing.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 07:35AM by Black.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 13, 2014 07:41AM
GGD
The reports of the engine data in the first few days indicated just info before the loss of contact, but now this whole thing just got MUCH stranger. Reports of engine data for over 5 hours of flight, if true, plane could be anywhere.

[online.wsj.com]

U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU -2.04% Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

Aviation investigators and national security officials believe the plane flew for a total of five hours based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. BA -0.99% 777's engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.

Malaysian officials are denying this report, saying there was no data received after they lost contact:

[bigstory.ap.org]

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 13, 2014 02:03PM
Naturally they should have consulted Eustace Tilly *(:>*
His explanation of set and drift is essential to the this conundrum

Naturally he would likely be inclined to suggest
that birds of a fedder gets stuck togedder

Although he would also be predisposed to introduce
The fact how your compass could be immoral and lost

In the long run he just might complete this silly
saga by suggesting where do we go from here
And I can't find my way home

[www.youtube.com]

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: March 13, 2014 02:43PM
Black
billb

There is only a suggestion from "officials" that someone may have wanted the plane itself for "unknown purposes."
2 recent developments-- starting to see more vocalization of the idea that the plane may not have crashed. And I guess it's OK to not think of the loved ones of the people on the plane who are going through an unfathomable hell at the moment, and start joking about the whole thing.

Given the length of runway needed to land the thing I can promise you it is not in my back yard.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2014 06:31PM
And I guess it's OK to not think of the loved ones of the people on the plane who are going through an unfathomable hell at the moment, and start joking about the whole thing.

I think there's a lot of value in heavily moderating threads and also maybe capping them when they start to turn.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login