advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RAID setup
Posted by: JJ_TKOB
Date: December 13, 2005 05:58PM
I know a good hardware RAID card is the preferred method, but...

I also know OS X has some sort of built in RAID support and there is a commercial software product for OS X also.

I have two WD Raptors (36 Gigabyte) that I would like to hook up to my SeriTek SATA card. I would really like to see how fast the Digital Audio will be with the new upgrade processor and a RAID array

Anyone done this successfully?

John

P.S. The last time I did RAID was on a PC and the implementation was a pain. After losing the array and all files stored on the array (stupid PC BIOS), I decided to go back to a standard setup. During the brief period I had it running though, it was FAST.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2005 05:59PM by JJ_TKOB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RAID setup
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 13, 2005 07:00PM
Short answer is yes - works great... just don't mess with the drives after setting up. Unlike Softraid that doesn't care how the volumes are connected - Apple's Disk Utility Raid is VERY sensitive about stuff... If the the drives are not connected to the same channel, same controller as configed originally - it breaks the raid and the volume in a case of a spanned or striped volume... breaks the mirror if mirroring.

With that in mind - it does work A-OK, so long as not planning on moving those drives around, etc.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Re: RAID setup
Posted by: JJ_TKOB
Date: December 13, 2005 07:05PM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018