advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.02 ( +1.35 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Illustrator CS3 is telling me out out of memory... how do I get it to use the memory available?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 06, 2007 10:54PM
I've got 4.5GB of RAM. Illustrator gave me "not enough memory to complete operation" error and there was another GB of free memory.

There's no preference for increasing its memory allocation. How do I un-lame Illustrator?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Illustrator CS3 is telling me out out of memory... how do I get it to use the memory available?
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: November 06, 2007 11:10PM
It could be a component error, in which case -- if you're running it on an Intel Mac -- running it under Rosetta might work better.

It could be a spurious error from a corrupted file... does it give you the error when opening or working with other files?

It could be a common issue encountered when opening a file that resides on a remote server. In that case, copy the file to your local hard drive and then copy it back to the server after you've worked on it and saved changes.

It could be that it's attempting to cache on a drive that's full or nearly full.

It could be something else. You didn't give us a lot of information to work with.
Re: Illustrator CS3 is telling me out out of memory... how do I get it to use the memory available?
Date: November 06, 2007 11:16PM
MacMagus
It could be a component error, in which case -- if you're running it on an Intel Mac -- running it under Rosetta might work better.

2.7GHz G5

It could be a spurious error from a corrupted file... does it give you the error when opening or working with other files?

Nope.

It could be a common issue encountered when opening a file that resides on a remote server. In that case, copy the file to your local hard drive and then copy it back to the server after you've worked on it and saved changes.

Local drive (dedicated to files.)

It could be that it's attempting to cache on a drive that's full or nearly full.

Scratch disk has 70GB free and the disk it's on has over 200GB free.

It could be something else. You didn't give us a lot of information to work with.

Sorry.

I'm running 10.4.10 on a 2.7GHz G5. I have 4.5GB of RAM installed, but Ai thinks I have 2047 installed.
Version: 41.69
System Architecture: PowerPC
Built-In Memory: 2047 MB

Application Folder:
/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS3/Adobe Illustrator.app/

Date: November 06, 2007 11:23PM
> I'm running 10.4.10 on a 2.7GHz G5. I have 4.5GB of RAM installed, but Ai
> thinks I have 2047 installed.

That's normal.

How big is the file?

Edit: And what kind of file is it? (What file-format?) Any embedded bitmaps?

One more edit: Also, what operation were you performing when the error occurred?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2007 11:29PM by MacMagus.
Date: November 06, 2007 11:58PM
Well, I'm going to be stepping away for awhile so I'm probably not going to see your answers for at least a couple of hours... Even so, I have a few generic suggestions that you might try.

First, do a "Save as..." to a different drive if you can, then quit and relaunch Illustrator and try to open the document and do whatever you were doing with it. If there was an issue with file-corruption or directory/file/file-cache fragmentation, that could fix it.

Second, try restarting with the <Shift> key down and see if Illustrator is still giving you trouble.

Third, do the old "clean caches and delete the Adobe font db files" routine. Quit Illustrator, use spotlight to find "AdobeFnt" files and trash them, then run Onyx or Cocktail or whatever your fave is and clean the System, user and font caches and restart.
Date: November 07, 2007 12:12AM
I converted some bitmaps to vector and was trying to apply a filter (I forgot which one.) It ran for an hour or so then gave me that error.

I'll keep testing, thanks.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 07, 2007 01:11AM
Do you have these issues under 9.2.2?
Date: November 07, 2007 02:32AM
Ahh... I haven't seen that since CS.

If it's the bug that I'm thinking of then it actually is an out of memory error. Illustrator's memory usage can blow up exponentially when working with bitmaps. Especially if the originals were TIFF files.

If you've traced the outlines already, you don't need the bitmaps in the file anymore, right? So delete them, do a "Save as..." then close the original file, quit Illustrator, run Illustrator again and open and work from the new file.

If I'm right, that'll fix yer problem right there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login