advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $517.63 ( -0.33 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When you get a telemarketing call and they want you to press 9...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 04, 2008 03:33PM
Some of the calls are "caller unknown" and they want you to press a number to be connected. Since they can't be reported to "Do Not Call", is the downside greater than the upside if you press the number to either find out who they are or ask that the don't call again or to yell at them.

I would think if you press the number, you'll get put on their sucker list and they'll really start calling more or sell your number. But, I sure would like to yell at the SOBs in person.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When you get a telemarketing call and they want you to press 9...
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 04, 2008 03:35PM
[www.snopes.com]

Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: March 04, 2008 03:55PM
I get these all the time at work. I press "1" and get connected. I then put the call on speaker and either say nothing, or say nothing but "hello, hello", or press a button on the phone whenever the other party speaks. You cannot believe how annoyed this makes many callers. They will scream terrible things at me. A sailor would blush! A fun diversion for me. My wife says I shouldn't annoy these people. I say they wasted my time, I'll waste theirs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 03:56PM by troywellbuilt.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 04, 2008 04:52PM
When I am bored or have the time, I don't mind messing with the telemarketers. In fact, that helped get me off a few calling lists when requests to be taken off did not work. The second fastest was for one of those Florida travel agencies pushing Disney vacations. After repeated requests were not followed, I connected through and asked to talk to a supervisor. I explained that since they kept inviting me to call, I would use that to call back and tie up one of their 800 number lines and a representative for a long time before they would figure out I was not going to book a trip. Never got a call again.

Get fewer chances to do so now that most telemarketers pay some attention to the national do-not-call list. But get to practice every now and again when Heather from Customer Services (or wahtever they call themself) calls.

Posted by: billb
Date: March 04, 2008 05:26PM
I've just started getting these on my cel phone.
Your extended warrantee has expired. You shouldn't be driving. BS.

Either number unavailable or they have figured out how to make a disconnected number appear on the screen. I look them up. Always disconnected unused numbers. slick.

I get disproportionately angry with these bstrds.
They should do jail time.
I immediately hit the red phone to disconnect.
Otherwise I might get chased and put in straight jacket.

Too many sleazeballs in this world.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: March 04, 2008 05:34PM
I transfer them to the FAX, it howls for about 30 seconds then the call disconnects.

No more calls.
Date: March 04, 2008 06:02PM
lafinfil
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp

Actually, I just picked the number 9 at random. It's liable to be any number to connect to a live person. I'm worried about getting "on their list."
Posted by: kap
Date: March 04, 2008 06:07PM
We don't have an answering machine. Our families and friends call us on our cells. If we had a way to xfer those unsolicited calls I would let them listen to "Hello Dolly" endlessly.

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 04, 2008 06:49PM
Panopticon
I transfer them to the FAX, it howls for about 30 seconds then the call disconnects.

No more calls.

That's brilliant.

It is what it is.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 04, 2008 11:09PM
There was one scheme that really annoyed me. I would get the occasional hangup call and from time to time, get a robo-marketer spiel on my answering machine. I finally figured out that the real desire was to reach my answering machine all along and not me. That way I couldn't reflexively ask them to add me to their do not call list.

There has been one persistently annoying one (something like "Card Member Services") that starts with a recording and ends asking you to "press X for a representative or press Y to be removed from our list." After pressing Y on a number of calls, I started pressing X and asking the representative to remove me manually. That didn't work either. I started asking "Which company is this? What is your phone number?" They hang up on me...

=wr=
Date: March 04, 2008 11:26PM
Card Member Services!! That was the name I was trying to link to Heather. You can find a number of reports on their operation if you search the 'net. Quite a few persons are trying to identify them well enough to sic the FCC/Do-Not-Call on them. It is a scam operation as best as anyone can tell. They do not remove your number no matter if you press the indicated button. Best you can do is tie them up for a brief time and keep them from completing a few more tries at getting a fish on their hook.

P.S. They also announce themselves as some name at Account Services. "Heather" is the most common recent recording I have run into though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 11:44PM by JoeH.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 05, 2008 12:06AM
...transfer them to the FAX, it howls for about 30 seconds then the call disconnects.

N-OS beat me to it, so I'll just say-- GENIUS!

That's worth getting a FAX, if I just had the ability to FWD the call.

To those with answering machines, is there any message left?

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 05, 2008 12:43AM
I have an answering machine, and all the "Heather" calls also get recorded if not picked up.

Date: March 05, 2008 02:24AM
She always talks so fast...

=wr=
Date: March 05, 2008 10:47AM
You know, the call I was talking about in the original post was from Heather. Really.
Date: March 05, 2008 01:12PM
Damn Heather, why can't she leave me alone?

Just got another one, didn't have the heart to harass them.

=wr=
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 05, 2008 09:30PM
Just collect a few numbers and put up ads on Craigs list for free phone sex.

I used to do this on Newsgroups, not sure if it worked, but hey, just takes a few seconds
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login