Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to remove rust from old tools
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 27, 2008 02:08PM
I found a bunch of old wrenches of my Dad's that are good wrenches, but rusty. I had heard of the aluminum foil trick, but that's for cleaning silver. I didn't see anything obvious on Google.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to remove rust from old tools
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 27, 2008 02:13PM
0000 steelwool, light oil and elbow grease.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 27, 2008 02:47PM
there really isn't a miracle solution that I'm aware of. If there were then there wouldn't be rusty cars driving around. There are some paints that will bond with the iron to prevent further rust but they don't fix existing rust. I used them on the rear end of my corvair to prevent rust but I had to put in the sweat to remove the rust first. The brand that I used was 'Restore'. It works but wear gloves my hands turned black because the hemoglobin contains iron. I had black scaly hands and arms for about 2 weeks until it wore off.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 27, 2008 02:54PM
Naval Jelly
[www.metalwebnews.com]

Use WD-40 to keep from rusting again, since it extracts the water from the tool. It worked wonder on a Ski tuning grinder that was a rust attractor!!
Date: April 27, 2008 03:26PM
I threw away a jar of naval jelly when I found the tools, buit it was 30 years old. I remember it not working too well when I used it, but I'll get a new jar and give it a go.
Date: April 27, 2008 03:35PM
There is another way to do it, but I am not sure it is less "work" overall than one of the chemical pastes like Naval Jelly.

I could not find the episode searching for it, but on one of the MuscleCar or Horsepower shows on Spike TV they showed how to do it. You need a plastic or non-conductive tank, a sacrificial anode, and a power supply like a battery charger that will put out over 10 Volts. I found this page after a short search that has a pretty complete description.
[myweb.tiscali.co.uk]

in tha 510.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 27, 2008 03:45PM
Google "Electrolytic Rust Removal"...

between that, some phosphoric acid, and steel wool and oil (or WD-40), there's nothing you can't de-rust.
Whether there's anything worth saving under the rust is another matter.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: April 27, 2008 04:13PM
Another option is a bead blast cabinet, blast the rust off, then oil the tools thoroughly. I've done that a few times with things that have been found - on the road, in the ditch, in an attic, etc.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: davester
Date: April 27, 2008 08:08PM
A summary of all methods, from Coca Cola to electrolytic removal: [www.metalwebnews.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: yeoman
Date: April 27, 2008 08:09PM
Ditto naval jelly. Good stuff. Try it.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 27, 2008 08:23PM
If they're "Craftsman" tools from Sears, you can probably take them to Sears and have them replaced.

My dad unearthed a tool of some sort (forget what it was now) that had been buried during some project 20 or so years earlier. Sears gave him a brand new one. He's done that (not the burying part--but getting a Craftsman tool replaced) a few times, I believe.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 27, 2008 09:49PM
I'll say this- depending on the tool, the old tools are often stronger than the new ones. The old forged tools, for example, are usually gonna last much longer than the new ones.

Oh, and what they said- naval yelly, steel wool, elbow grease. Then oil the suckers up.

And USE them. There is nothing sadder than seeing all those great tools glued to the walls of 'theme' restaurants. ick.
Date: April 27, 2008 10:39PM
Ha ha. I found out most of them were made in India. Some are Craftsman and some were forged in China. They must have been more recent than I thought. Anyway, I'm sure they're better than what I could buy now for a reasonable price. I hardly use them, so these will be fine for me.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 27, 2008 11:25PM
navel jelly is jellied phosphoric acid. Just go to a pool supply store and get a gallon jug of phosphoric acid and soak the tools in the liquid. They use phosphoric acid for etching the insides of pools to bleach them out when emptying them, and cleaning the lining.. Phosphoric acid will only attach the iron oxide (rust) and convert it into iron phosphate, which is inert.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 28, 2008 02:47PM
Racer X
navel jelly is jellied phosphoric acid. Just go to a pool supply store and get a gallon jug of phosphoric acid and soak the tools in the liquid.

Don't soak those tools too long. The acid can result in hydrogen embrittlement of the steel, and the longer it's in contact, the worse it gets.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login