advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.99 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Football question - offensive fumble into the end zone?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 14, 2009 08:20AM
last night during the packers/bears game a play was reviewed to see if the player was down before fumbling the ball into the end zone where it immediately bounced out of bounds.

he was down before the fumble but lets say he wasn't.

whats the call?

VTPKL it!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Football question - offensive fumble into the end zone?
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 14, 2009 08:29AM
If it was a fumble then the ball would have been dead in the end zone. So the next play would have had the ball at the 2 yard line.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 14, 2009 08:30AM
Just guessing here, but there was a famous raiders playoff game in the 70s, in which on the last play of the game the raiders player was getting tackled, and then he deliberately fumbled forward into the end zone, where they recovered it for a touchdown to win. At least that is my memory. The league created a rule after that so that a player cannot deliberately fumble forward. I can't remember if that ends up being a penalty, but that is partly what they would be reviewing for.

So I don't think it would be a touchdown. Where they would spot the ball: i don't know.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 14, 2009 08:40AM
michaelb
Just guessing here, but there was a famous raiders playoff game in the 70s, in which on the last play of the game the raiders player was getting tackled, and then he deliberately fumbled forward into the end zone, where they recovered it for a touchdown to win. At least that is my memory. The league created a rule after that so that a player cannot deliberately fumble forward. I can't remember if that ends up being a penalty, but that is partly what they would be reviewing for.

So I don't think it would be a touchdown. Where they would spot the ball: i don't know.

Ah. I didn't see the play and was assuming the offense had their backs to the end zone.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: September 14, 2009 08:52AM
If you fumble the ball out of the endzone (or through the endzone) it is a touchback for the other team. If the ball is fumbled out of bounds prior to the endzone, you retain possession. Obviously, once the ball crosses the plane and you have possession, it's a TD.

At least that is the rule in college and my understanding of the pro rule.
Date: September 14, 2009 08:54AM
Wailer is right, it's a touchback.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 14, 2009 10:20AM
Yep. Painful as it may seem, if you fumble before crossing the plane and it goes out the side or the back of the endzone, you LOSE the ball and the other team gets it at the 20. It's surprising this doesn't happen more often with the all the circus dives where players try to wave the ball over the pylon.

This is why the Bears challenged that play last night. They were hoping the Packer wasn't out of bounds before fumbling. Unfortunately for them, the replay revealed that he wasn't out when they thought he was, but he was still out a couple yards CLOSER to the endzone. Apparently, the Bears didn't have anyone upstairs with an actual monitor because their challenges were easy work for the officials--costing them a couple of time outs.
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 14, 2009 10:30AM
Is this also still true?

If you fumble while out of the end zone, and it bounces in, and the defense recovers there, touchback.

If you recover, touchdown. UNLESS it's fourth down, when you can't advance the ball on a fumble. At that point, the defending team takes over at the point of the fumble.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 14, 2009 11:38AM
>>UNLESS it's fourth down, when you can't advance the ball on a fumble

what is that? the "no fourth down heroics" rule?

VTPKL it!
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 14, 2009 02:22PM
That's the "no intentional fumbling to advance the ball" rule.

"In American football the offense cannot advance the ball if it recovers its own fumble on fourth down, or in the last two minutes of the game, unless the ball is recovered by the fumbler"

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and wikipedia is always right.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: September 14, 2009 03:01PM
I think that means that if a ball is fumbled forward, it cannot be advanced but only be, if recovered by the offense, placed at the spot of the fumble. This prevents intentionally fumbling forward for a 1st down or into the endzone in an effort to score.

But a ball fumbled backwards or a dropped, say, during a lateral should be able to be picked up and advanced by any offensive player regardless of the down or time remaining.

Everyone must surely remember The Play from 1982. That's when I knew I wanted to go to Cal!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 14, 2009 04:47PM
It's a touchback. The ball goes to the team on defense at the time of the fumble.

There was a famous occurrence of this back in 1983, in that year's Auburn-Florida game. Both teams were loaded with talent and in the top 5; it was one of the most heralded SEC games of the 1980's. In the second half, a Florida running back broke a long run, and was about to score when he fumbled the ball just short of the goal line. The ball bounced through the end zone, and Auburn was awarded possession on the 20. UF coach Charley Pell went completely ballistic (although he apologized the next day after seeing the films; it clearly was a fumble going out of bounds).

Bo Jackson went 80 yards for a touchdown on the next play, and Auburn won, 28-21.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 14, 2009 05:50PM
"Yep. Painful as it may seem, if you fumble before crossing the plane and it goes out the side or the back of the endzone, you LOSE the ball and the other team gets it at the 20."

Yes, but you get 2 points. The other team has to kick or punt the ball back to you from their 20. Touchback. (I think)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 14, 2009 08:08PM
Dennis S
"Yep. Painful as it may seem, if you fumble before crossing the plane and it goes out the side or the back of the endzone, you LOSE the ball and the other team gets it at the 20."

Yes, but you get 2 points. The other team has to kick or punt the ball back to you from their 20. Touchback. (I think)

No, you're thinking about a safety. That's going out of bounds or being tackled with the ball (or being penalized for holding) in your own end zone. If you fumble the ball through the other guy's end zone before crossing the plane with the ball in your posession, you are awarded no points, the other guy gets the ball on the 20, and may God have mercy on your soul (okay, the last part is just a cheap hat tip to an old Adam Sandler movie).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 08:09PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 15, 2009 01:11AM
I did not know that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login