Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $104.83 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
so, is ham NOT good for dogs?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 26, 2009 12:43PM
we shared christmas dinner with our little schnoodle. spiral ham. all he could eat and the bone. last night he was in heaven. today he is sick as a, well, dog.

too much too soon or did i do something wrong?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 12:44PM by graylocks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: so, is ham NOT good for dogs?
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 26, 2009 12:47PM
we just feed our dog dog food. Vet says she's the healthiest dog he sees.
If there is ham in the dog food, I do not know. One scoop in am, one in pm. that's it.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 26, 2009 12:51PM
If he ate all he wanted, that's a lot of salt. Make sure he's drinking plenty of water today. I hope the little guy gets well soon. If he's not well soon, call the vet; it will be cheaper today than tomorrow.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 26, 2009 01:05PM
change of diet can cause some little poochies gastrointestinal distress and extreme flatulence.

anything pork was a no-no for our labrador retrievers
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 26, 2009 01:22PM
We once gave our little mutt Tootie a case of pancreatitis by over feeding her some left over barbecue pork. She was very sick. Here is link about pancreatitis. Our vet said even big dogs can get it if they are fed too much fat.

[www.peteducation.com]

Edit: it says this in the article: "as a breed, Schnauzers and Yorkshire terriers appear to be more prone to pancreatitis." IIRC, yours is a Schnauzer/Poodle mix.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 01:27PM by rgG.
Date: December 26, 2009 01:58PM
THanks. A lot in that pancreatitis article fits for our schnauzer mix.we will watch him accordingly.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 26, 2009 02:26PM
wait till you feed a dog all you can eat salmon. There was spray all the way up to the ceiling. Very glad it wasn't my house or my dog. All those Omega-3s were a problem for a dog with a normally low fat diet.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 26, 2009 03:38PM
Nah, you don't do that. Way too much sodium all at once and it settled badly on his stomach. I think he over-ate.
Date: December 26, 2009 04:03PM
We had ham last night and I ate all I wanted and just a bit more. I didn't feel so good either, but a bit of 7Up fixed that.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 26, 2009 04:21PM
Louie, being a guy who lives for the moment, is very jealous. He seems to think he wouldn't care if he was sick today if he'd gotten all kinds of ham yesterday. He was limited to two tablespoons of ham mixed in with his dinner kibble. I'm a very mean mommy.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 26, 2009 04:33PM
You're a very good mommy, AlphaDog.

We're mean pet owners. We don't give our doggies any table scraps. Just kibble and doggie biscuits.

Posted by: ajakeski
Date: December 26, 2009 05:51PM
Our Newf ate a plate of taco dip last night and a pile of dill pickles while no one was watching the food table.
No negative repercussions so far.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 26, 2009 06:06PM
I've seen our dog eat calf poop and he's in super shape but I did break him eating it. We don't
feed him a lot of leftovers. He does however take a liking to rawhide chews. We try to buy the
large ones at Sam's that are supposedly from Range Fed Cattle, not sure if I believe that or not.
We also have to keep him away from afterbirth, he's crazy about that stuff. I try get it ASAP and
either bury it or throw into a big stump hole where only the creatures of the night can get hold of it.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 06:08PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 26, 2009 06:23PM
Spiced ham? Smoked ham? Marinated? Salted?

Do we need new threads about what human foods are poison to dogs every week?

Don't feed your dog table scraps. It doesn't matter that your dad/uncle/crazy-neighbor got away with feeding his dog garlic, onion and frisée mash for 15 years. Poison is poison. Don't do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 06:25PM by Doc.
Date: December 26, 2009 06:28PM
Grateful11
I've seen our dog eat calf poop and he's in super shape but I did break him eating it. We don't
feed him a lot of leftovers. He does however take a liking to rawhide chews. We try to buy the
large ones at Sam's that are supposedly from Range Fed Cattle, not sure if I believe that or not.
We also have to keep him away from afterbirth, he's crazy about that stuff. I try get it ASAP and
either bury it or throw into a big stump hole where only the creatures of the night can get hold of it.

Just a little too much information there Grateful. smiling smiley

Date: December 26, 2009 06:50PM
Racer X
wait till you feed a dog all you can eat salmon. There was spray all the way up to the ceiling. Very glad it wasn't my house or my dog. All those Omega-3s were a problem for a dog with a normally low fat diet.

Just be glad the dog got the salmon and not the guts. My uncle used to fish from Neah Bay. He had a cute little terrier that went with him everywhere, including out in the boat, and one day the dog was grubbing around in the fish guts as my uncle was cleaning the salmon. That was the end of that little guy. sad smiley
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 26, 2009 08:04PM
graylocks
we shared christmas dinner with our little schnoodle. spiral ham. all he could eat and the bone. last night he was in heaven. today he is sick as a, well, dog.

too much too soon or did i do something wrong?

Angus loves ham but we don't let him or the hounds do ham bones anymore. They always seem to get sick when they ate the bone but never a problem with some ham scraps as extra flavor to the kibble. And as noted too much fat will cause pancreatitis and it's not fun for the dog or the person who has to clean up.

I should note that I'm sitting here typing this while being gassed out by turkey farts from three very content dogs! eek2 smiley

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 26, 2009 08:06PM
We have one larger dog that can eat just about anything and never have a problem. We jokingly call her our garbage dog. The other larger dog is pretty rugged, too. The two small dogs on the other hand--the Bichon in particular--can't tolerate much outside their regular dog food diet. Better to be safe and love them with attention rather than food.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: December 26, 2009 08:31PM
Hey CJ, we also have a bichon. He can't eat just anything, but loves pizza crust which I can't resist sharing with him. He gets just a little of the outside crust that has no topping on it. He gets excited when a pizza comes into the house.

Aren't they wonderful dogs?
Posted by: decay
Date: December 26, 2009 08:39PM
we had a min-pin who lived to be 14 at least.

she ate chocolate, too, which we're always told will KILL a dog.

apparently, not so in all cases.
Date: December 26, 2009 09:13PM
decay
she ate chocolate, too, which we're always told will KILL a dog.

It's one of those "NEVERs" that the world seems to insist on. The truth is that what is too much chocolate for one dog won't hurt another. I reckon somebody decided there were too many dumb people in the world who couldn't be trusted to use common sense, so telling the dumb ones never to do something was prudent. Louie, too, enjoys a crumb of chocolate every once in a while, and our last dog made his way through almost an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies that the kids left sitting unguarded on the coffee table. My friend's Golden ate the entire pan of brownies that were still cooling. None were any the worse off for their brush with chocolate, except to want more.
Posted by: decay
Date: December 26, 2009 10:25PM
i heard about another dog who ate a whole package of something chocolate, and lived for many years after that.

what's this i've been hearing now about dogs & grapes?

[www.snopes.com]

[www.dogbreedinfo.com]

of the 10 cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins.

2 lbs of raisins? dang!

[www.vetinfo.com]

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
- Alcoholic beverages
- Avocado
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Salt
- Yeast dough
- Garlic
- Products sweetened with xylitol

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 26, 2009 10:41PM
AlphaDog
My friend's Golden ate the entire pan of brownies that were still cooling. None were any the worse off for their brush with chocolate, except to want more.

I have a friend who fell out of a helicopter, dropped about 200 feet and only broke his shoulder.

Hey!

Let's all try that!!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 27, 2009 07:11AM
Racer X

but you were there and saw it???
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 27, 2009 11:26AM
If you're going to feed your dog ham, don't forget the cheese.
Date: December 27, 2009 11:49AM
freeradical
If you're going to feed your dog ham, don't forget the cheese.

And rye.

In terms of chocolate and dogs, I found a neat chart. There are several types of chocolate listed, and the chart will show how much chocolate is harmful, and to what degree, based on the dog's weight. At 75 pounds, it's not surprising that Louie could eat more chocolate without effects than either of kap's little guys.

[ngm.nationalgeographic.com]
Date: December 27, 2009 12:34PM
harley seems back to his perky self today. whew! i've only given him a bit of bread and a spoonful of pumpkin. he seems a tad hungry but we'll go slow and see how his system is doing.

no more ham for him, though.

Date: December 27, 2009 06:11PM
graylocks
harley seems back to his perky self today. whew! i've only given him a bit of bread and a spoonful of pumpkin. he seems a tad hungry but we'll go slow and see how his system is doing.

no more ham for him, though.

Glad to hear he is feeling better. grinning smiley

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 27, 2009 07:19PM
We give our dog a bit of ham now and then, but never the ham bone. Years ago we let him have one and he was sick afterwards. Plus it seems that cooked ham bones are splintery and can get lodged in their digestive tract. Most cooked bones are too risky in my view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login