Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.30 ( +0.80 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Son runs through glass window
Posted by: Drew
Date: June 05, 2010 08:56AM
At a friends house goofing around. He remembers opening the sliding glass door and thought it was still open when he went barreling through it. As he fell, a shard of glass sliced through his shin, an inch or two deep (I saw it in the emergency room before they stitched him up). Got 12 stitches and they sent him home. He can't walk but is already bragging to his friends calling up about the scar he's going to have.

The first day he visited our house during the adoption process at the age of 2 1/2, he jumped off the couch and busted his head open on the coffee table. He went to the hospital in the ambulance that day and we were afraid that the orphanage wouldn't let us have him. At about 3 1/2, he jumped into the 10 foot deep end of the pool without floaters and without knowing how to swim twice on the same vacation. Went straight to the bottom and his older brother and I had to fish him out.

He's 12 now. What's next? (Maybe I don't want to know.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Son runs through glass window
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 05, 2010 09:00AM
He has made it to 12, odds are good he will make it to 18.

At least he wasn't doing it for video in this "YouTube Generation"
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 05, 2010 09:05AM
Why parents go gray... smiling smiley Glad your son is okay--he certainly approaches everything with exuberance and passion, doesn't he? Hope the teen years are a bit calmer, for your heart's sake.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 05, 2010 09:09AM
Thank God he's okay. Ooooh. That's scary. I'm guessing he's had his share of physical calamity. Everything good from now on.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 05, 2010 09:17AM
When I was a kid I jumped through a glass window in the screen door. Just about gave my mom a heart attack. I came out the other side without a scratch. I thought I was superman.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: June 05, 2010 09:21AM
Glad your son is OK, Drew. Ya gotta have faith that everything's really happening just the way it should whether we think so or not.

"Steady as she goes,Mr. Sulu."
Posted by: Grace62
Date: June 05, 2010 09:26AM
So glad your son is OK! Risk takers often achieve great things...
Date: June 05, 2010 09:37AM
Grace62
So glad your son is OK! Risk takers often achieve great things...

He's not so much a risk taker as a do first think later kind of kid. My father's favorite quote when I was a kid was "Why don't you think a little bit?!" when I did something stupid. My brother and I vowed that we would never say that to our kids. I've never said it, at least not in full, but it's been on my lips many times. Thanks all for the kind words. He's going to be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 09:38AM by Drew.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 05, 2010 09:51AM
Sounds like me when I was a kid. I was a regular visitor to the emergency room and my junior high yearbooks are full of comments like "hope you make it through the summer". My epic accident was a 1 3/4 somersault on a trampoline with no guards...came down face first on the frame...spurting blood everywhere and 13 stitches in my forehead and nose. My parents thought I was gonna die. I still have the scars. I grew out of the frequent accident mode by about age 18 so there's still hope.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 05, 2010 10:04AM
Wild ponies make life amusing... your son is lucky in so many ways... he survives his own extremes and he has you.... cha cha cha cha changes *(:>* Huge smile and some energy to deal with the future *(:>*
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 05, 2010 10:15AM
My boy was about 8 or 9 when he ran through a friends sliding screen door going to the deck. It kind of popped out and bent back into shape.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 05, 2010 10:21AM
The moral of this story is:

Do not clean your sliding glass doors.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 05, 2010 10:34AM
Wow, I didn't realize there were still patio doors out there that weren't made of safety glass! At least now the people will have to replace it, so when your son goes through it again he won't get cut as badly. Just kidding! smiling smiley I'm certainly glad he's OK.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: June 05, 2010 11:37AM
I went through a drugstore door with my legs. In slow motion I remember the top pane of glass coming down, like a guillotine, and me pushing out of its way just in time. This was around 1976. The next day it was replaced with something new I had never seen (much of) before. Plexiglass.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 05, 2010 12:02PM
Next time, use one of these: [www.kaboodle.com]-... (weird URL!)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 12:04PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 05, 2010 12:05PM
similar to Mini9, I went backward through a single pane window in my mid-20s and the whole time I was thinking that I was going to sever a mainline or get mangled. and, all that was going through my head was how I had just completed a solo trip through a foreign continent for two months with numerous crazy encounters and I was going down in such a stupid way. to this day I am amazed that I walked away without so much as a scratch. I lost at least one of my nine lives that day.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 05, 2010 12:18PM
Chicks dig scars.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: June 05, 2010 12:35PM
Well, his brain won't mature until he's 25, so me thinks you've got some more 'act first, think later' coming ;)

sounds like he may be a "Type T" personality

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

enjoy the ride. Glad he's ok.

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 05, 2010 12:44PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Chicks dig scars.

In La Puente so many gurls wear the scars of broken hearts because of N-OS-X-tasy *(:>*
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 05, 2010 01:10PM
I didn't start doing the real damage until after I left LP, Rudie. smiling smiley

It's so good to see you back here, buddy! It's sounds like everything's going right in your life these days - I'm thrilled for you!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 05, 2010 01:59PM
Good to hear he will be okay. Got two boys of my own, 12 and 7. If running through a glass window is the only issue you have had, thank your lucky stars. My boys have their own share of stitches, kids can do some crazy stuff.

A few years back my cousin (6 at the time) ran into the street and ran into a moving car. Scared the @#$%& out of my aunt, she was in the front yard with him when it happened.

Joe
Posted by: LyleH
Date: June 05, 2010 02:02PM
A long time ago a neighborhood girl died from the cuts inflicted when she went through a glass patio door. As AlphaDog says, I surely hope they replace the glass with Safety Glass.

LyleH
Posted by: Black
Date: June 05, 2010 02:48PM
Sorry to barge in with textbook knowledgem but statistically a head injury increases the chances of future head injuries.
I suspect that there was damage before the coffee table incident-- this is a case for a neurologist and developmental therapists, not just a "personality thing." He's impulsive and apparently has some deficits in depth perception and/or figure/ground. Prefrontal and parieto-occipital. Coup/countercoup.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: June 05, 2010 02:54PM
Ha! Kids!

I put my hand through a glass door in college - took a swipe at the push button handle and missed. Cut myself pretty good doing that.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 05, 2010 05:06PM
I was at summer camp during my teen years and we were horsing around, as guys are prone to do, There was a non-safety glass door with a frame about the strength of a screen door between the sleeping quarters and the bathroom. I was chasing a guy after he did something to me and he, thinking that it would slow me down, slammed the glass door shut right in front of me. I remember putting my arm up to shield my face from the door and then the door shattering as my arm went through it.

I must have gone into shock immediately, because I remember looking at my forearm and remarking how cool it was to see the bone, and wow, the bone is white. Then I thought that I really should get to the infirmary, this probably wasn't so good, so I sauntered, not ran, over to the infirmary and caused the nurse to almost pass out, she became totally white! I wasn't feeling any pain. Needless to say I got put in a car and whisked to emergency, where I got many, many stitches. I was lucky, if the arm would have been turned differently ever so slightly, I would have severed a major nerve and lost the feeling and use of that arm.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 05, 2010 05:51PM
I rode a bike into a wall when I was about 11 or so. Bike went straight up...then proceeded to flip over with me beneath it. Cwazeeeee....
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: June 05, 2010 08:11PM
Lordy, all these stories! It's a miracle so many of you lived to populate this board. I'm so glad you did smiling smiley
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 05, 2010 08:26PM
I used to take my nephew ice skating at the local arena. One time, when he was around 7, he skated up to hug me from behind. His legs continued forward between mine, tilting me off balance and we both went down. He landed flat on his back, and I pancaked the same, right on top of him. Amazing that we both walked away unscathed.
Date: June 05, 2010 10:30PM
Thanks all again for the nice comments. We live overseas, where safety glass isn't used, at least not in residences to my knowledge. He's a great kid and I'm glad that it wasn't worse. Probably won't the last time he does something whacky.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 05, 2010 11:06PM
This reminds me of an unforgettable scene in the movie A Home at the End of the World involving a sliding glass door.

Posted by: Black
Date: June 06, 2010 03:23PM
Drew
Thanks all again for the nice comments. We live overseas, where safety glass isn't used, at least not in residences to my knowledge. He's a great kid and I'm glad that it wasn't worse. Probably won't the last time he does something whacky.

River in Egypt etc. etc.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 07, 2010 08:57AM
Fearless can be a good thing. As noted, he has survived this far and will continue to survive.

But teach him First Aid ! (yes, on himself). I can't even begin to count the number of times I dragged myself home bleeding from one place or another when I was a kid. Bike crashes, falling out of trees, falling off cliffs, getting hit by a car, whatever. And I'm 50 now, but I don't do that stuff any more.. I break more easily now (except for the parts that are stainless steel).

And I remember a babysitter putting her hand through our front glass door during a game of 'Tag" when I was a tyke, and slicing into the main blood vessel in her wrist. We got it wrapped and got her to the hospital- I think a neighbor drove her. Blood sure sprays a long way !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 08:57AM by cbelt3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login