advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Generic/3rd party batteries for Canon Cameras?
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 11, 2010 05:21PM
Just bought a 7D. It's pretty hard on the battery, so I was looking on ebay for a deal on some batteries and possibly a battery grip.

I'm finding a lot of 3rd party ones that are cheap cheap cheap. Canon original ones are chipped somehow to only work with Canon equipment but a search for "LP-E6 decoded" turns up lots of batteries which should work.

Anyone have any experience with third party batteries for Canon?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Generic/3rd party batteries for Canon Cameras?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: September 11, 2010 06:14PM
SterlingTek
Most guys here use this site

All my extra batteries for my Canon 20D came from SterlingTek... *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 06:15PM by haikuman.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 11, 2010 06:15PM
I would really stay with Canon stuff. I know they're expensive but I still have batteries in 5 year old cameras that work fine. Get the battery grip if you need more juice.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 11, 2010 07:12PM
I've had lousy luck with generics.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 11, 2010 07:53PM
Ditto. Bought a generic for my Canon G3 (might be the same battery as your 7D), and it really sucked.
Didn't hold a charge for long *AT ALL*. I was used to the stock battery on the G3 which held a charge for a very long time (that was one thing the G3 was known for, in fact).

Some of you may remember me posting that I had sent my wife off to Hawaii with the G3 and didn't pack the charger because I was just sure it would last long enough (the original one would have I had just gotten the battery, and didn't know its shortcomings). The battery died within two days. I was posting here on the forum to see if anyone was in Hawaii who could help her out! (It was a long shot, I know!).

I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a Canon battery and it has been MUCH better.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 12, 2010 01:41AM
I buy generics all the time. Never had a problem. Nikon, Canon, MacBook Pro, Sony, etc. How hard can a battery be to make? I find Sterlingtek to be kinda ritzy. I bought 2 extra batteries plus a charger for my HTC Evo for just 9.99 (free shipping) on eBay. They work great.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: September 12, 2010 02:26AM
There may be different qualities, manufactures, production dates that affect pricing....

[www.amazon.com]

[sterlingtek.com]

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 02:31AM by haikuman.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 12, 2010 03:31AM
vision63
I buy generics all the time. Never had a problem. Nikon, Canon, MacBook Pro, Sony, etc. How hard can a battery be to make? I find Sterlingtek to be kinda ritzy. I bought 2 extra batteries plus a charger for my HTC Evo for just 9.99 (free shipping) on eBay. They work great.

The worst thing about a cheap grenade/LiIon battery is that it may or may not explode, and when that may or may not happen is random.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 12, 2010 07:42AM
Racer X
vision63

The worst thing about a cheap grenade/LiIon battery is that it may or may not explode, and when that may or may not happen is random.

I'm dozens in. Has never happened. Now I've had problems with every single Apple portable battery. So much for that particular brand name.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2010 10:56AM
Racer X

How is that different from all the OEM batteries that have had similar problems? smiling smiley

I've been rotating a generic with my OEM Canon battery in my G11 since I've had it. Haven't noticed a difference, but I'm never taking several hundred shots at one time to deplete the battery that quickly.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 12, 2010 05:41PM
I've been using generic replacement batteries for Canon, Panasonic and Nikon digital cameras since the original Canon Digital Elph - the 2 megapixel one. Mostly Canons in this inventory, however.

These batteries were normally used in a rotation - one in charger, one in camera, etc. I cannot say I've noticed any significant life expectancy advantage to the OEM batteries. My wife's batteries for her older Panasonic ALL died at the same time - both the original and 2 generics hit the wall within the same month. Very odd, but made me think the death was due to simply a combination of shelf-life and regular use. I DID rule out the possibility of death by the charger.

Just checked my records, some batteries came from batteries.com (they do not carry a full inventory in my experience, so they are not a guaranteed one-stop shopping), and individual orders from batteryspace.com and bargainbasementbattery.com. Can't add more than the batteries worked as advertised in each case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020