advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is there any third party wirless (airport replacements) devices that actually work with tiger?
Posted by: thekingofboggle
Date: May 15, 2006 02:25PM
i got the quote for adding an airport card to my dual core powermac g5 and it was $160 canadian plus they had to install it to keep my warranty. i tried a dlink wireless usb adapter and it was pretty sketchy with the 10.4 drivers. is there anything that will actually work or should i just bite the bullet and get the airport card installed?
Options:  Reply • Quote
How about Buffalo?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 15, 2006 02:32PM
I believe Buffalo ones play very nicely with Mac stuff. . .or so I've read. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: is there any third party wirless (airport replacements) devices that actually work with tiger?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 15, 2006 02:35PM
The DLink is a piece of crap.

I have two of the 11B units, and their range was sometimes less than what I could throw
a feather.

The driver/control panel by "Prism" is OK - but the icon even degraded into a question mark with the last version I had (v1.47) and a name so long it covers up other items.

And I don't know how to get rid of it.

Because you are talking about an internal, this won't help - but I, too, was not happy with Airport prices - and went PCMCIA via Belkin for ~$30-$35. Card is native, requires nothing in Panther/Tiger.

I thought I recall OWC Larry posting something about an airport replacement option that was non-apple, but I don't recall if that was like an Orinoco OEM card or like the one I'm using that is PCMCIA.

Unless you are within sight of the router for your Tower - don't get your hopes too high for the DLink (or presumably any other USB variant). Also, I found that they MUST occupy a spot within the unit, and not within a hub. Another loser feature.
Re: How about Buffalo?
Date: May 15, 2006 02:41PM
thanks for the sympathy jimmypoo. now does belkin have something that would work on pci express slots? or pci/x only?
Re: is there any third party wirless (airport replacements) devices that actually work with tiger?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 15, 2006 03:05PM
[www.macwiki.net]

Look for cards which work with the native apple driver.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 15, 2006 04:22PM
That is a very nice chart they link to!!

[broadcom.rapla.net]
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 15, 2006 05:05PM
Jimmypoo, Where is that icon you can't get rid of. If it is in the system prefs control click will give you the option to get rid of it.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: May 15, 2006 05:09PM
Even given the exchange rate, the Airport upgrade shouldn't cost that much.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 15, 2006 06:46PM
I've purchased 2 Airport Extreme cards for $50 each on craigslist. They both work perfectly (one in fact was brand new - sealed). Look around, you should find one cheaper than $160. They go for $79 new, so like chas_m points out, even with the exchange rate that price is too high. Also, the airport card is user installable upgrade and will not void your Apple warranty.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 16, 2006 12:27AM
$69 US at the Apple Store online special deal refurb.

Remember--you will need the T shaped antenna on early models of the Dual G5--look above the USB ports--see if you have a spot for Bluetooth and Wif antennas. Otherwise, the newer ones have a Dark Grey vertical strip that has the antennas
Date: May 16, 2006 10:55AM
i was told that on the new powermac g5's (like my dual core 2.0) it is a airport and bluetooth combo. you can't get one without the other. also they said it was not user installable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020