advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Opinion Poll: When will we see the first iPad "revision"/Speed Bump?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 16, 2010 12:34PM
Poll
When will a new "model" or "revision" of the iPad come out?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
38 votes were received.
Never... that iPad thing is a passing fad, it'll never catch on. Like that iPod. 0

0%
Quite soon - probably a matter of weeks 1

3%
More than a few weeks, but in time for the christmas rush 13

34%
Not a prayer for christmas, but by the end of January 12

32%
"Spring" ish. 11

29%
Next summer at the earliest 1

2%
A year or more - they'll squeeze ever sale out of the current lineup first! 0

0%

Not looking for "gospel" or hard facts... we all know that there are none coming from the Lair of the Great Steve.

Curious to know what YOU think...
When will we most likely see the first "speed bump" upgrade, or the first "revised model" - and that could be minor changes or major ones like a new 7" model or some such thing...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Opinion Poll: When will we see the first iPad "revision"/Speed Bump?
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 16, 2010 12:45PM
I would guess that it will be on a 1 year upgrade cycle just like all the other iOS devices.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 16, 2010 12:56PM
I think Apple is going to be more aggressive on the first iPad release or two. Like the original iPhone, there are obvious ways to improve it without inventing new technology.

And Apple does NOT want to lose out in this market to Android. Phones are a messy market; Apple is defining the tablet category (like the iPod).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 12:56PM by sekker.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: September 16, 2010 01:00PM
They will upgrade it the first Tuesday after I buy one!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 16, 2010 01:11PM
M>B>;
LOL.. well, truth be known, that's my fear, and why I created the poll!
I am trying to hold out until the first "revision"... but I WANT ONE!

I think I can hold out until after christmas... but not sure how much LONGER than that I can wait!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 16, 2010 01:22PM
Has the rumor accuracy improved on these things? there was a rumor frenzy leading up to the ipad launch, the iphone4 launch, and the ipod upgrade. In the old days, say the macbook or the cube, the rumors were wildly off, but these days it seems unlikely that a new ipad is going to hit the shelves and there wouldn't be serious build up in advance.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 16, 2010 01:25PM
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Paul. I want one to replace my aging and somewhat unreliable powerbook which I use for web browsing (we already have other macs in the house so I don't want to buy another computer), but I would also really like it to have a facetime camera so I can videochat with my english cousins. Christmas would be ideal but I'll wait if I have to.

If you look at macrumors buyers guide, most of the apple products have upgrade cycles of around 200 to 250 days. Since the iPad launched in april, 200 days would be november, so a christmas update might not be completely unreasonable.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 16, 2010 01:43PM
Don't have a clue regarding the WHEN, but an iPad with Retina display would break down every possible defense I might otherwise muster.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 16, 2010 04:52PM
deckeda
Don't have a clue regarding the WHEN, but an iPad with Retina display would break down every possible defense I might otherwise muster.

That would be about a 2400x1800 pixel display which would be horribly expensive. It won't happen anytime soon. However a bump from 1024x768 to 1280x960 or 1440x1050 could be doable at a similar price point.

Maybe for $100 extra you could get the higher-rez display and still keep the 1024x768 as the entry-level model.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 16, 2010 05:22PM
Can't answer the question. But, based upon a WSJ article the iPad may be having a bigger impact than expected:

In an article in The Wall Street Journal earlier this week on the prevalence of gadgets over traditional computers and TVs for the upcoming holiday shopping season, Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn is quoted as saying that his company is seeing the iPad cannibalizing sales of traditional notebook PCs by "as much as 50%".

Best Buy said smartphone sales continued to rise compared with a year ago, as did portable computer totals, buoyed by the iPad.

However, television sales fell despite the rollout of new 3D models, with both average prices and total volumes notching "low-double digit" declines compared with last year. Mr. Dunn also said internal estimates showed that the iPad had cannibalized sales from laptop PCs by as much as 50%.

"It's a very different environment now," said Stephen Baker, the chief electronics analyst for market researcher NPD Group Inc. "The real cool stuff now will be the tablets, e-readers and probably the higher-end digital cameras."
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 16, 2010 06:23PM
Almost immediately, since I just bought one!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 17, 2010 01:51AM
I'm betting it will be an annual thing like the 'Phone.

The next version will have more RAM. Faster processor? Maybe. I don't think there will be a Retina display on the next version unless Apple offers a smaller 'Pad. A camera, eventually, but that doesn't appeal to me.

Even though I think I might like to upgrade to 3G, I'll probably wait until Rev 3.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 17, 2010 10:22AM
Digitimes reports that touch panel and glass suppliers are completing validation for Apple's second generation iPad.
Apple is expected to launch the second-generation iPad in the first-quarter of 2011, the suppliers noted.

Component shipments are expected in the beginning of 2011 with product launch in the 1st Quarter of the year.

Apple has been expected to add a front-facing camera to the next generation iPad to offer FaceTime video conferencing across all their mobile devices.

Mac Rumors
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: September 17, 2010 02:35PM
If it's not available for Xmas rush, then not until Spring at earliest. Little reason to bring out upgrade in early part of year as it won't affect sales too much.

With that being said, if we don't hear about a special event in the next few weeks, it probably won't happen this year. I'd say if we don't have an inkling of it happening before middle of October, it will be April before new model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020