advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple, Google, Intel, other tech firms admit secret agreements to not poach employees
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 25, 2010 09:01AM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 09:17AM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple, Google, Intel, other tech firms admit secret agreements to not poach employees
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 25, 2010 09:10AM
The google/apple agreement was overt. Not sure why this is news except that this is no longer allowed.
Re: Apple, Google, Intel, other tech firms admit secret agreements to not poach employees
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 25, 2010 09:17AM
Your right, I have deleted the post.

sekker
The google/apple agreement was overt. Not sure why this is news except that this is no longer allowed.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2010 09:48AM
Not sure why this is news except that this is no longer allowed.

Well, it wasn't *really* overt.

It was and is illegal, was not allowed. There were charges filed and people were wondering the outcome.

As a developing story, a settlement was submitted yesterday. Some of us are curious as to whether or not it will be accepted. If it isn't, then the charges aren't dropped and the saga continues.

But the settlement will probably be accepted.

[www.google.com]

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: September 25, 2010 04:08PM
I remember a little quote from """4 Way Street""" something along the lines """ you wouldn't want to play mumbley peg with him"""

Talent is often underestimated...

Crosby screws up at the beginning [of "Right Between The Eyes" on 4 Way Street], and the conversation between he and Nash goes something like this:

Crosby: "Sorry...I never would have believed that you could tune and start on the same note, but you could do it."

Nash: "I didn't believe it either..."

Crosby: "He's quicker than most normal human beings, and sometimes I forget. He is very quick. You don't want to play Mumbly-peg with him, he'll steal your leg!"

Seeking talented individuals is normal, and so is hustling them from competitors.

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 25, 2010 04:29PM
I guess I just live in the real world, not one invented by lawyers. Of COURSE this is 'illegal'. But so are bribes in most countries. At the same time, most international companies include bribes as a part of their cost analysis.

I've known about the arrangement between Apple and Google for at least a decade. My point is this - why are the lawyers feeding now?

Talent in these companies is EVERYTHING. I have one programmer in my group that is worth at least 10 of the generic software jocks in IT. Not only is he profoundly faster than that crew, but he readily solves problems that have been on the formal software docket for years.

You don't readily find such talent above the average pool unless you are lucky; Instead, you need good contacts and excellent word of mouth (not 'cold calls'). Even if this gets passed, the REAL talent pool is still going to be hard to find!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 04:30PM by sekker.
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 26, 2010 06:53AM
I don't really understand why this is illegal. (Yes I read the article.) They make it sound like it's anti-worker, by somehow artificially keeping compensations low, but that's a weak argument. If you're a superstar engineer at Intel, there's nothing stopping you from sending your credentials to Apple or Google if you're looking for a better job. Just because you don't get cold called with offers doesn't mean your offers are restricted.

I've never been cold called with an offer, am I somehow repressed too? Where's the lawsuit on my behalf?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 26, 2010 02:26PM
DRR
Where's the lawsuit on my behalf?

Maybe you're qualified for "the job" but perhaps there are 6,000,000,000 other people more qualified!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 26, 2010 02:33PM
btw... from the headhunter perspective, the ease with which they (recruiters) could make money by
knowing all those organizations, those are a party that should also be enjoined in this suit, because
the competition/price setting of salaries is often done specifically at the advice of the recruiter who
happens to know how entire divisions are structured and the salaries within them.

If I were recruiting CS people and EEs in the valley, I'd be furious about this. Such a thing was in
effect between Dow and Exxon during the timeframe that Dow was buying Union Carbide. It was
a "gentlemen's agreement" and cost me well over $150,000 of income that could never materialize.

The people who wanted out of UC - they were not happy, and as a recruiter, trying to get them anywhere
else other than their primary competitors, it was a disaster for them - because they would always
be the "conquered" and lower on the totem pole, as the buyer always cuts/retires these people, and
they wanted out before the due diligence was complete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020