advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ZumoCast = very cool, free streaming app (at least so far)
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 25, 2010 04:09PM
I've been using this system for the last day for connecting your media (especially movies) in the cloud and then access via iOS devices.

So far, this has been sweet and easy to use; essentially what should have been built-in to iTunes for media streaming. Once installed, you can access the files from the cloud via your iOS devices - and it will automatically convert the files to an appropriate format for the client device. This means my over 1TB of converted DVDs are ready to be streamed anywhere. It also has the option to download the file directly to your device for offline viewing, but that seems to be a lot slower than the streaming option.

Works fine on the iPhone. But the interface from the iPad is REALLY nice.

Haven't tested the streaming outside my household, but it SHOULD work anywhere you have a decent internet connection. They claim it CAN work over 3G; haven't tried.

So far, the iOS and the desktop software are free. Some postings indicate software issues, so as usual, YMMV. If you have an iPad, this makes watching your entire library, or listening to your music library, available to you. It will also allow you to share documents (I've tried pdfs and word docs). Worked well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 04:09PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ZumoCast = very cool, free streaming app (at least so far)
Posted by: IronMac
Date: September 25, 2010 04:38PM
Wish they had a bit more info as to how this all works.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: September 25, 2010 05:53PM
Why do they need your email address use the app?
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 25, 2010 07:12PM
Thanks for the link......

oh wait, there is no link......

banghead smiley
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 25, 2010 09:56PM
Here is a link. Yes, I get a referral, but if the OP posts one, follow his.
[www.zumocast.com]

I am on my way home posting from my iPhone, but I will post lots about it when I get home in about 30 minutes. ZumoCast rocks!!!
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 25, 2010 10:54PM
Everything Sekker said is spot on.

I have tried 3g and it is remarkable---even with less than 3 bars.

You also have the option of using your browser on the Mac or PC to see files on another computer.

I just connected at home on my network, and then I was shocked when I had to drive my mother to the Doctor, and on a lark, I decided to try viewing a movie from ,y MacBook Pro---and like magic it was there. Of, course it didn't start where I had left off, but i was using a different device on a different network--but it just worked.

I think they give you 2 GB of online storage for free, and it seems you can pre-cache video.

One of the most amazing things is that it seems to play almost any video. I haven't found one that will not play. I really LOVE this APP, and you can't beat the price.

SKYLANE-The email address is for your username for your account-make it the same for all devices, and like magic you will see the videos.

It also has the options for me to download documents stored on my Mac to my iPhone.
Posted by: polska
Date: September 26, 2010 07:17AM
Nice, but how is this different from Orb and Didiom?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 26, 2010 09:48AM
Not sure about the other options, but I'd find it hard to be easier and cleaner. If someone here has tried several of these options, I'd like to hear their opinions on advantages and challenges of each.

I did not post a link - I was not looking to get the referral bonus but to express an objective review.

I'm going to be interested in seeing how it deals with firewall issues from work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020