advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Great Solid State HD Debate... (vote/comment here)
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 27, 2010 09:47AM
Poll
30 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Would You Trade "UP" to a Smaller Ultra-Fast 64GB boot drive for the right price & put OEM drive external?

Would you consider removing the 120GB to 500GB HD that shipping with your Mac laptop
with a smaller, 64GB Solid State Drive, just for the extra fly speed for typical tasks, and
require yourself a small, pocket case to keep the old drive, to hold data for bigger projects?

You could still boot into the external drive, but for everyday stuff - if the price was right and
the speed (if verified) were lightening fast, would the $10 external case (and cost of an SSD)
be of interest to you?

Or is just getting a larger drive for internal use a better idea for you?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Great Solid State HD Debate... (vote/comment here)
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 27, 2010 09:55AM
I prefer a large internal drive. A little while back, I bought a used 15" MBP 2.93 (fastest 15" with an ExpressCard slot, note to Apple: bring back the 15" ExpressCard slot and you'll get my money) and it came with a 256GB SSD.

I immediately swapped it out with my 640GB drive and tried to sell the SSD, but after failing to get a worthwhile price, I've decided to keep it and replace my optical drive with the SSD so that I can keep the 640GB in the regular bay (so that I can eventually upgrade it to 1TB, if needed).

I have the optical drive adapter, just have to get around do doing the swap and moving my files.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 27, 2010 10:01AM
A real power user would say no. Pay the money and get a 240 GB, or even dual SSD units for insane speed. One big problem for anybody without an ExpressCard is slow external access.

It would all be moot if Apple included one of the eSATA ports that supplies power. Then you just plug in your external 1.8" 1TB SSD and blast along (well, maybe in a few years).

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 10:03AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: September 27, 2010 10:05AM
I don't understand why Apple does away with some of the stuff that gives us external connection
options. It surely can't cost that much, and embedded systems on a single small chip just can't
take up any room, since they were all there on previous models of the same size!

Case in point - the Oxford controller for FW 400 and/or 800.

I don't think I would ever part with my optical - if the SSD is so much faster by itself, what would be
the point of splitting the system for more speed (or are you talking about just a mirror?).

My brain is stuck - what the hell is it called when you split a drive into two, and need both to boot,
and are fscked if one goes bad?
Date: September 27, 2010 10:13AM
Jimmypoo
I don't think I would ever part with my optical - if the SSD is so much faster by itself, what would be
the point of splitting the system for more speed (or are you talking about just a mirror?).

To have the best of both, speed and capacity. They would be two independent drives. The SSD would contain the OS and apps and some select files, while the regular drive would just be storage for the rest of my files. The regular drive could even be unmounted and the system could run just on the SSD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 10:14AM by Gareth.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 27, 2010 10:13AM
And yet most common users have no use for more than 20G or so. (Keep in mind that 4GB or RAM is the new "640K" of RAM)

Heckfire, I can remember when I had an option to put my OS into RAM on my Mac Plus. Sped that sucker up a LOT !
Posted by: Tofer
Date: September 27, 2010 10:16AM
Jimmypoo
I don't understand why Apple does away with some of the stuff that gives us external connection
options. It surely can't cost that much, and embedded systems on a single small chip just can't
take up any room, since they were all there on previous models of the same size!

I hear you, but have you seen how they cram things into the laptops? I think the size of the graphics card was the limiting factor for the newer i5 based 15" MacBook Pros--something had to go, so they replaced the express card slot with the SD card reader. I'd love an express card slot, but I really like the snappy graphics and the i5. smiling smiley
Date: September 27, 2010 10:20AM
The thing about "most users" is that they probably wouldn't appreciate the speed if their needs
are worth only 20GB, don't you think?

It would be great if we could designate a RAM disk via ROM, to create it if you had 4GB or more.
My MacBook has an upgraded 320GB, but it was standard spec. 5400/8MB cache. I would like to try
both a smaller SSD and a faster standard drive (such as a 7200/32MB cache) and compare their
feel. I know the SSD should kill it, but the feel of the speed would be the real winner. Boot time, and
overall apps launch for bigger apps (Photoshop would be the only CS app that I'd have to have on
my machine. Office doesn't get used much by me. I tend to use TextEdit as much as I can, and I
have iWork, but have yet to even use it in the past 2 years.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: September 27, 2010 10:26AM
im more interested in the Seagate Hybrid drive
available at our host's website....

[eshop.macsales.com]

best of both worlds.. disk space and speed
Date: September 27, 2010 10:28AM
Jimmypoo
It would be great if we could designate a RAM disk via ROM, to create it if you had 4GB or more.

You may want to look into Seagate's hybrid drives. They have a 500GB 7200/32MB with 4GB of SLC (faster than MLC) solid state storage built in. How it determines what to store in solid state versus rotational drive, I don't know, but it's supposed to be fast.

It's $110 right now at Newegg.com [www.newegg.com]
Date: September 27, 2010 10:37AM
Gareth

You may want to look into Seagate's hybrid drives.

I've seen them, but because of Seagate's serious problems with the 7200/10 series (pretty sure that's the
right series - whatever was out in 2006, as the 7200 / 500GB drives) they lied to everyone about there
being a problem with the drive, and blamed everyone but themselves until cornered.

I'm hoping Hitachi or Samsung will come out with the same type of drive, and I might go for that.
I've only got use right now for 2.5" drives, but that may change when a 2TB becomes a $75 or less bargain.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 27, 2010 10:39AM
"Most People" rules now. Apple is now a media/communications company. I almost think they would dump the computers if they sold more songs, phones, and pads.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 10:39AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 27, 2010 10:40AM
I'd snap one up in a second for my wife's laptop if they weren't so dang expensive.

Posted by: ADent
Date: September 27, 2010 10:53AM
I just upgraded two laptop drives to 7200rpm. Couldn't justify an SSD.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 27, 2010 11:17AM
I have the hybrid drive in my mini now. So 4 GB of SSD + 500 GB of storage. It was noticibly faster after I installed it (didn't really benchmark and to the extent I did, I have long lost those notes). My guess is that is not anywhere near as fast as a straight SSD. Sometimes it surprises me with how fast it can be though. But like Gareth, I prefer one large internal with everything. For the first time, I have a valid double back up strategy now (time machine + superduper clone).
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 27, 2010 11:40AM
Christmas is almost here.
OWC Larry will offer this one to us for $149.00
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 480GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Solid-State Drive
[eshop.macsales.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: September 27, 2010 01:13PM
Buck
Christmas is almost here.
OWC Larry will offer this one to us for $149.00
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD 480GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Solid-State Drive
[eshop.macsales.com]

Yeah, I wish. I almost bit on the 40GB for $99 from last month. Right now, I have a 250GB drive in my MacBook, and it has about 200GB on it. I'd have to seriously slim down what I have in order to justify the cost of an SSD right now.
Posted by: Doc
Date: September 27, 2010 01:20PM
Jimmypoo
Would you consider removing the 120GB to 500GB HD that shipping with your Mac laptop with a smaller, 64GB Solid State Drive, just for the extra fly speed for typical tasks, and require yourself a small, pocket case to keep the old drive, to hold data for bigger projects?

One benefit to having the ExpressCard slot on my MBP is that I can opt to boot from an ExpressCard SSD and keep my enormous internal hard drive for data, apps, Time Machine and Boot Camp.

No need to carry any extra stuff. The SSD would stay parked in the slot all the time.

...and that's what I'd do if I ever thought I'd need the extra speed.
Date: September 27, 2010 01:33PM
How big do the ExpressCard SSDs get at this stage of microscopic drives?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 27, 2010 01:38PM
the Hybrid drives have gotten so-so reviews at best -- and cost 2X the same 500 gig 7200 RPM Seagate without the SSD part.

64 gig SSDs are tickling $100 and 128s are $200.

perhaps on black friday you might see a 128 gig SSD for $150?

Ive got 220 gigs on my main drive, I bet 150 gigs is iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie and 10+ gigs of iPhone apps.

So I could easily get by with a 128 gig SSD, even with all of my applications -- which includes the Adobe Creative Suite, Quark 8, MS Office and iWork

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 27, 2010 02:17PM
For about the same price as the 500GB hybrid, you can get a regular 1TB drive.

w/o TRIM support in OS X, SSDs are neat but still too pricey for most users.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 27, 2010 03:18PM
The compromise for me is a 120G Sand Force SSD.

I just want them to be about 20% cheaper before I buy. I could probably wait until they get cheaper still as I don't use my MB all that much since I got my iPad.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 27, 2010 04:02PM
Not yet... but a'fore too much longer, it'll be worth looking at.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Doc
Date: September 27, 2010 04:49PM
Jimmypoo
How big do the ExpressCard SSDs get at this stage of microscopic drives?

128GB drives are supposedly out there, but the biggest that you're likely to find at the moment are 64GB.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 27, 2010 05:56PM
jdc
the Hybrid drives have gotten so-so reviews at best -- and cost 2X the same 500 gig 7200 RPM Seagate without the SSD part.

Not what I found when I did my research before purchasing this Seagate hybrid drive. I'm pretty happy with its combination of speed and capacity. It's also very quiet.

Nothing like a pure SSD, but enough of a speed boost to warrant the extra price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020