advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4? Anyone actually Like AT&T?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 01, 2010 02:59PM
Stupid cell phone needs to be replaced ASAP and I'm still looking at Droid 2's, the Incredible and will check out the Droid R2-D2... However, a part of me really still wants a damn iPhone. Not sure why, but probably because I want an iPod Touch and figure an iPhone would be the best of both worlds. That being said, "if" I did move over to AT&T and grabbed a iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 4 would I be upset that I didn't spend the extra $$$$$?

Last but not least... If I moved from Sprint to AT&T would I be very disappointed with service? I'm located in Michigan?

Oh, and if I grabbed a pay as you go phone can I transfer my number and then transfer it to another provider later?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4? Anyone actually Like AT&T?
Posted by: dmann
Date: October 01, 2010 03:10PM
AT&T sucks rotten eggs. I've said it here before and I've been with them for a very, very, very long time. That said, I get much better reception in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio than I do at home in Illinois. I actually have to turn off 3G in order to make or receive calls at home.

I am using a 3G iPhone and have been told the 3GS is better. I'll probably upgrade at some time in the near future because my love for my iPhone outweighs my hatred for AT&T.
DM
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 01, 2010 03:15PM
I think it really depends upon where you live. nobody loves their carrier. in nyc, at&t is not particularly demonized.

Posted by: (vikm)
Date: October 01, 2010 03:25PM
I'm not particularly fond of AT&T but it's more for the fact that my wife has horrible reception where she works so anytime she calls me at lunch or at the end of the day, etc. there is a 50/50 chance the call is gonna drop. She's not using an iPhone. It's just horrible coverage there.

I have had great reception in general with my iPhone4. You really need to find out what the ATT coverage is like in your specific area. As mentioned, carriers can be great for some and really bad for others. Just depends on where you live.

As for the iP4 vs. 3GS, I'd suggest the iP4. I don't know anyone that has regretted getting the latest as long as they get reception. The camera (now with the HDR) has been really impressive on the iP4. I'm using it much more than I did on the 3G I had.

Good luck with your decision.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: October 01, 2010 03:36PM

I'm located in Michigan?

Um... yes?

I'm a quite happy AT&T user. Of course, I live in a metropolitan area that happens to have AT&T's HQ.
Posted by: kanesa
Date: October 01, 2010 03:39PM
I've been pretty happy with AT&T coverage. I rarely lose a call or have bad reception. It probably depends on your area. One of the few places I can't get reception in the city is at UW Hospital where I am a lot. But my work phone is US Cellular and it works fine at the hospital.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 01, 2010 03:42PM
Despite antenna-gate, I've gotten much better reception with iP4 than the 3Gs. Definitely fewer dropped calls. It's still worse than Verizon for voice calling.

You have to ask yourself - how important are reliable voice calls to you? Do you need to use it for business, or long conference calls? If not, then go with the iP4.

Surprisingly, the wife has the Incredible on Verizon and she curses it daily due to very poor proximity sensor & very poor battery life. It will regularly die by 7-8 pm while my iP4 will have 25% left at 11 pm (& that's with much heavier use of the iPhone!)
Posted by: dochocson
Date: October 01, 2010 03:47PM
Been with AT&T for years, no complaints.
Posted by: laarree
Date: October 01, 2010 04:00PM
As others opined, if you do decide to get an iPhone, get the 4, not the 3GS.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: illustratton
Date: October 01, 2010 04:08PM
I could NEVER understand the AT&T vs. Verison. I've had BOTH - I left Verison because of very poor customer service and went with AT&T. I do experience a dropped call problem occasionally (at one location outside of my wife's work) - but not a problem as a whole. My customer experience with Verison was SO bad that I'd do with out a cell phone rather than go back to them. Verison I had for 2 years - just the length of the contract, AT&T 6 years.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 01, 2010 04:11PM
dochocson

Close to 20 years for me.

Would never switch.

My wife and I both got iPhone 4s a few months back.

Awesome in every way, including making phone calls =)

Mine can go days on the battery with medium use.

Of course, we are in central CA, no hills to interfere with signals.

Camera is awesome, totally unretouched:

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: October 01, 2010 04:31PM
Recently moved to AT&T Family Plan from Sprint and got one 4 and two 3GS iPhones. AT&T service has been fine - miss Sprint's free anytime mobile to mobile (any carrier) but other than that I can't really complain. Yes, I've had some dropped calls. but no more than I had with Sprint.

The casual user is not going to notice much of a difference between the 4 and 3GS IMHO - but for $100 you do get quite a lot and a higher resale value should you want to sell at the end of your contract...

Compare the phones side by side at [www.apple.com]
Posted by: Trouble
Date: October 01, 2010 04:33PM
Much prefer AT&T over Verizon. Picked up a Microcell and I forward all of my phone numbers to my iPhone. My iPhone 4 is the only phone I ever use.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 01, 2010 04:34PM
dochocson

Same here.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 01, 2010 04:40PM
AT&T has been fine for me and the iPhone 4 gets me 2 bars in places I had none before with the original iPhone. Take from that what you will.

I just set up a Droid X for a user and it was a nice phone to use and the screen is nice as well. Just make sure you have pocket space for it. I slightly prefer the iP4's Retina screen to the larger Droid X one but it's a small pref.

I set up what I think was an HTC phone about a minth ago and the interface was horrible. Just stay away. Based on that I was afeared of the Driod X but it was quite pleasant.

Given an equal choice of all of them, I prefer the iP4 to the Droid X though I have far more experience with the iP4.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 01, 2010 04:56PM
Love my iPhone 4. My first iPhone and my first time with AT&T (well...I had a Cingular phone 7 or 8 years ago). The retina display is just fantastic; thought my old iPod touch looked great, but this makes it look pretty weak in comparison. No problems with calls in Chicago suburbs.

Unless you're in an area with poor voice coverage, you probably can't go wrong with either one. So many folks are tearing their hair out as if this is a life or death decision, but once you come home with one you'll probably just live with it and enjoy it.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 01, 2010 05:07PM
Oh, and if I grabbed a pay as you go phone can I transfer my number and then transfer it to another provider later?

Yes I've done that. You own the number.
Date: October 01, 2010 05:13PM
RgrF

Yes I've done that. You own the number.

Maybe I should just do that for a month until I decide where I want to do. Hmmmmmmm
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2010 05:57PM
All of the cell phone companies suck in some way. I've found little real difference between them. Coverage quality varies by location based on how good each vendor's network is in each area. In some areas Verizon is great and AT&T sucks, while in other areas the opposite is true. Either of those is more than likely going to be better than Sprint of T-Mobile. If AT&T has poor coverage in your area then you need to find that out before laying down the cash for a phone.

As for 3GS vs 4, the 4 is a no-brainer. It is vastly better than the 3GS in a lot of different ways and when you consider the resale value the cost difference is in reality approximately zero. Also, you need to consider that this is really a $2,000 purchase (initial cash outlay plus 2 year contract cost). The $100 difference between the 3GS and 4 is absurdly tiny when you consider the real cost of the phone so it makes no sense to get an obsolete device (3GS).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 01, 2010 06:01PM
I'm starting to "HATE" having a cell phone. Work might be getting me a phone. If I can get a smart phone I'd be more than willing to pay for the data plan. However, if they get me a phone I might have no choice but to move to verizon.

Which pay as you go company is most reliable?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 01, 2010 06:17PM
metroPCS is dependable but not available in all places. If you travel often to rural areas it wouldn't be a good choice.
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: October 01, 2010 06:47PM
I use my 3GS with T-mobile. I rarely have dropped calls and the customer service has always been excellent. I can't wait for the iPhone exclusivity contract to end with AT&T. As much as I love the iPhone, I don't want to leave T-Mobile just to have the latest and greatest. Although jdc's picture quality on his iPhone 4 is giving my pause.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 01, 2010 08:41PM
If the question is which iPhone get the 4 without reservation or regret. Love mine.

Reception in Atlanta area seems fine. I've been traveling all week and haven't had problems on such random places as Taylorville, Illinois, Holy Cross, IA, Iowa City, IA, Chicago, Plymouth/Canton, MI. Only place that didn't have 3G was Holy Cross.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 01, 2010 08:50PM
In Cincinnati, AT&T's phone coverage Is really good, except at work. It seems the building Blocks other carriers as well.

3G coverage in the area is excellent as well.

I simply love my iPhone 3GS. I use apps for everything.

Plus, with mobile me you can sync mail, safari, contacts, and the calendar.

Get the the ip4 though, the screen is great.

Bryan
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 01, 2010 09:10PM
I'd get the iPhone 4 for the camera alone.

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 01, 2010 09:15PM
I have many more photos like that. If you do some research you can read about how the iPhones 5MP camera sensor is something better than just a plain old 5MP sensor.

Wish the lens was a bit wider, but I willing to say that it takes better pictures than my older Canon SD630, which was a top pocket camera in its day.

Stability control would be nice as well.

heres a recent camera test vs Nokia N8 8MP: [www.engadget.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2010 09:48PM
Both carriers will have customers who praise them or curse them. As already stated, how is the SERVICE provided by each carrier where you be be primarily using the cellphone? In my area (Suffolk County, Long Island, NY), ATT & Verizon are very close. They both get poor marks up on the north shore (Miller Place, Rocky Point, Shoreham) because the locals fight installation of cell towers. I've actually had 911 calls picked up by Connecticut cell towers!

I use my iPhone (first the 3G; now the iPhone4) far more for data than for phonecalls. With ATT, you can simultaneously use data while making a phone call. I don't believe Verizon's system is capable of that.

I've been using a case since getting my iPhone4 but, had reception issues. People standing next to me with iPhones would get a signal with their iPhones but, I could not get a call out. I reported poor / no reception issues and overheating when using the TomTom App and, Apple replaced my iPhone4.

The iPhone4 seems easier on the battery than my 3G model was. The flash on the iPhone4 can be used as an LED flashlight via a Flashlight App. It works surprisingly well. The camera App's has had a software upgrade over the original version. The old system was a simple point & shoot. Now, to get good pictures, you need to "tap to focus".

I believe "number portability" is a Federal law. A carrier must allow you to keep you telephone number if you switch to a different carrier. I think your old carrier can charge a small fee. The new carrier may pay said fee; especially if you sing a long term contract.

We are now well over a decade of widespread cellphone use. I'm amazed just how bad call quality can be and, that so many people just accept it.
Posted by: Doc
Date: October 01, 2010 10:03PM
AT&T has a lot of spots with poor coverage around here. At rush hour along one particular stretch of highway it's not unusual to get nothing but "network busy" errors from a phone even when it shows 5 bars.

I see the masts sticking up all over the place and I can't even make a call when I've got unobstructed line of sight, so it appears to be a capacity issue rather than a connectivity issue.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 02, 2010 09:11AM
The only reason to go with 3GS is if you want to carry your iPhone naked without case.

Otherwise, the improved reception, battery life and cameras make the extra $100 money well spent.

Whether AT&T is right for you depends on your backyard. Do you know someone with an AT&T phone to compare signal stength?
I've found the company to have much better customer service than Sprint.
Date: October 02, 2010 12:57PM
Just curious if Anyone has a family plan with AT&T that can give me an idea of what I should expect to pay in fees? For example 1400 shared family minute plan with 200gb data and 200 text messages is $110/month... Wondering about fees.
Date: October 02, 2010 12:58PM
Also, will my wife be mad if I get myself a iPhone and not her? smiling smiley
Date: October 02, 2010 01:37PM
We have a family plan with four users. Fees/taxes are approximately 7% of the bill.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 02, 2010 01:38PM
spacescape
Also, will my wife be mad if I get myself a iPhone and not her? smiling smiley

There'll be no problem at all*.

*assuming you buy her a new Mercedes.

Date: October 02, 2010 01:45PM
Thought about getting her an iPhone 3GS (8GB) to replace her Nano seeing 200GB data plan would only be $15 / month.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: October 02, 2010 06:01PM
spacescape
Thought about getting her an iPhone 3GS (8GB) to replace her Nano seeing 200GB data plan would only be $15 / month.

Get the iPhone 4. Refurb 16GB is $150.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: October 02, 2010 10:26PM
8 gb no way never. Ditto what davester said.

With the $90 gsm plan you get a 5-number "a list" which makes it nearly unlimited
Date: October 03, 2010 08:44AM
Ok, this is what I'm thinking right now.

For me.
Apple iPhone 4 - 16 GB - $149 (I have a 60GB iPod so wondering if I should grab the 32GB but I'll decide)

For the Wife.
LG GU295 (or the Pantech Impact)

1400 Shared Rollover Minutes - $89
200 MB of Data $15 (Is this enough or is it best to start here and upgrade if need be?)
200 Text Messages - $5 (I don't have text now... Do I even need it on my iPhone?)

$109 / Month

The AT&T Rep on the phone told me to figure 10-15% more in fees... So about $120/month in taxes and fees.

Does that sound right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020