advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
new ipod touch. advice wtd
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: October 02, 2010 08:13PM
got a new 32gig touch. first touch screen for me.

are there any very helpful things to do (eg: on a macbook i'd say add flip4mac... etc)??

i got it at best buy (had gift cards to turn in)
do i have to do something to get 1yr applecare??

is buying more applecare worth it??
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: new ipod touch. advice wtd
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 02, 2010 09:02PM
I'd turn off Bluetooth if I wasn't using it. Saves a little battery life. I generally disable location crap as well.

I'm pretty sure your one year warranty kicks in immediately, whether you register it or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 09:03PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 02, 2010 09:13PM
Turn off "Push" too, it's eats battery power.

Grateful11
Posted by: Linda2
Date: October 02, 2010 09:32PM
Yes, your one year warranty is already in effect. However, I strongly recommend that you buy AppleCare. It extends the warranty to two years. I always buy AppleCare for my laptops and iPods since they get moved around a lot and are subject to more abuse. BTW, AppleCare has more than paid for itself several times.

I hope you enjoy your new iPod. I have a first generation 32 gig iPod Touch that still works flawlessly so four days ago, I bought a gorgeous iPad that I really like. If I'd only been able to have one, though, I would have gone with the iPod.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 02, 2010 09:46PM
Get thee to the app store - there are tons of great, free apps to load!
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 02, 2010 10:00PM
If it's not above 4.0.1, I'd jailbreak it!
Folders are a good thing, especially when you start loading it down with apps.

Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 02, 2010 10:20PM
Apple explicitly doesn't cover abuse in their warranties. I don't bother with AppleCare most of the time.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 02, 2010 10:20PM
what about SquareTrade vs. AppleCare?

---
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 02, 2010 11:24PM
Put your phone number in an "If found" text file. There are a lot of honest people in the world.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Linda2
Date: October 03, 2010 03:04AM
OK, I didn't mean ABUSE like that! I just mean that portable devices are more subject to problems than stationary ones.

Still, AppleCare is a good thing and it's only $59 for the iPod.

The App Store is so much fun. Just about the best free app right now is Pocket Frogs. It's a fascinating game and you can completely finish the game without buying any in-app purchases even though they do speed up the time you wait for the frogs to mature, etc. There are lots of other things, too, so have fun!
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: October 03, 2010 03:20AM
when i bought applecare yrs ago for my powermac G5 someone helped me get applecare cheaper than in the apple store, but i forgot how we did it..

is this still possible for the touch now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 03:20AM by MacDoxy.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 03, 2010 05:24AM
Get your AppleCare through eBay or LA Computers.

[www.lacomputercompany.com]

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: JEBB
Date: October 03, 2010 09:37AM
I've not bought the Applecare extended warranty for desktops because I don't move them around nor for my iPod Touch which is all solid state. When I buy my next Apple laptop it will probably have a solid state hard drive as well. I think it is only the mechanical devices like hard drives that have a sufficient likelihood of failure to make the investment in a warranty worthwhile. I never bought an extended warranty for my DM9 because the warranty price was overpriced relative to the cost of a replacement.
Posted by: what4
Date: October 03, 2010 05:13PM
I kept my Touch in my pocket for several months without a scratch by avoiding keys and coins. Then -- I don't know how -- on one trip the screen received several nasty gashes. Ugh. Now I'll have to peel the thing apart and install the replacement screen/digitizer.

So protect the screen! Use a cover-case or put a see-through sheet over it.

Try lots of apps. You'll probably wind up using only a few.

Get the Google app for sure. Once you set up Google Reader, it organizes your daily reading.

I like Docs2Go for importing and working with Word and Excel files.

"Files" or one of its competitors provides a different way of getting text files, music, and pictures into the Touch -- by drag and drop across a wireless connection.

Several apps let you keep a folder of password protected items. "Private Pics" does this for picture files.

DropBox is widely recommended for moving a few key documents between the Touch and desktop.

Wattpad is an excellent reader, with lots of free stuff, including Bill Bryson's delightful Brief History of Nearly Everything.

1Password has many admirers, and it somehow syncs with the desktop, perhaps through Dropbox.

Enjoy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020