Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: October 06, 2010 05:28PM
[online.wsj.com]

Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm Inc. is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End
Posted by: Doc
Date: October 06, 2010 05:31PM
I believe this only because I just bought an iPhone and am stuck with AT&T for 2 more years.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 06, 2010 05:37PM
That will make Mom happy, for her it's Verizon or it's nothing. She's even using my old original iPhone with WiFi-only at home as she loves the interface but doesn't want AT&T.

Once she learns that she can also hook it up to the TV and stream Netflix thru it, she may pony up for the 4G model.
Posted by: Black
Date: October 06, 2010 05:39PM
Plumbking
[online.wsj.com]

Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm Inc. is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

So is this the "official" announcement everyone's been waiting for?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: john dough
Date: October 06, 2010 05:43PM
I am sooooooooooooooo ready! My neighbor has Verizon and her phone gets reception in our neighborhood where my iPhone does not. Tired of dropped calls and tired of calls going straight to voicemail without my phone ringing (even though I have 4 or 5 bars). For me and where I go, Verizon coverage is far, far better.

I would pull the trigger tonight if I could.
Date: October 06, 2010 05:45PM
Black

John Gruber's indicating that the new phone won't be for the U.S. markets.

Until Gruber or Mossberg go along with it, don't get your hopes up.

[daringfireball.net]
Posted by: davester
Date: October 06, 2010 06:02PM
Black

From the article...

Spokeswomen for Apple and Qualcomm declined to comment; a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, declined to comment.

I think not! Other than this being an unsubstantiated rumor sourced from people whose names were not revealed, everything appears to be perfectly legitimate. :fawkdance:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 06:04PM by davester.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 06, 2010 06:07PM
My brother just bought a 'Droid because he despises AT&T so much. Couldn't get him to use an iPhone on that network even if it was given to him for free. If Verizon does get the iPhone in the near future, he won't be happy.

Would the Verizon iPhone work the same as an AT&T version? I seem to remember reading something about how some of the iPhones features wouldn't work on Verizon's network.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 06, 2010 07:00PM
So what happens as Verizon rolls out the 4G network? It's supposed to be in some markets by the end of the year.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 06, 2010 07:32PM
Just another stoopid rumor.

Wake me when it really happens, if Im not already dead.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: October 06, 2010 08:00PM
Doesn't anyone like Sprint? I've had NO issues with them or their service for the past 3 years. And it's $69.99 for unlimited data, text, web, calls, everything!

Posted by: 3d
Date: October 06, 2010 08:02PM
Pam
So what happens as Verizon rolls out the 4G network? It's supposed to be in some markets by the end of the year.

Shrug. When 4G rolls out Apple will upgrade the iPhone to 4G. And consumers will happily sell their now "old" CDMA phone on eBay and upgrade. Double, Triple, Quadruple dip. Cha-Ching. Time and time again... the rule is always true, DO NOT BUY first gen Apple products. In 6 months after launch the CDMA iPhone will be 25% cheaper and 25% better. (Or 4G).

But, as always, i'll believe it when i see it. wink smiley
Date: October 06, 2010 08:05PM
3d
Pam

Shrug. When 4G rolls out Apple will upgrade the iPhone to 4G. And consumers will happily sell their now "old" CDMA phone on eBay and upgrade. Double, Triple, Quadruple dip. Cha-Ching. Time and time again... the rule is always true, DO NOT BUY first gen Apple products. In 6 months after launch the CDMA iPhone will be 25% cheaper and 25% better. (Or 4G).

But, as always, i'll believe it when i see it. wink smiley

I just bought an Incredible. I would not buy a CDMA iPhone for Verizon knowing upgrades to their network are coming in short order.

I'm also in the camp who believes the CDMA iPhone is for a Europe market.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 06, 2010 08:17PM
Jerry®
Doesn't anyone like Sprint? I've had NO issues with them or their service for the past 3 years. And it's $69.99 for unlimited data, text, web, calls, everything!

In addition, they don't cripple their phones.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 06, 2010 09:12PM
"John Gruber's indicating that the new phone won't be for the U.S. markets."

I thought the rest of the world used GSM technology and, only North America used CDMA? dunno smiley
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 06, 2010 09:23PM
China, India, Japan & Korea for starters have CDMA networks. Easily another 200 million potential customers.
Date: October 06, 2010 09:47PM
vision63
Jerry®

Can you elaborate?

Sprint got a bad rap for horrific customer service and billing snafus a while back, and I think they may never overcome it no matter how good they get. Coverage ought to be the same as Verizon . . .

Date: October 06, 2010 10:29PM
Black
vision63
Jerry®

Can you elaborate?

Sprint got a bad rap for horrific customer service and billing snafus a while back, and I think they may never overcome it no matter how good they get. Coverage ought to be the same as Verizon . . .

They're actually doing better these days. Now as far as customer service is concerned, they will literally "kill" you with kindness for the last 3 or 4 years. Before, they were absolutely bad and eventually dreadful. If you had a complicated problem, the rep would quite often just hang up on you. Now they're a dream

Verizon and AT&T will lock certain phone features and try to control the user experience. For example, with the Droid X and the other Android products, they're insisting that Bing be the search default. They try to cripple the Google Maps function. This is why Google stop allowing their apps to be carrier controlled. You have to download the Maps app from the Android Market.

With Sprint, they don't care if you sideload apps, they don't force you to use only the marketplace. They also allow you to tether any way you like. A simple app (one on the phone and one on your Mac) and you're tethered. They also don't care if you root your equipment. If you're near 4G land, you have totally unlimited capacity.

Oh, also you can't beat any-mobile-any-time for no extra charge. The only bummer is that they charge an extra $10 a month when you buy a 4G capable phone, which they really can't explain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 10:32PM by vision63.
Date: October 06, 2010 10:45PM
vision63
With Sprint, they don't care if you sideload apps, they don't force you to use only the marketplace.

I loathe Sprint. I am so very glad that I ditched them over a decade ago.

Sprint has a weird thing against MMS messages. (Note: That's MMS, not text.)

Not only do they remove MMS capabilities from many of their smartphones, but they also discriminate against messages going to and from folks on other networks.

From AT&T I can't simply MMS back and forth with my friends on Sprint.

When they try to send me a message I receive a web-link which shows just a tiny thumbnail of what they tried to send and the web page is filled with Sprint ads from top to bottom. When I send a MMS to a Sprint customer they do not receive it at all.

Verizon may cripple their smartphones (and they do), but at least my messages to Verizon customers get through intact.

Plus, I spent over 22 hours on the phone, mostly on hold while trying to get a minor billing issue resolved for my parents who use Sprint. Their customer service messed it up 4 times.

Sprint seems to be aiming for this millennium's "worst customer service in the universe" award.
Date: October 06, 2010 11:15PM
Doc
vision63
With Sprint, they don't care if you sideload apps, they don't force you to use only the marketplace.

Not only do they remove MMS capabilities from many of their smartphones, but they also discriminate against messages going to and from folks on other networks.

When they try to send me a message I receive a web-link which shows just a tiny thumbnail of what they tried to send and the web page is filled with Sprint ads from top to bottom. When I send a MMS to a Sprint customer they do not receive it at all.

Verizon may cripple their smartphones (and they do), but at least my messages to Verizon customers get through intact.

Plus, I spent over 22 hours on the phone, mostly on hold while trying to get a minor billing issue resolved for my parents who use Sprint. Their customer service messed it up 4 times.

Sprint seems to be aiming for this millennium's "worst customer service in the universe" award.

It's not like that anymore Doc. Time has marched on. Hasn't been for a while now. They would actually qualify for best customer service in the universe awards now. They're actually the best of the major services due to the unlimited nature of their networks and phones. And customer service.
Date: October 06, 2010 11:26PM
Doc
vision63

Weird-- it seems like you didn't read vision's post, but you're quoting a piece of it.

Date: October 07, 2010 12:48AM
Pam

Huh? Europe has GSM, not CDMA.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 07, 2010 01:26AM
Yeah, most of the world is GSM. There are other markets that use CDMA currently, but let's be honest, there isn't the same clamor for a CDMA iPhone in other countries? There is nothing in the post from John Gruber that makes me believe a CDMA iPhone is being designed solely for a non USA country. I think that was a misquote.

Nathan
Date: October 07, 2010 06:22AM
davester
Pam

Huh? Europe has GSM, not CDMA.

Asia then. I don't keep up with who has what.
Date: October 07, 2010 08:02AM
vision63
It's not like that anymore Doc. Time has marched on. Hasn't been for a while now. They would actually qualify for best customer service in the universe awards now. They're actually the best of the major services due to the unlimited nature of their networks and phones. And customer service.

It's TOTALLY like that now.

I can't exchange MMS messages with my friends today.

I blew over 22 hours on the phone trying to resolve a minor billing issue with them just a few months ago.

Sprint sucks.
Date: October 07, 2010 08:04AM
Black
Weird-- it seems like you didn't read vision's post, but you're quoting a piece of it.

No. My response was addressed to his whole fantasy.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 07, 2010 08:38AM
Apple won't be making an early confirmation of any Verizon deal because AAPL would take a dive as (AT&T) iPhone sales collapse. Although that may mean a good buying opportunity.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 07, 2010 08:49AM
Apple's exclusive deal with AT&T is supposed to be good until 2013.

A CDMA phone is marketable in China, India and Japan. There's plenty of reason to make one without bringing Verizon into it.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 07, 2010 09:10AM
Black
Coverage ought to be the same as Verizon . . .

I wish, but unfortunately that isn't the case, unless you are just talking about the 4G coverage. The 4G coverage just isn't wide enough to let me switch to Sprint. I have to be with Verizon if I want good coverage in my area, but I use Verizon through Page Plus prepaid, where I can get 1200 anytime minutes and 1200 texts for $29.99 a month. I can use most Verizon phones, and am not tied to a contract.

There was an article in the paper this morning that said Verizon will have 4G in the Atlanta area bynthe end of the year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 09:18AM by rgG.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: October 07, 2010 09:46AM
Jerry®

Wow, that's a great price. I pay over $100/month for two Verizon non-smartphones (family plan) and it only gives Ms. Poochie and me 700 minutes and 500 text messages with no data.

But VZW's coverage here in the Northeast is pretty darn reliable, even inside buildings or in the boonies.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 07, 2010 10:30AM
testcase
"John Gruber's indicating that the new phone won't be for the U.S. markets."

I thought the rest of the world used GSM technology and, only North America used CDMA? dunno smiley

"Europe" is predominately GSM.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 07, 2010 10:35AM
the_poochies
Jerry®

Wow, that's a great price. I pay over $100/month for two Verizon non-smartphones (family plan) and it only gives Ms. Poochie and me 700 minutes and 500 text messages with no data.

But VZW's coverage here in the Northeast is pretty darn reliable, even inside buildings or in the boonies.

I agree that VZW is very reliable in the NE and NYC -mero area. I was just ready to give in and march off to a VZW store to pickup some flavor of Droid (probably and X or Incredible) even thou I'd prefer an iPhone 4.

Now I'm thinking of waiting a couple of weeks to see if any more clarification or rumors get posted. God, the" iPhone MIGHT be coming to VZW" is the biggest tech tease in history.

JoeM
Date: October 07, 2010 11:14AM
Sprint roams on Verizon for free (I believe the only limit is that roaming not be over 50% of your total phone usage). I've noticed that on newer Sprint phones that I've owned, you can't force your phone to roam. You can either do Sprint-Only or Auto-Roam. Plus Sprint has Any-Mobile-Any-Time, unlimited as well.

I've had my Sprint nightmares years back (one time they charged me $950 and wouldn't back off until I worked my way all the way to the CEO's office). But those days have been over for me and other folks I know. I would estimate that Sprint's network is second to Verizon's and far superior to AT&T's nationwide.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 07, 2010 12:14PM
Gruber has it right.

Why bother with CDMA in the U.S. when LTE is just around the corner?

I can easily see a LTE iPhone for the U.S., but in 2012.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 07, 2010 01:04PM
billb,

I don't think that map is up to date. One example, I'm pretty sure Brazil has GSM carriers. In fact, Brazil is predominantly GSM. Another example, Mexico is not CDMA only. Most, if not all of the Central and South America listed are not CDMA only.
Date: October 07, 2010 01:25PM
What silvarios said. I also think that much of the map labelled as CDMA plus GSM has CDMA as only a very minor player with little coverage.

Posted by: billb
Date: October 07, 2010 01:28PM
no, it's not
newer maps are problematic in that the overlapping 2g, 3g, 4g and trunking technologies make claims to services difficult.

-and then there are unfinished network roll-outs and plans and plans put on hold and abandoned plans.

Everyone has their maps.

Which is in part why I bolded predominately - even that is changing/evolving.

( I think Portugal has some CDMA network now, too, )
Posted by: neophyte
Date: October 07, 2010 03:36PM
The only VZW droid phone with Bing is the Samsung Fascinate. All the others use Google Search.
Afaik, the only country in Europe with a CDMA network is Ukraine. All others use GSM.
VZW's LTE network will use some sort of GSM technology, probably built-in, for data only.
Voice will still be carried by CDMA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020