advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac local host name change?
Posted by: h linamen
Date: October 22, 2010 09:15AM
Why am I getting these error messages on my late model iMac and the hostname keeps changing?

" This computer's local hostname 'Macintosh-7.local' is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to 'Macintosh-8.local'. To change the local hostname, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then click "Edit" and type the name in the local Hostname field"

I do nothing and intermittently it jumps to another of these messages, upping the name another decimal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac local host name change?
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 22, 2010 09:29AM
You're going to need to tell us a little more about your network for anyone to be able to help you.

Normally you'd get this message when you bring a new Mac named "Macintosh" online - Bonjour will broadcast its name and if it sees another computer with the same name, it'll automatically increment your computer's name to avoid a conflict.

If you don't have anything else on your network with the name Macintosh then perhaps your network is somehow retaining the name between reboots and causing the conflict?
g=
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: October 22, 2010 11:54AM
I've had this problem on occasion with my Macbook Pro- but it is not named "Macintosh." It has a unique name. I never have found the problem, though I'm guessing it might have something to do with connecting to the network via both ethernet and Airport at the same time.
Posted by: Buck
Date: October 22, 2010 02:12PM
Same here. I had the same ethernet/airport thought.
Joey Cupcakes
I've had this problem on occasion with my Macbook Pro- but it is not named "Macintosh." It has a unique name. I never have found the problem, though I'm guessing it might have something to do with connecting to the network via both ethernet and Airport at the same time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020