advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Saturday Night Network Blues...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 31, 2010 02:59AM
For some unknown reason, my AirPort network has decided to stop working. It was working when I was surfing off the 'Pad. Went to lunch, came back, not working.

I've bypassed the AEBS and run directly of the DSL modem, but am limited to just one Mac and no WiFi for the 'Phone and 'Pad.

The whole shut everything down-restart one at a time drill didn't help. Replaced the new 2-channel simul AEBS with the older 1-channel AEBS, same thing-- "Could not find PPPoE server".

Tried looking at the network prefs and router configuration, no joy. Called at&t and got the girl with an accent reading a script. No joy.

The Alcatel Speed Touch modem apparently finds a PPPoE server, and the username and password are in the router. So I'm wondering if the modem has stopped passing info to the router, but works fine with its mothership.

The AEBS is covered by AppleCare on my iMac, so I'll be making an appointment with Apple Tech Support, eventually.

Does anybody have an recommendations on a new modem, should it come to that?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Saturday Night Network Blues...
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 31, 2010 05:16PM
Sounds like since you tried it with two different routers that the problem lies before the router, either with the modem or some weird problem with the DSL itself. The only other thing I can think to try, and I doubt it will have any effect, is to log out of your DSL account and then back in, just in case it is some sort of problem from the DSL side that might be fixed with a reboot of sorts.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Hm.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 31, 2010 05:31PM
I don't know how to log out of the att account, rg.

I'd give that a try.

Yes, I'm thinking my modem doesn't want to talk to a router.

The modem's Tx and Rx activity lights as expected when connected directly to a Mac, but go dark when connected to a router.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Hm.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 31, 2010 05:38PM
RAMd®d
I don't know how to log out of the att account, rg.

I'd give that a try.

Yes, I'm thinking my modem doesn't want to talk to a router.

The modem's Tx and Rx activity lights as expected when connected directly to a Mac, but go dark when connected to a router.

My DSL modem has a master reset button, I think you push it with a paperclip like the old iMac's restart button. I suspect that if you can do a hard reset on the modem that it might come back up to a log in page to your account, since, in theory it should have wiped out your account name and PW with the reset. The only time I get the log in page is when my DSL goes down for a while and sometimes requires me to log back in, so I don't remember how to get to the login/logout page when things are working.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020