advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm roadtesting a Kensington "SlimType" Keyboard for Mac
Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 19, 2006 10:32PM
I've been very unhappy with the standard Apple keyboard that came with my G5, so I went looking for the ICE? keyboard. I think that's what it's called.

I had read some favorable remarks about it in another thread about keyboards and it sounded interesting to me.

Anyway, the Apple rep at my local CompUSA said that the Kensington was a much better keyboard and less money, so I bought one to try out.

First thing that put me off about it was that there aren't any USB ports anywhere on the freakin' keyboard. I couldn't believe this at first and turned it every which way looking for the "hidden" USB ports. Nope, there aren't any.

Once I had installed the drivers, I started using it and I do like it better than the Apple keyboard.

Some interesting features: It does have eight chrome buttons at the top of the keyboard which control the sound volume and the eject function and I was surprised to find that the power key brings up a window with the Sleep, Restart, Shutdown (highlighted) and Cancel options. Pretty neat!

There are three other buttons, one with play/pause icons and the other two with fast fwd and rew icons. I haven't figured out what they are for???

I do like the feeling of the keys, so far, because it takes a very light touch to type and it is very quiet.

Have you used the ICE keyboard or this keyboard? I'd appreciate your impression, positive or negative?

I'm not sure if this is the keyboard for me, but I have 21 days to find out moody smiley

Thanks for your thoughts!

GeneL
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm roadtesting a Kensington "SlimType" Keyboard for Mac
Posted by: TL
Date: May 19, 2006 10:46PM
I have the SlimType, and love it. It makes it so much easier to go switch from my desktop to my Pismo and back. Yeah, the lack of USB was annoying but it's a minor enough annoyance compared to the excellent feel of the keyboard.
Date: May 19, 2006 10:58PM
TL, do you have two control keys to the left of the Opt-Cmd-space bar?

Also, what are the Home, Insert/Help, fwd, rew and play/pause buttons for?

The Gene wants to know!

TIA!

GeneL
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2006 11:00PM
i switched to MS keyboards -- i know, dreaded MS -- but their boards are quiet and they have good key feel -- better than logitechs for me

im using a MS pro elite (have for years) at my studio -- and most of the extra top keys worked right out of the box. sure is great having skip song and pause for itunes and set of "favorites" that open my most used apps
Date: May 19, 2006 11:40PM
Yes, my SlimType does have 2 CTRL keys to the left of the alt/option and space bar keys. Both work as any control key would. No idea why there are 2, I'm guessing they can be programmed for some additional functionality.

The play/pause, fwd, and rewind keys can control iTunes play. The box says 3.0 or higher is needed for that functionality. I suppose it could control Quicktime or other video players as well, but I've never tried.

By insert, are you talking about the insert/help key next to the left-arrow key? I have no idea what that does, sorry. I did just figure out that pressing it irritates my mouse, though. smiling smiley

Gene, do you have the Mac or PC version of the SlimType?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2006 11:52PM by TL.
Date: May 20, 2006 12:06AM
I have the Mac version, TL.

I like the action of the keys, so far, but the size, placement of some of the keys and other idiosyncrasies of this keyboard may be a problem for me.

I really dislike the small Cmd keys and I wish that they had put the Insert/Help key (which is totally unimportant to me) somewhere else so that the Cmd key or the space bar could be wider. I also dislike where they put the forward delete key.

I guess I'll keep it for a while to see if I can get used to it. At least if I get a MacBook, I'll be more acclimated to a notebook keyboard smiling smiley
Date: May 20, 2006 12:16AM
Yeah, some of the keys are placed in odd positions, but overall I'm fine with it. I'm so used to my small Pismo keyboard that the more expansive size of the SlimType feels more like a fullsize, so the weird placement of a few keys doesn't bother me at all.

I asked if you had the Mac or PC version because apparently the PC version has a quick-key to the calculator. Just wondered how that works with a Mac, if it does at all.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2006 12:29AM
FWIW, my other MS board isnt made anymore "wireless internet" is the name

its got calculator, log off, sleep above the keypad, they work fine..

this is the elite, but the BTooth model

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2006 04:03AM by jdc.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 20, 2006 03:57AM
I have the icekey keyboard and it's pretty good. It's a bit "mushy" for my tastes which is why I'm sticking with my TactilePro but I think that the icekey has much more value to it. If you're on a budget, it's hard to justify the TactilePro.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 20, 2006 06:04AM
I love my tactile pro keyboard but I would never pay $99 for it. I got mine fro $50 at MicroCenter as an open-box. I wouldn't pay more than that for it.
I've used the Kensington "slim type" and it is pretty good for the price. Kensington has a great guarantee. I had a stuck key and they shipped me out a replacement and told me to toss the old one.
Posted by: grad
Date: May 20, 2006 06:14AM
Ive got an IBM "slim" Keyboard, which is the equivalent of an IBM laptops keyboard.

The keys feel awesome. And all the keys work properly, except for the Alt key which was mapped to Open-Apple.

As a bonus, it has volume buttons, the Red Nub mouse in the middle of the keyboard, as well as their two-button trackpad (whatever your choice is). This makes it a great "travel" keyboard as well.

It kicks ass.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 20, 2006 07:51AM
gee, I thought it was me only that felt the G5 kb was a bit annoying. I seem to have some double hit issues with it as well as the occasional missed hit. Seems if it was a "get use to " thing, by now I'd be, but I ain't. Feels OK to me after my original G3 ext kb II.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Date: May 20, 2006 10:03AM
I bought a Tactile Pro Keyboard a while ago, but I returned it.

My computer is right next to my bird's cage and the Tactile Pro was too noisy after I put her to sleep at night. It kept her awake sad smiley

Nice keyboard, otherwise.

As I anticipated, I do like the flat laptop style of the SlimType. Is there another keyboard with this flat style with more normal size keys?
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 20, 2006 12:09PM
Virtual Keyboard? Linked

Carm
Date: May 20, 2006 12:18PM
That's pretty interesting, Carm.

Too bad it's not ready for the Mac.

Also, a bit pricey sad smiley

I'd love to try one just because I love gadgets.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 20, 2006 12:27PM
shades of CSI: Miami there Carm... wonder if it will be bundled w/ Apple's new podphone...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 20, 2006 11:58PM
I have both the Kensington and the iceKey. However, I spilled something on the iceKey, so I'm now using the Kensington. I like the springy key action of both keyboards; it's very helpful if you have hand or arm RSIs.

I don't mind the lack of USB ports on the Slim keyboard. The USB ports on any USB keyboard I've used have been pretty feeble.
Date: May 21, 2006 12:16AM
ka jowct, my problem is that even with a Belkin seven port USB 2.0 hub I'm still short of USB ports.

Logitech MX1000 wireless mouse
Logitech Harmony Remote
Canon printer
HP scanner
Sony Clie┬┤
Keyspan remote
Card Reader
Belkin UPS

Normally, I had the mouse plugged into the keyboard which worked just fine. Now it's temporarily plugged into the USB port on the front of my G5, which is not "a good thing."

Does the IceKey have the USB ports and do you think it's as good or better than the Kensington SlimType?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 01:01PM by GeneL.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 21, 2006 12:44PM
It does have USB ports, but I don't know if I ever used them.

I don't trust unpowered USB hubs, which is what you get using a keyboard's ports. I've got a USB 2 card installed, as well as a FW/USB card that gives me three additional USB ports, so I have ports to spare for card reader, printer, sometimes a scanner, my wonderful mouse, and occasionally a Sandisk Cruzer. I do have a powered USB-1 hub hooked up, but I seldom use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020