advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
USPS Media Mail: Anyone mind explaining the process?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: May 21, 2006 03:29PM
I have a small stack of DVDs and such which I'd like to ebay. I normally ship via the USPS flat rate envelopes. I know that Media Mail exists, but I have no idea how the stuff works.

As many of you may know, the USPS isn't very open to teaching how to use their services, and many of the employees know less about the processes than I do, so I don't really feel like asking there.

I like to do the click-n-ship thing, print postage online, slap it on the appropriate package, and leave it in the mailbox.

What is the process like for media mail? Does it have to be done through ebay? Anyone mind giving a somewhat detailed walkthrough of the process and the packaging required? It'll be appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: USPS Media Mail: Anyone mind explaining the process?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 21, 2006 03:34PM
media mail works like anything else, only you're claiming that you're sending media.

i don't think it makes sense unless you're shipping a heavy book. for smaller items, the discount just isn't worth it.

Posted by: John B.
Date: May 21, 2006 03:35PM
I occasionally ship DVDs to my sister cross-country, and my experience has been that a DVD in a CD mailer envelope is cheaper to send "First Class" than "Media Mail". I would guess that maybe Media Mail wins if you're shipping something with some weight to it, like a couple hardcover books.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 21, 2006 03:36PM
you cannot do click-n-ship for media mail; only express and priority mail works for that.

box up the cds.

take the box to the post office.

tell them you want to send it media mail.

you can use the lite version of Swordfish to print out media mail labels however, it does not have the capability to pay for/print postage. you'd have to upgrade to their full service monthly fee version. however, if you do use Swordfish to make a label, delivery confirmation cost .13 instead of .55.

the only service that allow you to print/pay for first class and media mail are the monthly fee ones.

like it or not, you have to go to the post office for occasional use of media mail.

btw, unless you're shipping more than 3 cds, first class makes more sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 03:37PM by graylocks.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: May 21, 2006 03:47PM
Do CD specific mailing boxes/packages exist? I've never seen them at the local post office, but they may not be in the shipment location. (It's a bit building, but I've only gone through that area).

Or is it better to just package up myself and do the first class mailing?

(Thanks for the advice so far)
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 21, 2006 03:57PM
You can do Media Rate with eBay/Paypal shipping. Delivery Confirmation is 14¢ You can
send Video Game and Computer Disks but not Video Game cartridges. Media Mail cannot
contain advertisements, see exceptions below. They posted a note at our PO about 2
years ago about sending electronic devices via Media Mail such as Video Games.

Quote from USPS:

"Media Mail:
Small and large packages and thick envelopes can be sent using Media Mail. Contents
are limited to books, manuscripts, sound recordings, recorded videotapes, and
computer-readable media(not blank). Informally called “Book Rate,” Media Mail cannot
contain advertising, except eligible books may contain incidental announcements of
books. Media Mail is usually less expensive than Parcel Post."

There's also Bound Printed Matter Rate:

Bound Printed Matter Small and large packages and thick envelopes can be sent using
this service. Contents are limited to permanently bound sheets of directory,
advertising, or editorial matter, such as catalogs or phone books. Bound Printed Matter
is less expensive than Parcel Post.

Grateful11
Date: May 21, 2006 04:02PM
The Grim Ninja
Do CD specific mailing boxes/packages exist? I've never seen them at the local post office, but they may not be in the shipment location. (It's a bit building, but I've only gone through that area).

Or is it better to just package up myself and do the first class mailing?

(Thanks for the advice so far)

My wife sends CDs in Jewel Cases all over the world in small Bubble-lined Envelopes and
have never had a problem. CDs via First-Class can be sent just about anywhere in the lower 48 for
less than $1.60 plus cost of envelope. They're going to weigh between 4 and 5oz. for a
single CD with the envelope.

Grateful11
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 21, 2006 04:31PM
The only free' boxes and/or envelopes you'll find at the post office are for Priority Mail and Express Mail. If you want to send first class, media mail or parcel post, you'll need to provide your own box or envelope. But you can get CD shipping boxes or Jiffylite padded envelopes at Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Walmart, Target, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 04:33PM by wurm.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: May 21, 2006 06:29PM
Netflix gets by sending DVDs in envelopes with no stiffening so I do the same. One CD or DVD in an envelope weighs just under an ounce so costs 39 cents to mail. Each Christmas I send out 100 plus nice printed CDs of music from Amazon.com's free legal download section. Maybe 3 out of a hundred will be broken so I just remail those. Saves a bundle of cash.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 21, 2006 06:30PM
Media Mail is $1.42 for the first pound (or part thereof). So if you want to send something first class, but could go media mail, the first class postage would have to be more than $1.42 (and weigh less than a pound) before you would want to consider media mail.

Media mail really saves bucks when you mail heavier items. Ten pounds by media mail is only $4.84.

LyleH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 06:31PM by LyleH.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 21, 2006 06:40PM
. . .used to be $1.42. . .after they raised the rates. . .now $1.59. . .I use media mail often. . .

I use previously used small boxes. . .but you can use any plain wrapping/boxes and just wrie "media mail" on it. . .

You can also use those automatic post office machines that are popping up in most post offices now. . .they print whatever postage you need, just enter the amount and print as many as you need using a creidt/debit card.

But they are dated the day that you print it. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: May 21, 2006 07:01PM
USPS website has everything you could want.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: May 21, 2006 09:04PM
13oz. is the max for First-Class.

Grateful11
Posted by: h'
Date: May 22, 2006 12:35AM
I have had very very bad luck receiving items per media mail (or not receiving them, better said). I wonder if they are ore attractive to corrupt postal workers because they're assumed to be "media"?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 22, 2006 03:16AM
media mail also ships on a "Space Available" basis.

If the plane is full with Overnight, Priority and First Class stuff for example, media mail (4th Class) waits until there is room. That is why it can take 2-3 times as long as 1st Class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2006 03:16AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 22, 2006 04:50PM
I've had slower delivery of media mail once or twice. Sometimes, the PO clerk will tell you they have the right to inspect the packages any time to verify the product is actually media. I use it for tapes, CDs, magazines and books when it is substantially less than First Class.
Date: May 22, 2006 10:57PM
I've used it a lot for magazines. I don't see why it would matter in my case as they're usually
10-30 years old and the ads don't mean anything anymore.

Grateful11
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 22, 2006 10:57PM
Magazines are not eligible for Media Mail. If found, the the parcel/package would go at a Parcel Post rate. If First Class mail were enclosed, then the package would go as First Class or Priority Mail.

I wonder if they are ore attractive to corrupt postal workers because they're assumed to be "media"?

LOL, I imagine that there are tons of postal workers who can wait to risk jobs so they can rifle Media Mail for the unknown treasures.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020