advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Take the GRE recently? Online courses or books?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 21, 2006 08:45PM
Were the analytical and quantitative sections more difficult or less so than you anticipated?

I have yet to sign up for any prep course nor have I bought any books; I'm merely exploring the option of returning to school. Not every institution I have looked into requires this test, so it's not a given that I will sit for it, but I am interested in the opinions of recent testers, so I thought I would begin by asking here....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Take the GRE recently? Online courses or books?
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: May 21, 2006 09:38PM
I took the GRE in the fall of 2003 and, 11 years after my undergraduate graduation, I was amazed on how much I actually retained. I spent a few hours reviewing the practice tests on a CD-ROM the GRE folks sent me for free when I signed up, but that was about it.
Posted by: kap
Date: May 21, 2006 09:50PM
Will see how much my brain can recall after earning my B.A. 14 years ago. Ugh!

Kap

====

the_poochies
I took the GRE in the fall of 2003 and, 11 years after my undergraduate graduation, I was amazed on how much I actually retained. I spent a few hours reviewing the practice tests on a CD-ROM the GRE folks sent me for free when I signed up, but that was about it.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: ATT
Date: May 21, 2006 10:23PM
Before spending tons of money on a course, go to a book store, and flip through some of the test prep books, and see if you can do the questions. You may also be able to check these books out at the local library.

Definitely also work the actual practice questions.
Posted by: TL
Date: May 21, 2006 11:21PM
I took the GRE, oh, 5 years ago. It has changed since then, but study tactics shouldn't change wildly. I check out a few books from the library mostly for a refresher on math for the analytical section. What worked best for me was the "GRE For Dummies" title. If you go the book route, definitely check your local library. Used bookstores may work as well.
Posted by: grad
Date: May 22, 2006 08:38AM
Book
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: May 22, 2006 09:55AM
The GRE has mostly high-school-level stuff.

I took it about a year ago. The questions aren't that tough, it's just tough to finish them all in the time you're given. So just do a little practice to refresh your memory and you should be fine.

I got the Kaplan book and it seemed good, although I probably only did about four hours of preparation.
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: May 22, 2006 10:08AM
Took it a few years ago. I found it to be very similar to the SAT with the exception that there was a logic section added on.

The grad school I applied to didn't use it as a entrance consideration BUT wanted a minimum score of 1000 combined math and verbal.This might just be for film grad programs, but all the schools I looked at were the same. Only for non U.S. applicants were GRE scores looked at for admission. All of the the progams I looked at went so far as to say they'd admit you and THEN you could take the GRE to get the minimum score.

If this is still the case, do not worry. The general consensus between my frineds and I was that it was not too difficult and study was not needed to get the minimum scores asked for.

-Shawn
Posted by: TL
Date: May 22, 2006 10:34AM
Be sure you understand the scoring system, it's an odd one. The first few questions in each section determine the later questions you get, and also determine the maximum score you can earn. if you blow the first few questions you will get easier ones later, but you also will not score as high as if you had aced the first few and missed an equal number of questions later. It is absolutely critical you pay close attention to the first questions.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: May 22, 2006 04:10PM
I took it a year ago. The anylitical section is gone. Verbal, math and writing. I used the practice CD that ETS sends out included with registration and found it adequate. Its only for windows so it turned into my first and only use of virtual pc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020