advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Was there really another PowerPC chip on tap for Apple?
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 22, 2006 11:56AM
[www.theregister.co.uk]

"Did Apple make a mistake by switching to Intel? We may never know, but Apple had more options than has been previously reported, The Register can exclusively reveal.
A chip start-up that created a high performance, low power processor compatible with existing Mac software had been working closely with the computer company for many months."

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Was there really another PowerPC chip on tap for Apple?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 22, 2006 12:04PM
Who cares... At least we have a chip that all computer manufactures are using so us 3-5% marketshare people won't have to be left behind again... Or so I hope...

Bill
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 22, 2006 12:09PM
The Register is the National Enquirer of tech journalism.

And no disrespect to the stellar minds that were behind that company, but if the giant IBM couldn't deliver what Apple needed, what makes you think some small startup could?

That said, I am kind of wishing that they would have brought AMD into the mix in addition to Intel.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 22, 2006 12:13PM
Seacrest
That said, I am kind of wishing that they would have brought AMD into the mix in addition to Intel.

I'm with you on this.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 22, 2006 12:21PM
I came across that bit of news earlier today...it did get me thinking.

I'm not sure going with the same chip everyone else uses (granted, Intel had really make an evolutionary/revelutinary stride with its design to get Apple on board) is necessarily a good thing.

For example, during the early days of PowerPC (and correct me if I'm wrong here), the AIM Alliance was intent on making increasingly powerful processors...and this did not mean increasing the clock speeds to achieve this. I mean, the evolution of the chips were getting more powerful, all the while expending less heat.

Sure, maybe we were paying more for the chips in our machines, but we were getting a better product, which were a better value for our dollar in my opinion.

At some point along the way, it seemed to me that AIM was finally succumbing to the public perception of clock speed and sacrificing pure progress for marketing specs. To me, this is when it started to go downhill.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 22, 2006 12:40PM
Carnos Jax
At some point along the way, it seemed to me that AIM was finally succumbing to the public perception of clock speed and sacrificing pure progress for marketing specs. To me, this is when it started to go downhill.

I think it started to go downhill when IBM (the only part of the Alliance that was still doing much of anything) couldn't design a small enough, fast enough, cool enough (for portables) Power processor going forward.

I could be wrong, though.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: May 22, 2006 12:58PM
PA Semi had an interesting sounding product, but it's not even due to ship in any kind of quantity until 2007. Apple simply couldn't afford to fall that far behind the Wintel world.

In the end, IBM and Motorola/Freescale just couldn't get excited enough about producing chips primarily for Apple at the pace of advancement that Apple required. Not enough economies of scale or alternate sources of revenue for the chips they produced, though IBM would have been wise to adopt the G5 for some of its server and/or workstation products, but nooooo.

IBM had no actual experience AFAIK in developing and building a CPU for mobile, low-power, low-heat applications. No wonder they couldn't quite get there.

As for AMD, I think Apple reserves the right to do something there. But let's see how Intel's forthcoming desktop and workstation/server CPUs stack up against Athlon and Opteron.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 22, 2006 02:25PM
It's been 2 years for the 7448 -- 1mb cache at full clock, now at 2GHz, 10 watts ----- and they still can't get more out the door than you can fit in your pocket.

In addition, there was talk 13 years ago about something before the PPC - but that went into the tank as well. Some 3rd party chip, as well as stacked 030s like the Radius Rocket was - NuBus card/computer, 5+1 in a box - mega computer in a Mac IIfx.

If IBM was going to crank dual core G5s in quantity - at this point I don't think I much care, based on what info we have, because the economy of scale keeps costs down, and ever since the 3.06GHz P4 came out, I knew we were getting our clock cleaned. I didn't even realize both AMD and Intel had already worked out the full "Altivec Equiv" - and were also running at 2x the clock (and then some).

There is a dual core 3.73GHz P4 out there now. Makes me wonder what a pair of those will do in a tower - or better yet, unless Intel gets a 64 bit out the door, if an AMD for the towers might not be an option.

The G4 upgrade potential, pin for pin, on the 7448, is great ----- unless all they do is issue paperwork about it.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 22, 2006 03:08PM
I still wonder what would have happened if Exponential Tech had a little more time.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020