advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Follow up: Follow up: Can you uninstall a security update?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: December 02, 2010 09:09AM
Original threads:
Can you uninstall a security update?

Follow up: Can you uninstall a security update?

Turns out there is an incompatibility in the OS 10.5.8/PPC G5/Flash Player 10.1 mix. The Adobe Flash Player website indicates that the PPC version works with up to OS 10.4. By selecting my OS version as 10.3, I was able to download Flash Player 9, which seems to work now. Adobe stated that Flash Player updates beyond 10.1 will not be compatible with PPC systems.

BTW:
Article Accelerator
You do not require Flash to view (most) YouTube videos:

[www.youtube.com]

At that link, you find that you need the beta version of FireFox 4. I downloaded that version, but apparently it will not run on PPC. The application icon was greyed and had an overlay of the "prohibited" symbol (red circle with a slash). I did not try the iPad user agent trick.

I am not a fan of Flash for all of the reasons that have been mentioned in this forum and elsewhere, but without it many websites cannot be accessed or have a "diminished user experience". Try the Hyundai USA website without it. (We are in the car shopping mode.)

Thanks, this forum rocks!

Mike
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Follow up: Follow up: Can you uninstall a security update?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 02, 2010 10:06AM
flareslow
BTW:
Article Accelerator
You do not require Flash to view (most) YouTube videos:

[www.youtube.com]

At that link, you find that you need the beta version of FireFox 4.

Or Safari 4 or 5, both of which will run on 10.5 PPC. Then set YouTube's prefs to give you HTML5 videos where available.

Go for version 5, as you'll gain Extensions, and there's a very good Safari extension for Click-to-Flash (look for it on Apple's Extensions page, do NOT bother with the older plugin found elsewhere and made by someone else). Very easy to enable Flash on a case-by-case basis.
Re: Follow up: Follow up: Can you uninstall a security update?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 02, 2010 11:32AM
In addition to deckeda's suggestions, here's another trick that has worked well for me:

[daringfireball.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020