advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Assange (wikileaks) for Nobel Peace Prize?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: December 09, 2010 09:12AM
I guess if a commander in chief can win a peace prize, why not this other, literal, hack?

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Russia has suggested that Julian Assange should be awarded the Nobel peace prize, in an unexpected show of support from Moscow for the jailed WikiLeaks founder.

In related news: Sweden had 4,000 reported rapes with only 6 convictions.

[www.guardian.co.uk]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Assange (wikileaks) for Nobel Peace Prize?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 09, 2010 09:19AM
Isn't Russian philosophical sense of humour wonderful regarding human rights and political persecution in the West ?
Date: December 09, 2010 09:36AM
Your guess is as good as mine on that one.
There are elements of their society that appear as dichotomies.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 09, 2010 09:52AM
I cannot see why Julian Assange is lauded as an international hero. He should be considered an international criminal. What he did has severly damaged US foreign policy.
Most likely the PFC that downloaded the classified material will be spending the rest of his life in a military jail and Julian Assange belongs in the next cell. Unauthorized release or use of classified material is considered a criminal offense according to US law. And don't go comparing this to the release of the Pentagon Papers. Two completely differnet situations.
Peace Prize? More like the booby prize.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 09, 2010 10:22AM
> He should be considered an international criminal.

He committed no international crime so is not a criminal internationally.

He will die but not in prison. The US intelligence community won't take him out but rather the financial institutions who have raped our country and who fear what he has on them will kill him.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 09, 2010 10:48AM
Move this over...
Posted by: haikuman
Date: December 09, 2010 11:27AM
DP
Move this over...
agree smiley Not quite ready for primetime...~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: weapon
Date: December 09, 2010 11:44AM
If Al gore can win one, anyone can. It is no longer nobel or a prize.
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 09, 2010 12:31PM
richorlin
I cannot see why Julian Assange is lauded as an international hero. He should be considered an international criminal. What he did has severly damaged US foreign policy.

According to our political leaders, members of the State Department and the military, this stuff has had no practical effect upon our relations with other nations. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates put it this way:

But let me -- let me just offer some perspective as somebody who's been at this a long time. Every other government in the world knows the United States government leaks like a sieve, and it has for a long time... The fact is, governments deal with the United States because it's in their interest, not because they like us, not because they trust us, and not because they believe we can keep secrets. Many governments -- some governments deal with us because they fear us, some because they respect us, most because they need us... Is this embarrassing? Yes. Is it awkward? Yes. Consequences for U.S. foreign policy? I think fairly modest.

What we have from Wikileaks -- like it or not -- is a tiny bit more information about how slimy our government has become lately and how secretive it is about stuff that nobody should be making secret.

And it's good to know.

It might just drive some reform.

God bless Mr. Assange and his cohorts. God bless America.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 09, 2010 12:43PM
Piling on Doc's message, civil rights lawyer Glenn Greenwald said:

"Whatever you think of WikiLeaks, they have not been charged with a crime, let alone indicted or convicted. Yet look what has happened to them. They have been removed from Internet … their funds have been frozen … media figures and politicians have called for their assassination and to be labeled a terrorist organization. What is really going on here is a war over control of the Internet, and whether or not the Internet can actually serve its ultimate purpose—which is to allow citizens to band together and democratize the checks on the world’s most powerful factions," – Glenn Greenwald.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 09, 2010 12:47PM
numbered
Piling on Doc's message, civil rights lawyer Glenn Greenwald said:

"Whatever you think of WikiLeaks, they have not been charged with a crime, let alone indicted or convicted. Yet look what has happened to them. They have been removed from Internet … their funds have been frozen … media figures and politicians have called for their assassination and to be labeled a terrorist organization. What is really going on here is a war over control of the Internet, and whether or not the Internet can actually serve its ultimate purpose—which is to allow citizens to band together and democratize the checks on the world’s most powerful factions," – Glenn Greenwald.

agree smiley

With that lawyer and Doc. There are people out there writing comments on this story wanting him executed for treason.

WTF, I say.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: billb
Date: December 09, 2010 01:16PM
Australia will have to do the executing then.
He's still Australian a far as I know.

treason is betrayal of a sovereign country or state
Sweden revoked his application for citizenship supposedly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 01:16PM by billb.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 09, 2010 02:55PM
One wonders (carefully...hopefully not killing this thread or pushing it over to the other side) whether folks consider Daniel Ellsberg (of the Pentagon Papers) a traitor worthy of assassination?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: December 09, 2010 03:14PM
They shoot horses don't they ....? *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: December 09, 2010 04:56PM
I wonder if a government whose every meeting, decision, etc was open to audience/gallery, or audio/video transmission, and or thorough minutes could operate.

I mean, is there anything that could not be in the public forum?
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 10, 2010 04:09PM
Take it from one who works in that field, there are some things our government does that definitely should not be made public. Enough said.
Date: December 10, 2010 07:05PM
It's a smokescreen for the gov to take control of the internet. We are in the last days of free/open/unrestricted web.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020