advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When Company Policy Trumps Human Decency ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 21, 2010 11:24AM
Last night I was in a local discount grocery store looking for (and finding) a special kind of noodle my wife puts in her late month-in-law's Christmas Soup.

And witnessed a rather upsetting accident. An elderly (90 + from the look) lady was walking into the store and slipped just inside the door. Fell, bashed her head, and cried out. The manager was summoned, the pharmacist (?) was summoned, and gave some basic first aid, which consisted of telling her to not move, and 911 was called. Well and good.

And then the manager got out a little disposable camera and proceeded to take her picture, a picture of the area, etc... While she lay on the floor, whimpering in pain. Nobody knelt to hold her hand and tell her the paramedics were on their way.

That bothers me. Perhaps I have been that person in a few accidents that I happened upon.... It's OK, hold still, help is on it's way. You'll be fine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When Company Policy Trumps Human Decency ?
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 21, 2010 11:36AM
Can't fault the manager for documenting the scene, but they could have done something to reassure the injured customer.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 21, 2010 11:37AM
He probably gets great evaluations as a manager. As a human - not so much.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 21, 2010 11:49AM
Make yourself available for her testimony. Next time whip out your phone and get pics of HIM taking pics.
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 21, 2010 11:52AM
> Nobody knelt to hold her hand and tell her the paramedics were on their way.

Not even you?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 21, 2010 11:59AM
The behavior is certainly cold and offensive, but I know of worse. Years ago Michael X, a former co-worker of mine, had been out for a job interview. He stopped at a Burger King for coffee shortly before noon. This particular location (45th and Lex) had a downstairs area where restrooms were located. While he was there, a young woman struggled up the stairs, bleeding from what were later determined to be multiple knife wounds, and collapsed. Michael, who had been a medic while serving in the military, rushed over to help and comfort her. He got a tie from a bystander to use as a tourniquet, and did what else he could to control the bleeding from her many wounds while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

Believe it or not, while this was going on, the manager of the Burger King hovered nearby, repeating ad nauseam that the woman had to be gotten out of there because the noon rush was about to start.

For those who are curious: the young woman survived her injuries. Her attacker was caught in the restaurant: a former mental patient from California who had been lurking downstairs near the restrooms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 12:01PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 21, 2010 12:01PM
Doc
> Nobody knelt to hold her hand and tell her the paramedics were on their way.

Not even you?

I was not allowed into the area. It was a very narrow entranceway.
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: December 21, 2010 12:15PM
Back when I worked retail slip-and-fall scams were rampant. The managers had to be vigilant and document document document or it would be their ass on the line.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 21, 2010 12:19PM
Was she his mother ?

Just as likely part of a scam as protecting oneself from one. Fir all we know that's the 27th person this year and he's been trying to get a poor condition at that doorway repaired /addressed.

For all we know he'd be fired if he didn't. Slip-N-Slide scam is one of the oldest ones around.
Posted by: JPK
Date: December 21, 2010 12:41PM
As one who has been sued:

hate the game, not the player.

JPK
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: December 21, 2010 12:44PM
Thank the next lawyer you meet.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 21, 2010 12:50PM
rob banzai
Back when I worked retail slip-and-fall scams were rampant. The managers had to be vigilant and document document document or it would be their ass on the line.

That's true, which is why I don't blame the manager for proper documentation. He could have sent in one of his minions to provide basic comfort while he documented.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 21, 2010 01:39PM
Why do you think this is company policy? I think you're just making that up to incite some outrage.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: zero
Date: December 21, 2010 02:51PM
cbelt3
Nobody knelt to hold her hand and tell her the paramedics were on their way.

That bothers me. Perhaps I have been that person in a few accidents that I happened upon.... It's OK, hold still, help is on it's way. You'll be fine.

Too bad you just stood there and watched...
sad smiley
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 21, 2010 02:54PM
Uncle Wig
He probably gets great evaluations as a manager. As a human - not so much.

"that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him. "
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 21, 2010 02:57PM
zero
cbelt3
Nobody knelt to hold her hand and tell her the paramedics were on their way.

Too bad you just stood there and watched...
sad smiley
cbelt3
I was not allowed into the area. It was a very narrow entranceway.

Read carefully.

Posted by: rob banzai
Date: December 21, 2010 04:09PM
As a preventive measure just taser customers as they approach the door. If they have to crawl inside there's much less chance of a dangerous slip and fall.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 21, 2010 06:51PM
How did you manage to find and read the company policy in its entirety while all that was going on?

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020