advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any bike experts?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 25, 2006 09:57AM
I've been riding my bike quite a bit more lately and I've noticed an odd problem that is inherently difficult to observe.

Particularly while pedaling hard, once in a while it feels like the chain slips a link or two. CHUNK! I'm back to pedaling just fine but this might happen a number of times in a half an hour ride and it gets annoying.

If I could see it happen I might have an easy understanding of the problem but since i'm on the bike at the time its very difficult.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any bike experts?
Posted by: threeprong
Date: May 25, 2006 10:06AM
My best guess is a rounded tooth on the chainring.

Clean the grease off of the chain ring you use most and you will likely discover one or more have rounded off.

A fairly easy fix at the bike shop.

3p
Posted by: dbow
Date: May 25, 2006 10:07AM
How old is the bike, how many miles. it could be a worn chain which will involve a new chain and most likely a cassette/freewheel as well(the gears in back) as they wear together.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 25, 2006 10:14AM
could be;
a] worn cog tooth
b] frozen/sticky/bent/worn chain link
c] faulty/sticky/bent/worn/out of adjustment derailluer
d] any combination of the above

get/borrow a track stand, and have somebody watch while you pedal AFTER you inspect the running gear of the power train... you can likely spot a or b with a careful eye, c may be tougher until bike is powered. good luck.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: dbow
Date: May 25, 2006 10:27AM
I totally forgot about a frozen link, just pedal it backwards with your hand while carefully watching the rear derailluer. If you find a sticky link lube and flex back and forth until it frees up.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: May 25, 2006 10:31AM
Most likely you are dealing with a worn out chain and cogwheels. Happens all the time. The only cure for this is a new chain and new cogwheel set in back. When you change the chain, it's a good idea to change the gears in back to "match" the two so they don't skip.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: May 25, 2006 10:54AM
my friend Mark goes thru cranks on a regular basis. of course, he hammers the hell out of his bike.

[www.twowheeledlocust.typepad.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 25, 2006 10:58AM
Could you give a little more info? Is this a: road bike with front and rear derailleur, five speed with only a rear derailleur, three speed with a shifting rear hub, fixed gear cruiser?

If it is a single gear bike, you just need to slide the axle back in the slot.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 25, 2006 11:31AM
Its a 21 gear mountain bike that i've started to use to commute to work. (14 miles a day)

maybe someone could point me to a good resource on maintaining bikes. I'm sure it could use a good tune up but i just haven't taken the time. also, i could take it to a bbike shop....but something feels wrong about that. I'm man, i fix things!

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 25, 2006 12:03PM
Lots of good advice so far...

Spiff
When you change the chain, it's a good idea to change the gears in back to "match" the two so they don't skip.

I actually disagree with that. As long as it's not a super cheap cassette or freewheel, there is a tolerance built in to account for chain stretch. If the cassette/freewheel is so worn that a new chain has issues with it, the front chain rings will likely need to be replaced as well.

There are tools to measure chain stretch. If the chain isn't too stretched, replacing the freewheel/cassette is a waste of money. If the chain is over stretched, then everything should be replaced and considering he's commuting with it, he should buy a chain gauge so he can check it for himself every couple months. Then just replace the chain as need.

Here's what I'd do:
1. First check for a frozen or damaged link in the chain
2. Clean the cogs, chain and rear derailleur
3. If the problem persists, it could be you're suffering from the result of too much chain stretch or your freewheel or freehub are going out or need to be overhauled.

I would take it to a bike shop. The first tune up should cost much less than the proper tools needed to actually do it yourself.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 25, 2006 04:41PM
Unless your bike is old or really cheap, I doubt there is anything wrong with your chain rings. You could look for missing teeth or obvious problems. Turn it upside down and run it through the gears (a bike rack is better since you can then do this upright). I bought my mt bike in 1988 and do need to consider replacing mine.

The most obvious problem would be rusted/sticky chain. Chains are cheap and easy to replace, assuming you get a chain tool. If you leave your bike out in the rain when you commute, you should probably just plan to replace your chain every year or so. If the clump is more regular, then a bottom bracket and/or a cheap cranks shaft that slips can clump like that, but that is usually every time the pedals go around. A bottom bracket is a big job not for the faint of heart.

If this sounds too complicated, then a bike shop should be able to fix this as part of a tune up.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 25, 2006 05:55PM
Clean and lube the chain, and inspect it carefully. Also clean and inspect the gears for anything abnormal. If that doesn't clear up the problem, then take it in.

Chain stretch is a possibility, as others have mentioned. they are maybe $25 unless you get a really expensive one, or need an exotic one.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 25, 2006 06:43PM
Also, don't use WD-40 on a bike. Get one of the lubes from a bike shop like Finish Line or Tri-Flow. They repel dirt instead of attracting it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: h'
Date: May 26, 2006 12:43AM
Why did the bicycle fall over?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 26, 2006 01:12AM
gravity, and user error.

I use Tri-Flow on the wife's triathlon/marathon bike. There are marginally better lubes, but TriFlow is easy to clean off and re-apply.

And i can use it on my guns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 01:13AM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020