AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best TV show of 2010 : E! Online Poll
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 03, 2011 03:28PM
Best TV show Of 2010 as polled by E! Online
Supernatural: 50.4%
Castle: 49.6%

I buy 2 season passes from iTunes, and those are the ones. I even walked away from the Doctor.

Castle you can drop in at any time but Supernatural is in season 6 and walking into it now would be not in your best interest.

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best TV show of 2010 : E! Online Poll
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 03, 2011 03:32PM
Those shows are free of charge.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 03, 2011 04:16PM
I've never heard of either of those shows. Where did Breaking Bad end up?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: miK.
Date: January 03, 2011 04:38PM
The article's title is misleading. There's a difference between 'best' and
"the most dedicated, die-hard fans of any show on television".

For me, some of the best TV last year was...

Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Fringe
The Walking Dead
Community
Parks & Recreation
Justified
Sons of Anarchy
Terriers
Human Target
Bored to Death

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 04:38PM by miK..
Posted by: volcs0
Date: January 03, 2011 04:44PM
Have not heard of either of those.

Our family watches:

Modern Family
Community (though this has Jumped already)
Parks and Rec (my favorite sitcom, actually)
Outsourced (growing on me)
The Middle (pretty solid)
30 Rock (when it is good, it is really good)
Mike and Molly (a little crass for my tastes, but still funny IMO)

And my favorite show of 2010: Men of a Certain Age

Other shows worthy of my time:
Big Love (forgetting the last season)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Posted by: Z
Date: January 03, 2011 05:47PM
Fringe has gotten consistently more awesomer(?) as the year went along. I'm hoping the shift to the Friday timeslot will not portend it's end. Highly recommended if you haven't been watching, though there is probably something of a backlog to get caught up on. From the avclub.com season opener review:

avclub
Addendum for new viewers:

With Lost over and the new slate of fall shows leaning more episodic than serialized (with the exception of The Event, which is its own kind of crazy), I’ve been hearing from people curious about whether they should start watching Fringe. Some used to watch and then bailed; some have never seen a minute. But a lot of folks have heard that Fringe took a turn from the hit-and-miss to the pretty consistently awesome toward the end of its second season, and they want to know whether it’s worth watching all 40-plus existing episodes in order to hop on the bandwagon. Luckily for them, the very thing that makes Fringe problematic for some—the sometimes awkward blend of overarching mythology and MOTWs—also makes it easy to catch up. If you want to start watching Fringe, I’d suggest watching these 20 episodes, in this order. From Season One: “The Arrival,” “In Which We Meet Mr. Jones,” “The Equation,” “Safe,” “Bound,” “Ability,” “Bad Dreams,” “The Road Not Taken” and “There’s More Than One Of Everything.” From Season Two: “A New Day In The Old Town,” “Momentum Deferred,” “August,” “Snakehead,” “Grey Matters,” “Jacksonville,” “Peter,” “Olivia. In The Lab. With The Revolver,” “White Tulip,” “The Man From The Other Side” and “Over There.” Some of the mythology might be a little confusing at first, but it’s not that hard to pick up. And with a few exceptions (like “White Tulip,” included because of its overall excellence), these episodes aren’t Fringe stand-alones. They do advance the story, and will prepare you for the start of Season Three.

Or if you don’t have time for all that, just watch “Ability,” “The Road Not Taken,” “There’s More Than One Of Everything,” “Peter,” “The Man From The Other Side” and “Over There.” That should get you up and running.

Or just start here, with “Olivia.” You can piece together the backstory later.

Also enjoyed the pilot for Walking Dead, though don't have cable and didn't catch the other episodes. How I Met Your Mother has been a favorite, though has seemed to be a bit adrift this season. Perhaps there is only so much Barney Stinson a person can take. My wife's fave, Two and a Half Men, has been sorely lacking, even when compared to the low bar I usually measure it against.

Can't wait for Curling to get fully under way on Universal Sports. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 03, 2011 07:05PM
The wife and I just got caught up on Fringe (we watched all of this season the last few nights). I really honestly did not think I would like the whole olivia doppelganger plot going for the first half of the season but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 03, 2011 07:10PM
I find that I have stopped watching some shows that I previously followed, including Fringe and Dexter.

I just don't enjoy shows that are too grim and violent. By that I mean if a show is both grim and violent it seems to add to my level of anxiety, which is already high enough.

The key for me seems to be, for the most part, characters that I like.

I do enjoy shows like Terriers, Justified, Human Target, and even Sons of Anarchy as mentioned by miK, as well as Supernatural, Medium, Bones, Nikita, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, The Good Wife, Lie to Me, Weeds, Brothers and Sisters, Hawaii Five-0, The Defenders, Castle, Stargate Universe (with reservations), NCIS, Glee, Burn Notice, Psych, The Closer, Leverage, Dr Who, Eureka, White Collar, The Glades, Legend of the Seeker, Merlin, Southland, In Plain Sight, So You Think You Can Dance, Royal Pains, Rubicon, Outlaw, Californication, Memphis Beat, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency…

… the list seems to go on and on, even though I left out some shows that I loved like Saving Grace, I did my best t list shows that had even a small chance of returning.

Shows that I still miss, Firefly, Farscape, Joan of Arcadia, Deadwood, Rome and a bunch of really good British detective shows like A Touch of Frost, Cracker, Foyle's War, Inspector Morse and Prime Suspect.

Can you wear out a DVR? grinning smiley

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." sad smiley

gl
Posted by: dmann
Date: January 03, 2011 07:59PM
I haven't seen either show, but know they both have big fan bases.

My current "DVR" worthy shows are:
Comedy:
Modern Family
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
Glee
Big Bang Theory

Drama:
The Good Wife
Big Love
Brothers & Sisters
Parenthood

Reality:
Top Chef

I also get sucked into The Biggest Loser and tons of Food Network programs, but I don't record any of them.

DM
Date: January 03, 2011 08:09PM
GeneL
I find that I have stopped watching some shows that I previously followed, including Fringe and Dexter.

I just don't enjoy shows that are too grim and violent. By that I mean if a show is both grim and violent it seems to add to my level of anxiety, which is already high enough.

The key for me seems to be, for the most part, characters that I like.

I do enjoy shows like Terriers, Justified, Human Target, and even Sons of Anarchy as mentioned by miK, as well as Supernatural, Medium, Bones, Nikita, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, The Good Wife, Lie to Me, Weeds, Brothers and Sisters, Hawaii Five-0, The Defenders, Castle, Stargate Universe (with reservations), NCIS, Glee, Burn Notice, Psych, The Closer, Leverage, Dr Who, Eureka, White Collar, The Glades, Legend of the Seeker, Merlin, Southland, In Plain Sight, So You Think You Can Dance, Royal Pains, Rubicon, Outlaw, Californication, Memphis Beat, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency…

… the list seems to go on and on, even though I left out some shows that I loved like Saving Grace, I did my best t list shows that had even a small chance of returning.

Shows that I still miss, Firefly, Farscape, Joan of Arcadia, Deadwood, Rome and a bunch of really good British detective shows like A Touch of Frost, Cracker, Foyle's War, Inspector Morse and Prime Suspect.

Can you wear out a DVR? grinning smiley

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." sad smiley

gl

That's a lot of enjoyable television. Good to see "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" on there.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 03, 2011 10:11PM
i don't watch a lot of television.

that said, my wife likes to laugh watching "modern family" and i like to see my wife laugh.

we did watch one show this year that really stood out.

we watched via netflix "the wire", all the seasons and all the shows.

like i said, i don't watch a lot of tv.

ymmv

be well

rob
Posted by: miK.
Date: January 03, 2011 10:47PM
robfilms

Probably one of the best television shows ever!
Lofty praise, but I'm not the only one in this case.

[www.google.com]

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Date: January 03, 2011 11:59PM
robfilms

that said, my wife likes to laugh watching "modern family" and i like to see my wife laugh.

ymmv

be well

rob

It's all in the game though, right?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 04, 2011 06:33AM
vision63
robfilms

ymmv

be well

rob

It's all in the game though, right?

truth be told, we so much enjoyed the experience of watching "the wire" as a continuing series in 2010, that we just decided to make 2011 the year of "deadwood".

we don't subscribe to cable. we get our digital signal ota from our building's master antenna.

but hbo puts out a good product which i am happy to watch 3-4yrs after the initial airing.

ymmv

be well

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 06:34AM by robfilms.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 04, 2011 08:46AM
GeneL
I just don't enjoy shows that are too grim and violent.

...but you miss Deadwood? That was pretty much the very definition of grim and violent.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 04, 2011 08:54AM
"Mad Men" is probably the best show I watched last year. Breaking Bad is the best show I didn't watch (I saw the first season and will get around to the DVDs at some point). Rubicon is the show I won't watch next year and really hate that I can't. Lost and 24 are my "All good things must come to an end" shows for 2010 (And I'm on the Love it side of the "Love it or hate it" fence when it comes to the Lost finale). The Walking Dead wins my "I didn't think I'd like it, and I was right." show of 2010. Though not because of the zombies, like I thought, I just didn't like the writing. My finally watching it in syndication / Hey, this is good! show for 2010 is Entourage. And my guilty pleasure reality show for last year is The Amazing Race.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020