advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Verizon to offer unlimited data to iPhone, says Wall Street Journal
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2011 10:24AM
... as a way to differentialte itself from AT&T. But make no mistake, tiered plans are on the way.

[online.wsj.com]

But note decay's post below regarding data speeds between the two carriers. Unlimited data, as always, means essentially nothing when it comes down in a relative trickle. Or maybe Verizon's got a surprise up its sleeve.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Verizon to offer unlimited data to iPhone, says Wall Street Journal
Posted by: billb
Date: January 10, 2011 10:27AM
Verizon's definition of 'unlimited' should be interesting.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 10, 2011 10:28AM
My unlimited data Verizon Wireless plan on the Droid works great!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2011 10:29AM
.....the sky's the LIMIT.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 10, 2011 10:33AM
What I really want to see is if they will try to be really competitive on the monthly plan prices, or if they will mostly try to match ATT. We will see if they are going to play hard ball or just a more of the same type approach.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 10, 2011 11:09AM
My contract with AT&T is up in a few months. I'm going bye-bye to Verizon if it all comes true.

Change my response to "meh". Actually, I'll obviously stick with AT&T through the term of my contract and then weight the options. I had all but forgotten about the rollover minutes, which come in handy for my family. And once there's a mass exodus, maybe the networks will clear up a bit and AT&T will actually give a damn about improving it (and their plans) to try to keep people on.

Here's hoping the iPhone is available for every carrier sooner or later. Competition is good.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 11:26AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: January 10, 2011 11:14AM
I have no info on the iPhone coming to VZW. However, VZW's voice plans are the same as AT&T's in terms of minutes/cost per month. VZW does not have roll-over minutes. VZW has 2 data packages for smart phones/PDAs/Droid phones: unlimited for $29.99/month and $15 for 150MB/month. The unlimited is just that: unlimited data for the phone itself. If you want to tether it to your computer, that costs more.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 10, 2011 11:26AM
If tomorrow comes true, this will make not getting an iPhone difficult for me.

It's not like "i need one!" - but I know I would use it a great deal. All other phones that offered web access
and options to pipe in GMail as the email product to use (via Sprint) - they are so poorly implemented that
having them and using them are two different animals.

I will say this about Sprint's GPS for "most phones" - they pipe in what comes from their server, and
it is excellent. Far and above my TomTom window unit, and I was really impressed during my 2 week
demo of it --- I compared them while both the phone and the TomTom were on - and it was "no comparison."

But --- after inkcart refund checks - I got the Tomtom for between $10 and $20, and that's 1 or 2 months
of service to have Sprint's! ($9.95/month).

If I didn't have the GPS, might do it, but I do, so that's that.
Posted by: Monster
Date: January 10, 2011 01:03PM
I'm already on the unlimited data plan with AT&T, on two iPhones, and my contract has been up since July or August, and I'm still on a 3G.

I'm just waiting to see what happens before I make any decision, and that means I'll probably be waiting until June to see if the new iPhone comes out.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: Monster
Date: January 10, 2011 01:04PM
though I might be tempted to get a cheap 3Gs in the interim.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 10, 2011 04:38PM
I was able to keep my old unlimited data plan when I switched from my iPhone 3GS to my iPhone 4.

I agree with Zoidberg: all the rest of you go ahead and switch to VZW, it'll clear up ATTWS's network enough for me to have better service. grinning smiley

Did VZW ever sold the old CMDA issue of not being able to use voice and data at the same time? I thought that was supposed to be solved by a relatively minor rev to the CMDA spec that the iPhone 4VZW will presumably support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020