advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wow, it's an unlucky week for pets. Rest in pease, Daisy
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: May 26, 2006 07:25PM
I came home today to find my little baby snow corn, Daisy, dead. I'd fed her last night but I had a feeling something wasn't right. She ate but was awfully slow about it. She was born with several kinks in her back. Kinked snakes often suffer from internal deformities as well. I have a feeling this was the case with Daisy. She was a sweet little snake and I'm going to miss her.

I can at least take comfort in that she spent her short life in the company of 2 other corns, so she was never alone - not even when she died. I knew when I got her that she might not make it to adulthood. It's still sad, though, because I really did have hope for her. For the first 4 months that I had her, she seemed to do quite well. For the past few months, she hasn't been able to eat very large meals (definitely a sign that something wasn't right). She'd regurgitate if fed more than 1 pinky. She should have been able to handle 3 pinkies at each meal.

Click the link if you'd like to see her picture: [s92177251.onlinehome.us]

Goodbye Daisy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wow, it's an unlucky week for pets. Rest in pease, Daisy
Posted by: chipsteĀ®
Date: May 26, 2006 07:54PM
Sorry Steph..
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 26, 2006 07:58PM
I have trouble relating to snakes, but I can relate to the pain of losing a pet. I'm very sorry Stephanie. sad smiley
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 26, 2006 08:07PM
Sorry to hear about Daisy.

Grateful11
Date: May 26, 2006 08:10PM
Thanks chipsteĀ®

AlphaDog, to put my snakes into perspective...I've had many people tell me that ours are like little furless, legless puppy dogs. That & they don't bark. Outside of our bull/pine/gopher snakes, they don't make any noise at all.

They're really quite friendly animals. They're smarter than they're given credit for. Also very inquisitive, funny, charming...you name it.

I used to joke that I was going to glue fake fur, legs & ears to one of my snakes so that no one would be able to tell it wasn't a dog. smiling smiley

Thanks for the sympathy though.

Thanks Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 08:11PM by Stephanie.
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 26, 2006 08:13PM
I am so sorry to hear about Daisy, Steph. The thought of losing one of my pets sends me over the deep end.

DM
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 26, 2006 08:20PM
That sucks sad smiley

But I'm glad she had a friend like you while she was here!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 26, 2006 08:24PM
thanks dmann, I know what you mean. Some of our snakes are now reaching the point where they're considered "old" & middle-aged. I'm going to have to prepare myself up for some massive heartache in a few years. Losing babies like Daisy sure doesn't help matters.

Hey Paul! Thanks. Given that my mother & I seem to take in a lot of "special needs" snakes, you'd think I'd be used to this sorta thing. I take more comfort in the fact that she had two friends to live with, rather than her having me as a friend. The snakes only get to see me at night & on weekends. It's her snake friends that were with her when she died.

I don't know what's worse...having a snake die in my hands or coming home to find one dead. Both equally as bad, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 08:24PM by Stephanie.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 26, 2006 08:32PM
Sorry Steph sad smiley ... no, it hasn't been a good week for pets. I suspect that Steph and I are similar in that we've both done some rescues, and in a lot of ways it's harder for those, because you especially want the animal to make it.

As for snakes being hard to relate to, it's a matter of perspective. We all typically relate better to mammals because, well, we're mammals ourselves, and the non-mammalian species often strike us as being "alien". But being able to put yourself into the mindset of another species, especially a non-mammalian one, is a special and very useful ability. For example, Steph has obviously picked up on many of the many behavioral cues of her snakes, in the same way I've done with my frogs (and now, my hamsters). In the case of the frogs, it helps that they often have anthropomorphic faces; but even if they didn't, I think I could figure out what they want, don't want, like, and dislike-- just requires paying careful attention. Same goes for the snakes, I imagine.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 26, 2006 08:42PM
I am sorry to hear about Daisy, and about your hamster PeterB. I get awfully broken up when I lose a pet, so I know how sad you must feel.

I think almost any critter responds if you give it time and attention. We had goldfish for a while in a 20 gallon tank. Whoever got home first in the evening would feed them (they would flutter back and forth at the glass of the tank asking to be fed). Unbelievably, to me anyhow, they would then stop asking for food until the other of us came home. Then when THAT person came into the room they would ask to be fed again, although they had been fed and were no longer asking the first person. Which is a very long-winded way of saying it seemed like they could tell us apart. I couldn't believe it, but it happened almost every day. Oh, and I taught them to come to the surface when I rang a bell, by ringing it each night before I fed them. So even a goldfish can interact with us!
Re: Wow, it's an unlucky week for pets. Rest in peace, Daisy
Date: May 26, 2006 08:47PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head, Peter.

and I have to laugh...I must be really upset because I didn't even notice the typo in my subject line. I really DO know how to spell "peace"

That made me laugh.

I still can't believe I'm taking this as hard as I am. It really doesn't get easier. I've lost a number of babies over the years (due to similar, congenital problems) & it really doesn't get any easier.

Peter, one last thing...your comment about it being easier to relate to mammals. Could be, but the one thing I've learned from keeping snakes is that non-mammals really aren't so different from the "cute & fuzzy" mammals that everyone seems to love.

It's quite interesting to analyze why snakes are perceived so harshly by so many. I think that's why I work so hard to try to teach people about these animals.

Anyway, I think I'm off for now. I'm going to go tend to Rusty & Ducky (Daisy's companions). Despite what you might think, snakes are pretty sensitive and they can sense that their companion's passed away. I need to move them to a new enclosure - one without her smell in it.

When my first snake passed away in 97, his companions seemed to spend days searching for him. It was very odd and sad.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 26, 2006 08:52PM
Well, when you get the fur, ears, and tail model ready, Steph, let me know. smiling smiley

I like fish! And frogs. And birds. And I even did an earthworm rescue a couple of months ago. What put me over the edge about snakes happened right after I moved to Florida. My niece said I could spend a couple of days with her until my apartment was ready. I got in late, quickly dropped my stuff in the bedroom they indicated, and didn't notice the tank with the HUUGGGEEE python in it until it was too late to bail out. I didn't sleep a wink; that snake spent the whole night staring at me and licking his chops. I moved to a motel the next day.
Posted by: Spock
Date: May 26, 2006 09:04PM
AlphaDog
What put me over the edge about snakes happened right after I moved to Florida. My niece said I could spend a couple of days with her until my apartment was ready. I got in late, quickly dropped my stuff in the bedroom they indicated, and didn't notice the tank with the HUUGGGEEE python in it until it was too late to bail out. I didn't sleep a wink; that snake spent the whole night staring at me and licking his chops. I moved to a motel the next day.

This one bit off a little more than it could chew.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 26, 2006 09:08PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Steph.

We lost one of our rabbits a few weeks ago. Tevye (as in "Fiddler on the Roof") was about 9 years ago, which is a full life for rabbits. He hadn't been eating well, was having diarrhea, and then probably got dehydrated. I took him to the vet when I couldn't get him to start eating even the snacks he liked. He passed away at the vet office.

His mate for the last 8 years, Murphy, is doing okay, but obviously sad, as are we.

The loss of a pet hits us hard. We were devestated when we lost our original rabbit many years ago (before we got Murphy and Tevye).

[www.rainbowbridge.com] is a nice website to remember our pets by. Just try to ignore the Midi "Imagine" on the main page.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 26, 2006 09:56PM
Steph-
Sorry to hear about your loss. The little guy was fortunate to have someone like you to care for him during his short life.

While I can't relate to snakes either (except for 'cool, and go home, little slitherer'), I can relate to pets, and loving them, and losing them.

.. the love you take, is equal to the love you make...
Re: Wow, it's an unlucky week for pets. Rest in peace, Daisy
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 26, 2006 11:27PM
Stephanie
Peter, one last thing...your comment about it being easier to relate to mammals. Could be, but the one thing I've learned from keeping snakes is that non-mammals really aren't so different from the "cute & fuzzy" mammals that everyone seems to love.
<br />

<br />
It's quite interesting to analyze why snakes are perceived so harshly by so many. I think that's why I work so hard to try to teach people about these animals.
<br />

Steph, my comment was directed just to the point that a lot of people will say-- "You have WHAT kind of pets?!?" and it is pretty incredible how 'species-ist' people can be sometimes. They don't understand that you cannot judge an animal by its appearance-- for example, bears might look absolutely cuddly, but don't try to cuddle with one! Conversely, reptiles might look fierce and scary to some, but may make great pets. I agree with you about the non-mammals not being so very different from the "cute & fuzzy" -- I think it's a function of brain development, NOT of species. That is, the more intelligent critters are also logically more likely to be the ones which have more personality, independent of species. (For example, I've heard-- no personal experience, obviously-- that as far as invertebrates go, cuttlefish make great pets.)

As for why reptiles are not perceived well-- I think a lot of it is conditioned learning.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss-- obviously, I know how it is to lose treasured pets.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: spearmint
Date: May 27, 2006 12:05AM
Let us know about your other reptile friends. Nice to hear about them. Pix are always good.

Da Good Life
Posted by: bangman
Date: May 27, 2006 04:10AM
Sad to hear.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020