Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My gut feeling...
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 17, 2011 03:54PM
is that Steve won't be coming back.

This message included "I love Apple....." and that just rang as an unsaid statement
that he had to get out there, to everyone, and it sounds like a subtle "goodbye."

Sure, it's a 50/50 guess, but - he's also at the average survival point for the pancreatic
condition, and that never factored into requiring a liver transplant.

It just doesn't feel like "well... we'll be here as soon as you're ready to come back!"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My gut feeling...
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 17, 2011 04:01PM
We all won't be coming back at some point. 100% guess. I'm sure Jobs doesn't know for sure himself.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 17, 2011 04:07PM
Well, the context here is one that I hope I'm very very wrong. I've had this company in my blood for a
long time, and even when he wasn't there, I still considered the place his.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 17, 2011 04:26PM
It will always be his place. Forever. Even after the people that follow him do whatever they do with it.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 17, 2011 04:27PM
that's the Dulcolax talking

I wouldn't count on him walking the halls again - which leaves the door open about as much as he has.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 17, 2011 04:47PM
Actually, it really hasn't been Steve for quite some time now. We've all been duped by a fantastic cyborg!
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 17, 2011 04:52PM
I agree that that was an odd statement if he were confident of coming back.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 17, 2011 04:57PM
I don't have a good feeling about this either.

Bill Gates will probably live to be 100, but he will still be Bill Gates.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 17, 2011 05:33PM
Let's all hope for the best. What a wonderful ride he has taken us on so far!
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 17, 2011 05:34PM
Yes I do wish him the best.
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: January 17, 2011 05:51PM
He'll go down in history as a man who changed the world ... as he set out to do all those years ago, and as one of the most influential people of this century.

That said, he's not gone yet. We shouldn't start doing obituaries yet, although I admit that this message sounds like one.
Posted by: Black
Date: January 17, 2011 06:05PM
billb
that's the Dulcolax talking

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by this but you almost made me spit my coffee . . .

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: January 17, 2011 07:20PM
He has looked like death warmed over since the beginning of his problem, and when he didn't gain any weight after his transplant I figured he'd just bought himself some extra time. Vigor aside he has had the look of a terminal patient this whole time. It hurts to see how skeleton-like he has become.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 17, 2011 07:29PM
Love the guy and what he's done for the planet and all of us. I think you're right, Jimmypoo.

I wish him every kind of joy he can find while he's here on Earth.
Date: January 17, 2011 07:29PM
I think the announcement read that he will be concentrating on his health, not his death.

Posted by: ishanbh
Date: January 17, 2011 09:01PM
As an MD who sees both cancer patients and those after liver transplants, those that do well do not look like Mr. Jobs looks; he is emaciated, weak and obviously fatigued. He is saying his goodbyes. I just wish that the Apple Board would admit (to its shareholders, which own the company) in a general way that Mr. Jobs is extremely ill and wish him well, so all the ghoulish articles about how many weeks/months he has to live and exactly what ails him would stop. That is none of my business. His overall health though IS my business, because I'm an investor and part-owner of the company and Apple and Jobs are one and the same, in a market sense.

Having said all that, and despite knowing with certainty that we will all die, I will miss him when his time comes. I hope his passing is painless and he is able to move on to wherever it is we go when life ends, surrounded by people who love him.

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
-Gandhi
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 17, 2011 09:53PM
Yeah, I'm not expecting that we'll see him back at Apple in any significant way.

Beyond that, he hasn't looked at all well in the recent past, and with this latest turn all that can be done is to send out wishes for the best possible outcome to be had, whatever the exact circumstances actually are. I can't say I'm hopeful in the long run.

There is a part of me that wonders if the long term outlook for his health was never rosy, and suspects that, while there were business reasons behind it as well, the departure of Apple from Macworld was at least in some small part weighted by the looming prospect of Jobs not being capable of continuing as the de facto ringmaster of Apple's presence.

On a much more pedestrian level, it's hard to imagine that Apple will be the same without the the extraordinarily potent combination of vision, damn the torpedoes chutzpah and business savvy that Jobs infused Apple with. I don't know how much of that vitality they'll be able to replace. Not to slight the remaining leadership at Apple, but there is only so much that competence of even the highest order can do to fill the vacuum left by genius.

Jobs didn't just capture lightning in a bottle, he is lightning in a bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 09:56PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 17, 2011 10:21PM
If Jobs really is that ill and is really not coming back, I would think that he would be moving his company in a direction that would insure its continued success without him, whether it be in grooming a successor or a small group of successors, or laying out a long-term vision. I think he may have been doing that with Cook and Ive, I think both of them can see Steve's vision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 10:22PM by Sam3.
Date: January 17, 2011 11:50PM
Blankity Blank
Yeah, I'm not expecting that we'll see him back at Apple in any significant way.

Beyond that, he hasn't looked at all well in the recent past, and with this latest turn all that can be done is to send out wishes for the best possible outcome to be had, whatever the exact circumstances actually are. I can't say I'm hopeful in the long run.

There is a part of me that wonders if the long term outlook for his health was never rosy, and suspects that, while there were business reasons behind it as well, the departure of Apple from Macworld was at least in some small part weighted by the looming prospect of Jobs not being capable of continuing as the de facto ringmaster of Apple's presence.

On a much more pedestrian level, it's hard to imagine that Apple will be the same without the the extraordinarily potent combination of vision, damn the torpedoes chutzpah and business savvy that Jobs infused Apple with. I don't know how much of that vitality they'll be able to replace. Not to slight the remaining leadership at Apple, but there is only so much that competence of even the highest order can do to fill the vacuum left by genius.

Jobs didn't just capture lightning in a bottle, he is lightning in a bottle.

And the moment he's out of the picture we'll be indefinitely drowning in repetitive discussions about what Apple should or shouldn't do, what it's doing wrong, etc. , like it's 1997 again.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 18, 2011 02:24AM
He's given us a lot, and i wish him all the best. All the same, there are many people here i do, and would, miss far more than Steve Jobs.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 18, 2011 09:02AM
I would think that he would be moving his company in a direction that would insure its continued success without him, whether it be in grooming a successor or a small group of successors, or laying out a long-term vision.

I'm sure he's been doing that for some time. If he is in ill health and knows he may not be back in any significant way, this would seem the best way to ease on down the road, without sending Apple into a huge tailspin.

I know some people think it's best for the company if Stevie "comes clean", but I say they're wrong. People are just too fickle.

And the moment he's out of the picture we'll be indefinitely drowning in repetitive discussions about what Apple should or shouldn't do, what it's doing wrong, etc. , like it's 1997 again.

I'll be avoiding those threads. They are always a huge waste of time.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 18, 2011 10:37AM
I agree with Jimmypoo.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 18, 2011 10:39AM
rgG
Bill Gates will probably live to be 100, but he will still be Bill Gates.

Considering how much charity work he has enabled through his foundation, I don't think one should hold that against him.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020