advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: It's summer time and I'm finally ready to get back into shape.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 30, 2006 08:00AM
I'm defiantly overweight and out of shape. I'm about 180 LBS and 5' 10". I also just turned 31 so there is no time like the present to get in shape. I would like to loose some weight and build up my strength a little bit. I know I asked you guys last year on how to eat better and get into shape but our newborn kind of got in the way of this. Just way too exhausted to get into shape. Now, my son is 13-14 months old and I'm ready to get back into shape. Plus it's summer I'm going to start by getting back on my bowflex tonight for 20-30 minutes (after the boy goes to bed). Then, I'm going to makes sure I have a schedule to do this at least 3 days a weeks. I plan on getting on a better diet as well.

So, can you guys help motivate me and offer "REALISTIC" suggestions on how to get into shape. I don't need to look like a body builder just want to loose the weight, feel stronger and get rid of my beer gut (which is my biggest issue seeing I DON'T DRINK BEER OR ALCOHOL).

Here is what I have to work with.

1) BowFlex
2) Mountain Bike
3) Rollerblades
4) Jogging Stroller (If my workout time gets messed up due to watching the boy)
5) Recumbent Bike (given to me and it's sitting in the garage right now)

Here are my obstacles

1) wife works 2 night a week
2) Not a morning person so don't enjoy getting up before work to exercise
3) Son takes a lot of time so the time he goes to bed (which isn't the best time for me to exercise) I'm wiped out.
4) Work
5) Eating Habits (I like my food so I don't think I can go on a fancy diet... However, I would like to watch how much I eat verses eating tons of low fat food)

So, what are the suggestions that you guys could offer me? I just bought a new BBQ so maybe you could offer me some healthy meals on my BBQ (Grilled Chicken Breast, grilled veggies and a side salad). Oh, and about that BBQ, I'm not going to 100% give up Red Meat or BBQ Ribs... But, I'm sure if I watch my portions, the sauces, and how often I eat them I can still eat them? I figure "in moderation" would be ok right?

Thanks.
Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: It's summer time and I'm finally ready to get back into shape.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 30, 2006 08:06AM
stop eating.

Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 30, 2006 08:16AM
This sounds almost too simple, but the only way I've ever been able to stay in shape is to eat less and exercise more. Can you walk or ride your bike to work a few days a week? How about more walks/jogs with the kid in that stroller. Yes, eating more fish and chicken and less red meat will help. Look at the labels of the food you buy, less fat and high fiber is always good.
Good luck and don't scare anyone with the new Speedo you'll be wearing in the middle of the Summer.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 30, 2006 08:19AM
Mantra for the diet side: If you don't put it on, you don't have to take it off. I'm still fighting the bulge, but what has been pretty successful is watching the quality of what goes in (more salads for lunch, light on the dressings) and eating less. Cutting out second helpings makes a huge (so to speak) difference.

As for exercise: remember that you body does not care what the source of the weight is that you use to exercise. It can be bowflex resistance, or 18 month old weight resistance. Carrying and caring for your little guy counts as exercise. Pushing a stroller around the block counts as both strenght and cardiovascular work (not particularly strenuous, but it does count). So treat your childcare as exercise; in fact make it part of your exercise routine and it will be much more sustainable!
Posted by: elmo3
Date: May 30, 2006 08:24AM
Eliminate as much animal fat as possible. Skinless chicken breast and pork tenderloin are very good. Eliminate dairy fat--that means no cheese, no sour cream, etc. Replace the animal fat with olive oil (makes a great base for marinades for the chicken breast). Skip the chocolate and potato chips. Grilled/roasted veggies are very good for you (tossed in garlic olive oil with salt and pepper, they're superb). And, of course, elminate soft drinks (even the "diet" ones; they trigger the body to crave fat).

And drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Constantly.

I dropped 30 pounds in no time that way.

Oh--I also lowered the portions and made sure I did the treadmill twice a day...

Eat less and exercise more.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: kap
Date: May 30, 2006 08:31AM
OMGosh, "those" Speedo are still around?!!

Yup, eat less excercise more is even more prevalent as one gets older too.

Another recumbent bike owner, eh? Great lower bod workout, esp. hill-climbing. for sure.

Kap

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 08:35AM by kap.
Date: May 30, 2006 08:48AM
Maybe I should get a 1 gig NANO to inspire my workout? Wouldn't want to drop that 40 gig iPod Photo would I?
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 30, 2006 09:05AM
I second the several suggestions about using your son. Stick him into one of those snazzy 3-wheeled strollers and then walk that kid around! Start with 10 min and increase it. The experts say 30 min a day; I try to do 60. I've only lost 7 pounds doing this since Jan, but I'm not huffing-and-puffing anymore and I haven't changed my diet.

Here's a link to some suggestions. You might find some of their stuff on diet useful, as well. [www.hsph.harvard.edu]
Posted by: bangman
Date: May 30, 2006 09:12AM
I can suggest two things:

1) Up your water intake.

2) Start taking Yoga classes.

I've lost a lot of weight and now I can touch my toes.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 30, 2006 09:19AM
"eat less and exercise more"

Yup, simple as that. And, yes, increase the water intake.

Save the nano as an incentive -- promise to get yourself one if you lose xx% of your current body weight.

Posted by: kap
Date: May 30, 2006 09:31AM
Having an exercise partner on a few occasions will also help.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 30, 2006 09:59AM
As others have said, use the kid. There are groups over here in the UK, usually mothers, who do a workout called power pramming. Weird to watch as 15 mums and strollers go hurtling by in the park but it seems to work for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2006 10:00AM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: May 30, 2006 11:06AM
Weigh yourself every morning and make a weight chart.

Everyday should start with the frame of mind that you are health conscious ( and weight conscious)

I made a simple graph with days across the bottom and weight on the side.

Weigh yourself first thing every morning and you will see your weight loss visually.

You can acerage 1/3 lb aday over the first few weeks and then it begins to slow down.

I have to challenge myself to "earn" my meals. Like a 300 calorie workout gets me a 500 calorie meal etc.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: May 30, 2006 11:39AM
If you really want to get in shape, get a gym membership. Someplace where they comp you a few sessions with a personal trainer and a dietician.
Date: May 30, 2006 12:05PM
And never forget: to "go on a diet" is meaningless. What you need is to change your diet. As you age, your body and its needs change. Alter what you do and how you do it as a complete lifestyle change, not a "I need to look good this summer" temporary mindset.

Fact: the 40 year old body can't as easily process the same foods and the same quantities as it did when it was 20.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Date: May 30, 2006 01:16PM
btw, round *is* a shape...

---------------

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 30, 2006 01:46PM
"Changing your diet" is definitely the operating phrase.

I say don't bother with weighing yourself, especially daily. *IF* you must, then do so weekly, but better not at all.

Take some measurments of your chest, waist, biceps, and thighs, though.

What you really want is to drop body fat, not necessarily weight. Doing any amount of regular weight/resisitance training can develope muscle tissue which weighs more than fat, but is more compact.

Constantly checking your weight can set you up for unreasonable expectations.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 30, 2006 05:31PM
Portion control.

I lost 75 lbs. between 2/95 and 12/95 and have lost another 20 lbs. since by eating normal portions and no seconds of anything but water.

My exercise routine consists of 3-6 mile walks, 2-3 x a week.

I should be exercising more, but I commute 3+ hours a day.

It's all about intake.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: May 30, 2006 08:41PM
Well, I didn't get on the bowflex tonight but I took the boy out for a 30 minute walk while my wife was out shopping.... I filled my plate at dinner and DIDN"T go for seconds even though I wanted to... Oh, and just finished my second glass of water...

YUM...

Maybe I'll try and set the alarm for 6:15 and do a 20 minute bowflex workout.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020