advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
YA FMPro question
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 30, 2006 06:29PM
I've been doing some more reading and recently subscribed to ISO Filemaker magazine and viewing Matt Petrowsky's videos. He has gone to great length to keep certain display items native FileMaker objects instead of using images. My question is, how much overhead do images in layouts create? Can't some of them (like gradients) be of small file size and resized to fit one's needs? Specifically, this would be in a network with approximately 10 users. All comments welcome. TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: YA FMPro question
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 30, 2006 06:43PM
it's merely being prepared to support the weakest link. if you have a peppy wired LAN, you should be OK w/ smallish graphic elements. one of my favorite tricks, however, is providing a local file(s) to support the graphics, so that network access is not an issue. downside is keeping the nodes current and synched, but w/ only 10 users, you should be able to control everything.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Re: YA FMPro question
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 31, 2006 07:53PM
So it is actually better to have, say, 18 boxes sized to 1px in height, each of a different color, and grouped together than to have 3k gif (or jpg)? I realize one isn't going to make a difference, but a bunch may? I'm probably wrong, but it seems like it would actually be more information the former, but more requests in the latter. But I'll just accept it as better practice.

What about a logo to be placed on most layouts? Should it just be included in a global container field?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020