advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If anyone cares, upping the RAM from 2 to 8GB on my 2010 Mini media server made not one iota of improvement in video "stutter"
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 14, 2011 07:07PM
I frequently get "stutter" on video when I start playing a movie (audio is fine) - worse if I play it in iTunes - better if I just use Quickltime player. Also see it using Plex and XBMC I thought it might be due to the 2GB RAM it came with, so I upped it to 8GB tonight. No change.

BTW someone (I think it was Doc) said it wouldn't change anything - Right!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If anyone cares, upping the RAM from 2 to 8GB on my 2010 Mini media server made not one iota of improvement in video "stutter"
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 14, 2011 07:09PM
Well that sucks!

Something doesn't sound right.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Re: If anyone cares, upping the RAM from 2 to 8GB on my 2010 Mini media server made not one iota of improvement in video "stutter"
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 14, 2011 07:23PM
Hmmm. I'm speechless.

Posted by: bwicklander
Is the bottleneck coming from the video card or shared memory?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Is that for 1080? Because I can manage 720p on an x3100/GMA 965 MacBook, without issues.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 14, 2011 07:29PM
Have you checked the system profiler to see how much of the memory is being seen? Wouldn't be the first time that bad memory was put it (and had no effect.)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 14, 2011 07:32PM
unfortunately its not terribly surprising. video needs throughput. if it wasn't ram starved, its not going to help.

codecs can make a big difference. which codec is the file you're using?

Date: February 14, 2011 07:49PM
I've tried it on 1080 and lower resolutions - doesn't seem to matter. System profiler shows 8GB of RAM. it's a late 2010 Mini. I read somewhere that 10.6.6 was causing issues so I reinstall the OS from the disks that came with it (10.6.3) - no joy. It's usually just in the beginning of the movie - doesn't seem to matter whether it's compressed or not - I see the same thing when I play a full rip. Also see the same thing playing the same video from Netflix through my TiVo (on demand or watch instantly). Playing the actual DVD in my Sony BD is smooth.

Overall, the best results seem to be playing with QT Player if it's a compressed file. I'm not streaming my files over the network, but playing from an attached RAID 5 enclosure via FW800. I've copied a movie to the internal HDD and it plays with with the same problem. Full rips are with RipIt (usually) and most of the compressed m4v files were done with Apple TV defaults in HB. I guess I'm going to forego the nice interface of Plex, XBMC etc and just use QT Player and DVD Player. It's something I suppose I can live with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 07:57PM by olnacl.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 14, 2011 07:52PM
There's something else going on... time for a SSD or 7200 rpm hybrid drive. Have you tried it w/ a fast(er) external FW800 or eSATA drive?

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: February 14, 2011 08:10PM
I also have a 2009 Mini 4GB with a 7200RPM drive. I'll swap it out and see if that makes any difference on the same movies. Unfortunately, no HDMI with audio on that and I'm using my receiver as a switcher, etc but I can run the audio separately. Will report back. I suppose I could try it with my 13" MBP unibody too… Maybe it's something with the &*%$# TV, but i've seen it playing movies on my 30" Samsung monitor too.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 14, 2011 08:27PM
If this isn't happening when viewing on the mini's own monitor connected via MiniDisplayPort---then you know none of the above is the problem.

I suspect an HDMI handshaking issue. If so, the fix is a different HDMI cable and a prayer.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2011 08:50PM
What happens when you turn EVERYTHING off - no wifi, bluetooth, itunes, etc. Make sure it's not a CPU bottleneck.
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 14, 2011 08:54PM
As I recall, there was a strong probability that the rip was bad.

Did you try ripping from a different DVD?

Did you try ripping with MTR or Handbrake instead of RipIt?
Date: February 14, 2011 09:21PM
Doc - all the above. The particular series on which I notice it most is a BBC show called Doc Martin. The credits are a time lapse combined with a pan motion. I can understand jerky images from the time lapse and expect it, but stationary objects… And later, in the film, pans are jerky - i.e. houses are jerky. Any camera motion. Could be just badly shot video but I do see the same problem in other films I've added to my library. Doc Martin grates on me especially as I've been watching several seasons of it and most episodes begin with the same credits scene. I can live with the issue. Just wanted to confirm that more RAM didn't make any difference. Maybe I'll capture a few seconds of it and post a link later.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 14, 2011 11:34PM
BTW someone (I think it was Doc) said it wouldn't change anything - Right!

The thread:
[forums.macresource.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Wailer
Date: February 15, 2011 08:13AM
I can play 480p avi rips stutter free on a 1.2ghz G4 with XBMC. I had a 1.6ghz core duo mini with 2GB of ram that handled 720p mkv rips via Plex without a problem; if I used VLC, it would stutter on 720p. I haven't tried any 1080p stuff but my 2.4ghz macbook has handled all mkv and avi video I've thrown at it.

It sounds like either bad rips or defective video chip/hardware. Do you have any other hardware to test Plex + MKVs?
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 15, 2011 06:42PM
olnacl
The credits are a time lapse combined with a pan motion. I can understand jerky images from the time lapse and expect it, but stationary objects… And later, in the film, pans are jerky - i.e. houses are jerky. Any camera motion. Could be just badly shot video...

You mentioned that you had the same problem even when playing a ripped VIDEO_TS folder in the DVD player...

Maybe a dumb question: Do the original DVDs play back with the same problem when you play them in the DVD Player app?

olnacl
Doc - all the above. The particular series on which I notice it most is a BBC show called Doc Martin.

Try ripping a U.S. (REGION 1) movie DVD and see if it has the same problem.

I've had trouble ripping BBC and A&E/BBC DVDs in the past. I don't think that the problem is copy-protection... I'm pretty sure that they simply use a very bad/cheap DVD duplicating service and there are errors in the media that can cause bad rips. Usually switching to another ripping app (with different error-handling) gets me past the problem.
Date: February 15, 2011 07:08PM
Doc - sorry - I didn't try playing the DVD in the Mac, but it played well in my Sony DVD player. I am beginning to believe it's at least partly the fault of the dVd itself. However, I do see some issues with other movies I've ripped - not all by any means. I'll have to run through some of them again and then try playing the DVD itself in the Mini to see if there's a correlation.

This post was merely to confirm what you suggested in my OP - that the problem was not inadequate RAM. (That's not to say if someone had come up with a fix, I would have ignored it!)

I have Mini #2 out at the TV and tomorrow I'll hook it up and see if the files play the same. Mini #2 is a 2009 model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020