advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
applecare and ebay
Posted by: lazydays
Date: February 14, 2011 10:24PM
It used to be you could buy applecare at deeply discounted prices on ebay. My sister-in-law is going to buy a macbook pro 13" and the apple price for applecare is $250 and the ebay price is $200. It used to be that you could buy applecare for about 1/2 price on ebay. What happened?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: applecare and ebay
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 14, 2011 10:49PM
I got $179... [www.lacomputercompany.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 14, 2011 10:53PM
lazydays
It used to be you could buy applecare at deeply discounted prices on ebay. My sister-in-law is going to buy a macbook pro 13" and the apple price for applecare is $250 and the ebay price is $200. It used to be that you could buy applecare for about 1/2 price on ebay. What happened?

Long story short, they were all scams.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 14, 2011 10:55PM
IronMac
lazydays

I had many work great for me and some friends.

I have bought from user MacMan812-and all is well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 10:57PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 14, 2011 10:56PM
Ken Sp.
IronMac
lazydays

Just a loophole Apple closed.
Date: February 14, 2011 10:59PM
Ken Sp.

I have bought from user MacMan812-and all is well

Yeah, but if you check, I don't think his prices are as low for Applecare nor does he sell as many as he used to.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 14, 2011 11:01PM
[www.bhphotovideo.com]

$174.

Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 15, 2011 12:10AM
I've bought cheap AppleCare off eBay before. Came with a box and everything. How would it be a scam? People generating fake AppleCare boxes too?
Posted by: Black
Date: February 15, 2011 01:01AM
IronMac
lazydays

Not true.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: February 15, 2011 01:06AM
lazydays

There were some threads here in which people described being told their AC was invalid when they needed a repair, even though they had registered it seemingly with no problem.
So there was something odd that happened with the gray market, although it's unclear whether it involved scammers or whether Apple just decided to choke it off because it was hurting the bottom line.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: john-o
Date: February 15, 2011 03:48PM
I would like to see someone give the true details of this change...

I've read that (as of a last fall sometime) Apple now requires both the activation code that's in the box, as well as some sort of "proof of purchase" (part number?) that's on the outside of the box. It seems to me that if the copies they were selling before were legit, they'd be able to send you the entire box for the same price they used to just send the activation code, and then just charge shipping too... (Which they mostly didn't do in the past...)

That's not what you're seeing now, so it does sort of smell like a rat to me.
Date: February 15, 2011 09:10PM
It's not a part number, it's an actual receipt from an Apple-authorized retailer or reseller.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 15, 2011 09:35PM
IronMac
It's not a part number, it's an actual receipt from an Apple-authorized retailer or reseller.

So if I buy AppleCare and then give it to someone, the second party can't use the AppleCare unless I give them a receipt from the original purchase? If I buy AppleCare from Craigslist or someone on the forum, I can't register AppleCare?
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 15, 2011 10:27PM
The scam is this: counterfeiters found a way to generate numbers that followed the Apple Care registration number algorithm. Therefore these fake numbers would work to "register" with Apple Care. The issue became apparent when bogus numbers were occasional duplicates of genuine Apple-issued numbers. When duplicate registrations were attempted, appropriate consternation ensued.

Apple apparently concluded that the best way to stop the fake number business was to ask for independent verification when claims for service under Apple Care are made. Independent verification can be either the purchase receipt from an authorized reseller, or the secondary serial number that is included with the box.

This is why it is best to request and keep the box when buying AC from someone who is not an authorized reseller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020