advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Eduficate me about RAID1 drives from OWC
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2011 06:28PM
The Guardian MAXimus series has hardware RAID-1 drive solutions, $399.99 for dual 2 TB. Quad interface.

[eshop.macsales.com]

The Mercury Elite-AL triple interface runs $519.99.

[eshop.macsales.com]

What does the latter offer me that justifies the extra pricetag except a different color? Otherwise, I'll go to the MAX.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Eduficate me about RAID1 drives from OWC
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2011 06:39PM
RAID-1 is primarily for uptime. otherwise cloning the content from one drive to another is a more reliable backup.

...neither one is likely worth the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 06:48PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 15, 2011 06:42PM
Helps you recover premium paid for black Macbook? Looks like $120 savings for most conceivable purposes...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: February 15, 2011 07:18PM
mattkime
RAID-1 is primarily for uptime. otherwise cloning the content from one drive to another is a more reliable backup.

...neither one is likely worth the money.

I'm looking for a 'plug and play' solution for an application where a process manually keeping a duplicate using two separate drives simply will not happen.

If there is a way to manually roll your own, let me know.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 15, 2011 07:41PM
sekker
I'm looking for a 'plug and play' solution for an application where a process manually keeping a duplicate using two separate drives simply will not happen.

If there is a way to manually roll your own, let me know.

Remember, RAID is not a backup. If you need to backup the files on your RAID, you should get a second RAID to backup your first RAID.

Either way, RAID or non RAID, you are backing up to separate "drives".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 07:57PM by silvarios.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2011 07:43PM
>>I'm looking for a 'plug and play' solution for an application where a process manually keeping a duplicate using two separate drives simply will not happen.

>>If there is a way to manually roll your own, let me know.

Definitely can, just need more details on the process.

Date: February 15, 2011 07:52PM
Different chipset. One has a 936DS and the other has a 934DSB. The Guardian MAXimus chipset adds an eSATA port. No idea about performance of either chipset.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 15, 2011 07:53PM
sekker

huh?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 15, 2011 08:42PM
I think he's trying to say he's too damn lazy to make backups manually and thinks RAID1 will be a good solution. It's not.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 15, 2011 09:04PM
The latter is a softraid raid 1. Kind of legacy, but we have customers that want softraid and that software is very expensive and let's you raid other drives beyond just what we deliver preconfigured with it. Softraid, for those who wish to use it, goes far beyond OS x raid and has a lot of cOol capabilities.

I personally stick to GMax and qx2 hardware plug and play myself smiling smiley

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: February 15, 2011 09:07PM
rz
I think he's trying to say he's too damn lazy to make backups manually and thinks RAID1 will be a good solution. It's not.

This is not truly a backup situation, but more of a data processing workflow. We want to make sure we keep excellent copies of the data while we are accumulating the collection; my thought was to build the redundancy into the system from the beginning. Sorry for not communicating this well.

The main cost will be the scientist's time manually annotating the data. They may have sessions that only run 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I'm not going to ask them to do a manual backup each time they are done - their time is 100x more expensive than just getting a RAID drive.

Looks like the MAX box will serve me fine. Thanks for the comments.

Edit: Thanks, too, to Larry - that explains the price difference!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 09:08PM by sekker.
Date: February 15, 2011 09:45PM
sekker
We want to make sure we keep excellent copies of the data while we are accumulating the collection; my thought was to build the redundancy into the system from the beginning.

I'm not going to ask them to do a manual backup each time they are done - their time is 100x more expensive than just getting a RAID drive.

I get it. There will be an automated backup in place, but it isn't running constantly and you don't want the user to have to initiate an automatic backup after every single access of the system. Thus, you want something a little more robust than the average single drive solution.

If I understand things correctly, then yes, RAID 1 should prove more robust than a single drive. How often does the automatic backup kick in? I would suggest at least every hour if this is serious work.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 15, 2011 10:53PM
Eduficate me

Sounds kinda kinky.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 16, 2011 06:30AM
Could be loaded with kinks. You won't know until you try it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020