advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have The Avengers series on VHS - should I buy the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 16, 2011 07:37PM
Google search hasn't been definite whether it will copy commercial tapes. On sale at Buy.com today. A waste of money if it doesn't but I would pay that much to move my few commercial tapes to Apple TV.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have The Avengers series on VHS - should I buy the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 16, 2011 07:44PM
I have a SIMA GoDVD box sitting next to me. just works
Re: I have The Avengers series on VHS - should I buy the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 16, 2011 07:47PM
Roxio says it doesn't circumvent copy protection.

Depends on the output from the VCR, too. Possible, but not likely, unless you can google around and find a trick
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 16, 2011 08:02PM
Mini 9
I have a SIMA GoDVD box sitting next to me. just works

Same here. Also have a 6-head JVC HR-S2902U HiFi VCR output to a
Plextor PX-TV402U via S-Video. I only use the GoDVD when I know a
tape has 'cp'. Either way, I get good video onto my Mac.

The Roxio is $40 after a $15 MIR, not bad if you don't mind rebates.

Date: February 16, 2011 08:04PM
I'm still googling and still can't find anyone who says it does or doesn't copy commercial tapes, although one review on Amazon "hinted" that it copied his "store bought tape" (whatever they may be).

I wonder if I could just connect my VCR to my digital camcorder and pipe the content through… No room on the desk at the moment.
Posted by: Monster
Date: February 16, 2011 08:39PM
I use a Canopus ADVC 100.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: February 16, 2011 08:43PM
Monster

Unfortunately, way more than these tapes are worth to me.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 16, 2011 10:55PM
The fact that it will not copy copy-protected tapes may not matter. Not all commercial VHS tapes were done with Macrovision or other copy protection schemes. Even if they were, it can depend on how much of the analog signal they modified by the copy protection method used. Basically, about all you can do is try and results will be in the "YMMV" category.
Posted by: Monster
Date: February 16, 2011 11:31PM
olnacl
Monster

Unfortunately, way more than these tapes are worth to me.
I understand completely, the only reason I have mine is becasue I make money using it to convert VHS, and other tapes, to digital for some of my clients.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 17, 2011 12:15AM
Some commercial tapes didn't have copy-protection on them. I don't know if you should count on that but I thought I let you know. I have a copy of the Assasination Bureau (Diane Rigg!) which I had no problem making a "back-up" dvd copy!
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 17, 2011 04:43AM
Just 9 little gigabytes away....
Date: February 17, 2011 05:00AM
Thanks, but I don't do torrents. OTOH, I'm clearing off my desk now (long overdue) and I'll see if they transfer just using my camcorder as a pass-thru.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 17, 2011 08:16AM
I agree with mini 9, just get it off bittorrent.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: February 17, 2011 10:30AM
Aren't there lots of DVD box sets available? Keep your eye on ebay and find a deal. I'm sure it will be better quality than homemade backups.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 17, 2011 10:49AM
olnacl
Thanks, but I don't do torrents. OTOH, I'm clearing off my desk now (long overdue) and I'll see if they transfer just using my camcorder as a pass-thru.

This is what I did with some of our older VHS not available on DVD type movies. Just ran cables from the VCR to the camcorder then into the mac via firewire. Works like a charm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2011 10:49AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 17, 2011 11:47AM
If you have a Netflix account, you can get The Avengers from them. Easier than doing any significant amount of work to copy the VHS tapes, and they (Netflix) will be the ones storing the stuff, not you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020