Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Confessions of an Apple Store Employee
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 17, 2011 03:48PM
[www.popularmechanics.com]

I saw this article linked from some other blog. Pretty interesting reading material.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Confessions of an Apple Store Employee
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 17, 2011 04:14PM
Thanks, that was interesting.

Posted by: Acer
Date: February 17, 2011 04:31PM
thumbs up
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 17, 2011 04:34PM
I liked this part:

The Phone Room

The worst is when we have to work the Phone Room, which is where calls to the store are answered. The other day, I felt like I was working a suicide hot line. People sometimes call us up and treat us like we're their therapists. Or we have women who want help with their computers as they try to prove their husbands are cheating on them. Usually I just transfer people to AppleCare so I don't have to deal with them.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 17, 2011 04:38PM
I worked retail while I was going to school.

You see the best of people and the worst.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 17, 2011 04:58PM
Veddy interestink.

MacArtist
I worked retail while I was going to school.

You see the best of people and the worst.

Driving a cab, the same thing, only more of the latter.

I fantasized about working in the recently-opened Apple store, since layoffs are a possibility in the not-too-distant future here where I work, but then I went paid a visit and thought, "I could never do this." Seemed like everyone working there, and many of the customers too, had drunk too much of the Kool-Aid, by the look in their eyes.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 17, 2011 05:18PM
There's nothing that puts you in that holiday mood quite like when a customer throws a hissy fit and says "Merry Christmas mutherfscker" and throws an item at you. All the while you were doing your best to try to help them and still keep your job.

About all you got at that point is the hope that a stray lightning bolt will fry this person once they step outside of the store.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 17, 2011 05:51PM
many aspects sound a lot like working for Starbucks...

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 17, 2011 07:03PM
graylocks
many aspects sound a lot like working for Starbucks...

Or just about any other retail/service business that prides themselves on great products and stellar customer service.

Say like Nordstroms, or Best Buy.

I didnt really find it all that revealing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 17, 2011 07:16PM
In general, my direct interaction with Apple Store employees has given me a bad taste in my mouth. More than not, even adjusting for Gen Y or whatever they are and their usual crappy social interaction skills, they are pretty crappy to deal with.
I hate to say that.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 17, 2011 08:53PM
Mini 9
In general, my direct interaction with Apple Store employees has given me a bad taste in my mouth. More than not, even adjusting for Gen Y or whatever they are and their usual crappy social interaction skills, they are pretty crappy to deal with.
I hate to say that.

<Rick-o smiles, nods his head up and down, and holds a sign that says I Agree>

Living out in the boonies, I've only had a chance to shop at an Apple store twice during my rare visits to the big city. Both occasions left me with a less than stellar opinion of the employees I encountered. In fact, they were downright rude and not at all helpful. I can go to Best Buy and get that kind of treatment.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 17, 2011 09:27PM
I look for employees over the age of 30 whenever possible. Even in the Apple Store, those Gen Y attitudes are pervasive.

Keep in mind, my job has me training grad students, almost all under 30.

It's not that the younger kids are all bad; it's just they can be SO bad I would not want to come back!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 17, 2011 10:34PM
I dunno if they workers are actually rude as much a combination of Gen Y-ness and just the fact that they deal with a crush of people, who are on average idiots. An Apple Store isn't a computer or Phone or iPod store, it's a place to be seen, by younger folks, and by the Majority of Boomers and X'ers who buried Apple until about 2005! Reference my ealier request for an "Expert Button" so the staff won't talk down to me.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: BobC
Date: February 17, 2011 11:03PM
There was a tweet last year sometime that was retweeted by John Gruber of DaringFireball.net, that said something like:

"I like wearing my DF t-shirt to the Genius Bar. It's like playing on difficult instead of easy."

I don't think the author or JG were being cocky, just descriptive. You could probably achieve the same effect with a BBEdit or eWorld t-shirt, although the latter would probably get blank stares from the younger staff.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 18, 2011 05:11AM
Most of the employees I encountered at Lenox Mall were delightful.
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 18, 2011 11:31AM
I haven't been to an Apple Store in over five years but I had very good experiences at the University Village store in Seattle when I lived there.

Posted by: dwayne_bradley
Date: February 18, 2011 01:43PM
Every time that I have had to go into the Apple Store in Charlotte, they have been wonderful. Everyone was always super friendly, nice and most of all helpful when I've had to go there. I haven't been in a little while though (1+ years) so it might have changed since then and I just don't know.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 18, 2011 01:59PM
MacArtist
There's nothing that puts you in that holiday mood quite like when a customer throws a hissy fit and says "Merry Christmas mutherfscker" and throws an item at you.

My sister used to work in a bookstore. One time a woman hit her in the face with a Week-At-A-Glance because my sister informed her the following year's edition wasn't available that early in the current year.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 19, 2011 09:24AM
I dunno if they workers are actually rude as much a combination of Gen Y-ness and just the fact that they deal with a crush of people, who are on average idiots. An Apple Store isn't a computer or Phone or iPod store, it's a place to be seen, by younger folks, and by the Majority of Boomers and X'ers who buried Apple until about 2005!

Agreed!

I've never had a bad experience with the staff of the many stores I've been to, many times.

I've had two less that stellar experiences, one with a guy (40-something, hired for the Christmas rush who was clearly unfamiliar with some of the products) and a another with a Genuis Guy who thought he was one. It's not a case of who was smarter, but that he thought he knew what I was going to say every time, and was wrong for most of it.

And the first guy was polite, even in the face of his inexperience.

So nothing *bad*, and a whole lot of good.

The article was one person's "story" about one store. Like jdc said, this could pretty much have been "just about any other retail/service business that prides themselves on great products and stellar customer service".

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020