LA Times: Another bite by Apple
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 19, 2011 08:43AM
[lat.ms]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LA Times: Another bite by Apple
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 19, 2011 09:38AM
Interesting. Apple's original iTunes model was that the music was not a profit maker, just a service to increase the value of the gadget. They only charged enough to cover expenses. Now they've decided there's gold in those hills, too.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 19, 2011 10:04AM
[forums.macresource.com]

The editorial was written by a moran, who cheerfully lumped what streaming services do with what publishers are, thereby assuming they'd equally be impacted by the 30%.

No surprise the streaming services are upset. They got caught in a business model that assumed they'd never have to pay anyone to help them get subscribers. Publishers know differently, and that promotion and execution have cost.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2011 04:41PM
If they raise my Netflix subscription 30% this summer, I'm going to send Jobs my ATVs. And get an Android device instead.

Sorry, but it does not cost Apple anything once I have the app loaded.

Go defend Apple elsewhere. This is a predatory pricing strategy that makes the consumer pay Apple for everything we use on these iOS devices.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 19, 2011 07:44PM
as far as I understand it, you pay your NETFLIX subscription directly at the netflix.com, not via the netflix app, and I think Apple cannot charge a commission in this case. They only want 30% if you were to purchase the subscription via the netflix app, which is not the case.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 19, 2011 09:09PM
sekker, Apple never said the agreement and fee is because there's some cost they're trying to recover.

So you could go one of two ways from here. 1) Assume the fee is for doing nothing 2) Assume the fee is for doing something. What differentiates the two views is knowledge of the factors involved.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2011 11:16PM
space-time
as far as I understand it, you pay your NETFLIX subscription directly at the netflix.com, not via the netflix app, and I think Apple cannot charge a commission in this case. They only want 30% if you were to purchase the subscription via the netflix app, which is not the case.

That changes this summer. Apple's NEW rules state that Netflix will require the option to pay via the app. And that the app company cannot offer a discount if you pay outside the app.

For the uneducated, it's often easier to pay from within the app.

Please read the details of the new license agreements. Apple is not the good guy here.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 20, 2011 01:59AM
sekker
Apple is not the good guy here.

Nonsense.

[counternotions.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 20, 2011 03:05AM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 20, 2011 05:32AM
Go defend Apple elsewhere

Grow up.

I own the mall. Its one of the finest, most trafficked Malls anywhere. You want to set up your little kiosk in it and sell your Crocs, sunglasses, or whatever, you will pay for the privilege.

You don't have to sell *here*' yet here you are. Feel free to open your own mall. But you are not going to advertise your gear in my Mall for free and sell your goodies in the parking lot. Try that and you can move your cart to Billy-Bob's Body Piercing Bait and Tackle Shack.

Real estate or virtual estate costs money. If you want some, you rent or buy, but pay you will.

For the uneducated, that's the cost of doing business.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020