Date: February 24, 2011 03:58PM
Or, at least, that's what this says to me:

Intel details Thunderbolt as exclusive to Apple until 2012
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No affordable Thunderbolt peripherals until after 2012
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 24, 2011 04:04PM
Not "after 2012", "until 2012".

Crap policy, however. How about a little bit of market penetration first, eh??? Just how does having a dearth of demand for TB help Apple?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2011 04:04PM
some good technical info in that article.

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 24, 2011 04:49PM
They better make it early 2012. We know what happens at the end of 2012.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 24, 2011 05:16PM
So, what's the schedule for OWC Thunderbolt peripherals?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 24, 2011 05:17PM
Hey OWC Larry, when are you going to have some products? ;)

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 24, 2011 05:42PM
I don't see until 2012 mentioned anywhere in the article. I did see:

"At a press conference earlier this morning, Intel offered additional information about its new Thunderbolt interconnect technology being pioneered by Apple in its latest batch of MacBook Pros, noting Apple will have a year long head start in deploying the technology. "

So, Apple has a head start because of their involvement in the development of the technology. The article goes on to say that Lightpeak (Thunderbolt) has to be built into the motherboard and not via expansion card. This means that other manufacturer's would have to design and manufacture new motherboards and write drivers to support it.

Also from the article:

"The new port is already being supported by disk makers Promise and LaCie, with a voice of support from Western Digital (although not any products yet). Among media device makers, Aja, Apogee, Avid, Blackmagic, and Universal Audio have all announced support as well.

LaCie demonstrated a "Little Big Disk" RAID device built using two Intel SSD drive configured into a RAID 0 stripe set. The drive (or multiple units) is capable of being powered by the Thunderbolt bus as well, reducing the need for additional power bricks. LaCie hasn't yet released a price or availability date for the new drive."

So, it looks like third parties are already prepared to bring Lightpeak (Thunderbolt) peripherals to market in the near future. So, we aren't limited to just Apple branded products.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 24, 2011 05:56PM
"PC makers are expected to begin adding Thunderbolt to their machines next spring"
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 24, 2011 06:43PM
I'm sure our host will have something shortly. smiling smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 24, 2011 07:03PM
That's ok, I won't have the extra cash for a new machine until next year anyway!
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 24, 2011 07:39PM
Apple and Intel haven't exactly signed an exclusivity contract for Thunderbolt. It just means that the other motherboard / systems manufacturers have to get their Thunderbolt acts in gear if they want it on their systems. Apple has a head start by nature of working with Intel on the technology.

I do worry now that Thunderbolt will end up being a niche technology like Firewire is/was. USB3, as underwhelming as it is IMO, will gain a big foothold in the market before Thunderbolt makes its appearance on the Windows side of things. Not that Thunderbolt has to be the dominant external expansion bus to be a viable technology, but I do hope it can end up being more widespread than Firewire.

Really bummed however about the news that there will be no Thunderbolt PCIe cards for existing Mac Pros. Apple's going to have to rev the rest of their computer lines in rapid succession to help drive adoption. I could definitely put some Mac mini Servers with Thunderbolt connectors and some of those Promise 6-drive RAIDs to use, fast.
Date: February 24, 2011 08:01PM
I think with Intel also being in the motherboard manufacturing business, you'll see Thunderbolt connections on homebrew PC's faster than commercial PC's. That can be a good thing, as it may spur adoption of the technology. The question is, will accessory manufacturers take to Thunderbolt? That is where the adoption of a technology usually fails. Also, will licensing the Thunderbolt technology be more expensive than licensing USB 3? If so, then I don't think that Thunderbolt will catch on outside of video/broadcast industry.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: February 24, 2011 09:01PM
Sam3
Also, will licensing the Thunderbolt technology be more expensive than licensing USB 3? If so, then I don't think that Thunderbolt will catch on outside of video/broadcast industry.

Apple waived the licensing fees on the port spec. 'Not sure what Intel's IP and the trademark will add to it, but folks coming out of Intel's previews have said that it's cheap and easy to implement.
Date: February 24, 2011 10:21PM
Chakravartin
Sam3
Also, will licensing the Thunderbolt technology be more expensive than licensing USB 3? If so, then I don't think that Thunderbolt will catch on outside of video/broadcast industry.

Apple waived the licensing fees on the port spec. 'Not sure what Intel's IP and the trademark will add to it, but folks coming out of Intel's previews have said that it's cheap and easy to implement.

Then let the battle begin!

Seagate could be one of the early users, now that their drives use a docking adapter, Seagate could start manufacturing a new ThunderBolt dock.

I wonder how soon before our host has drive enclosures and other peripherals available.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 24, 2011 10:39PM
Wait, Thunderbolt is not backwards compatible with USB 3.0? That's what I read in the link supplied by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020