advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hackintosh era is over. Getting a quad-core MBP as primary CPU
Posted by: john dough
Date: February 25, 2011 04:16PM
First of all, I have to stress that the computer I put together (3.2 6-core i7, 24GB RAM, 1GB video card, 3 x DVD burner) is incredibly fast, but it is also (since it is not a "real" mac) too unstable for what I need in a primary computer. I equate it to having a powerful car and having all of the governors not only taken off, but tweaked and then put back on, telling the engine to work even harder.

Over the last week, I have had it crash multiple times (using iPhoto, Parallels, Word, Toast) and have come to the conclusion that I cannot count on this machine 100% of the time. I need that in a primary computer so I am getting it ready to sell to a client (as a Windows 7 workstation).

Now, onto the machine I AM getting. 4-core 2.2 high-res 15" MBP, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM. I was debating on getting the 750GB but the 500GB is plenty, and having more speed right off the bat is better for me. Wife is getting my MBA and I am selling 2 monitors in the process (30" and 24" Dells).

Will lose some of the power that I was using and will have to find a solution to hold the 3 2TB drives currently in computer (should not be too tough to figure out) but I gain freedom to disconnect and travel with my main computer.

Busy day today!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hackintosh era is over. Getting a quad-core MBP as primary CPU
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 25, 2011 04:18PM
Congrats on the new MBP.

My quad-core Hack has been rock solid for 2.5 years now. I am getting ready to build another in the next six months. I have a current-gen Mac Pro at work, which is much fast, obviously.

Did you use a "standard build?" What do you think caused your instability? Overclocking?
Date: February 25, 2011 04:20PM
No overclocking and yes, a standard build. Maybe it was not meant to be, as many have had good luck, but even a little instability is bad. Over the course of time, I cannot run the risk of crashing while I am supporting clients; the cost savings go out the window if I cannot work.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 25, 2011 04:46PM
Sorry to hear it's been unstable. Mine has been just as stable as any Mac I've ever owned, and more stable than some of those.

I wouldn't really consider your build a "standard build." Apple, AFAIK, isn't using the 1366 socket in anything. Also, from what I've read the Apple Fermi driver only works with 470 and 480 cards, not the 460.

Did you install a custom DSDT for your motherboard?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 25, 2011 04:50PM
Those i7-970s (6 core) should clock out, with a top end air cooler, at 4.5GHz.

Is temp your stability problem?

Still - I see your point. The 15" quad comes in at 10000 on GeekBench, and is more powerful
than 4 core Xeons in use of certain MacPros - so for $2300 (maybe less) - it's a high end work
station in a laptop.

I would love to see you clock that thing out higher and run GeekBench on it before you change it over.
If stability is heat related, perhaps you just need a better application of artic silver and a top end
air cooler??
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 25, 2011 04:55PM
[www.9to5mac.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Spock
Date: February 25, 2011 05:09PM
Sounds as though you've got something out of whack as I've had a four core i7 920 (2.66 GHz) overclocked to 4GHz with air cooling, running 24/7 for nearly a year and it has been rock solid.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: February 25, 2011 05:21PM
I am not sure what the issue is and I have been vacillating on going to a MBP as my main machine anyway. I will be using this system until my MBP arrives (was told that it will be here next week) and then am tearing the desktop down.

I did get a custom build from TonyMac and was told that should be optimal for my build. I read to get the 460 card, and although it has been stable all day, I am holding my breath with this machine; I have not done that on a primary machine in 10+ years.

Regardless, I am solving several issues with this:

1) I am getting a VERY fast MBP
2) Wife is getting a good upgrade (MBA) over her 3+ year old Dell mini (which she is liking less and less)
3) I am gaining more room underneath my desk, as well as a quieter cpu (the desktops, by their nature, are louder than laptops)
4) I am selling this hardware around what I paid for it, so I gained some knowledge for myself and others

I guess it is possible to save this build but this is becoming less important for my main computer to be stable. I really cannot afford downtime and not sure how future updates, which I will use, will affect a hackintosh (I am sure they will be figured out eventually, I just cannot wait for patches).

Not sure what is not behaving right, but now I am more looking forward to a fast laptop more so than a faster desktop.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 05:28PM by john dough.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 25, 2011 05:23PM
Rex has three of the 920s running at 4.21GHz, folding 24/7.

He broke them down for cleaning and reapplication of the thermal compound after about 6 months
or so, to make sure the compound wasn't self-destructing at the 70C temperatures 24/7 while folding.

He's going to change them all to i7-970s (6 core) and run them at 4.5GHz.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 25, 2011 05:59PM
2nd the congrats on the new MBP!

My old fauxMacPro Q9550 is still rock solid. Had more problems with the MacMini C2D
before, although it's now a well behaved HTPC wink smiley

Now, please surrender your pirate smiley club membership before exiting the room!

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 25, 2011 06:37PM
Running 2 - C2Q Hacks in the house. Absolutely rock solid. They are the reason I would go to an i7 build. They are that stable. They've been as stable as my Mac Pro 1,1.

Something is not right with that build. The problem is now with having trouble with the Hack; you're not sure you can trust it. I understand that.

I could not give up that easy. It becomes a battle that I just couldn't lose. I would have to give it everything I've got before I would turnaround and sell it. I would probably try other graphics cards/logic boards. Whatever I could to get it running stable.

But that's me. If you've got to use it daily to make money and you've got to have absolute trust in it; then maybe the Hack isn't the right machine for you.

But me? My next Mac is going to be Hackintosh.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 25, 2011 07:22PM
Have you tried running Disk Warrior on it, and then reapplying whatever Hackintosh pixie dust Disk Warrior takes away.

I did that on my Hackintosh, and it made a huge difference in stability, etc.
Date: February 25, 2011 07:37PM
Even if it runs right for the next month, I cannot risk it. Since I started this thread, I went to run some errands and when I came back, the computer was frozen banghead smiley

About a month ago with my 3 year old MacPro (since sold), I saw that it was up for almost a month without restarting. I am really gun shy to roll up a different build. One client calls me 2-3 times a week and if I don't get back to him relatively promptly, he calls a competitor of mine (those sessions are worth good money to me).

Besides, I am going to CA then WA on business trips where the billings I will do will pay for the MBP, and then some.

The MBP is on the way (as of this evening) and I will have a new portable workstation. big grin smiley

As far as machines and troubleshooting, I made up my mind a long time ago to cut losses as soon as possible. I do not have another video card or logic board to throw at this computer, and even if I did, this is as good as sold to a client (I am giving him a good deal). The time I am NOT spending on diving in to this box, I am going out with my wife and working on an issue for one of my clients.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 07:43PM by john dough.
Date: February 25, 2011 07:42PM
Do you have it set to sleep after a period of time?

Date: February 25, 2011 07:45PM
Nope, no sleep at all. That is another issue that I don't care for. There may be a fix later on, but I like a quiet, cooler office and computers running at full power all day is not what I want, especially when warmer months are coming.

The good thing about all of this is that I am only dealing with one computer and my wife gets a nice upgrade as well (she already LOVES the speed bump from the Netbook she uses).
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 25, 2011 08:14PM
Makes sense to me.

Those quad core MBPs sure look nice. I'm personally going to wait for the SSD versions before I update from this home-modified MBP - looks like I will have to wait for Lion and the corresponding TRIM support.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 25, 2011 08:25PM
Sounds like you're making the right decision.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 25, 2011 08:44PM
After yesterday's announcement for the new MBP I felt no desire at all to upgrade from my current 15" i7 MBP. After reading today's news about the quad-core i7's benchmarks... well, it's a completely different story now. Double the GeekScore? Holy Shazam!

It is what it is.
Date: February 25, 2011 09:54PM
john dough
Nope, no sleep at all. That is another issue that I don't care for. There may be a fix later on, but I like a quiet, cooler office and computers running at full power all day is not what I want, especially when warmer months are coming.

Knowing ahead of time that a config supports sleep is a key in determining just how well the components will work.

Keep in mind, unless you overclock, the CPU will down clock when the speed isn't needed. That will save quite a bit of energy right there. And depending on the type of sleep that's taking place, it might even be comparative to sleep.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 25, 2011 10:42PM
Make sure it is stable in Windows--I suspect it will not be--before your client inherits your troubles. comp smiley

Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 26, 2011 07:33AM
When you get your MBP, send me the hackintosh, I'd love to tinker with it. winking smiley

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: February 26, 2011 08:24AM
First off, I did read that some boards were finicky with sleep issues, but the one that I bought was not one -- this was not the case, it never slept. I did do my homework and I did not get the results I read I would receive.

I know about overclocking (have an overclocked PC running just 10 feet behind me right now) but having a Mac/PC sleep is NOT the same as having it idle. In my office, I have a large window that lets in a good amount of light and in the Summer months, this room is warm on its own by 10 a.m. Lessening heat output from computers is ideal and sleeping computers, especially my old MP, let off far less heat than idling computers. Sleep was the goal and I could not get it to work.

Stability in Windows and stability on a machine not originally designed for this OS (it is a hack, after all) have nothing to do with each other. I have been building PCs for more than 12 years and hacks/tricks are where the problems lie, not in the designed purpose. I ran a test on the hardware (Windows-based test) and everything passed as it should

I suspect it will work perfectly and be VERY fast.

The bottom line was that I bought something that did not work as I needed it to. Period.

A former boss used to say, "Linux is free, but what is your time worth?" He said that people will save $100 by not paying for Windows and spend many hours of their own time researching/updating/patching/researching/updating/patching these boxes just to save this cost. This is not my path.

There are many people out there that would think I am "giving up" on this, but even if I can get the current issues resolved, I am not optimistic that Apple will continue to let these boxes work, unabated, in the future. Right now it is a hobby and probably does not affect Apple's bottom line that much (believe me, if it did, they would close this procedure down) yet I cannot afford this to go down at some point.

I am selling it and moving on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 09:08AM by john dough.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 26, 2011 08:56AM
sekker
Makes sense to me.

Those quad core MBPs sure look nice. I'm personally going to wait for the SSD versions before I update from this home-modified MBP - looks like I will have to wait for Lion and the corresponding TRIM support.

You could always put in your own SSD. OWCs and OCZs are a lot faster than what apple is using.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jawg
Date: February 26, 2011 09:45AM
I understand your position and that you are making the right decision for you.
I'm sorry your Hackintosh did not work out for you.
That said, I love my Hackintosh (Quad Core i5-760) that I use as a hobby.
It is allowing me to do things in a fraction of the time that my two older iMacs required for the same jobs.
The "Hackintosh Era" may be over for you, but these builds remain a great hobby for many others.
The new MBP specs are impressive, Quad Core i7 in a Mac notebook sounds amazing. Enjoy!

Date: February 26, 2011 12:02PM
Having built PCs for so long, then you probably know there's different types of sleep on a PC. Depending on the hardware config, some will use the same if not more power than a machine sitting idle.

But anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to go back. As far as AllGold's suggestion, it was a good one. There sure as heck is a correlation between stability in OS's. If any of the hardware is bad, it'll probably act up in every OS. So if it wasn't stable in Windows either, that might be an indicator. But you said you stress tested it so that's not the issue here. I know many run Prime95 on each core for at least 24hrs when they're uncertain about the hardware.

As far as that board goes, there's two revisions. Which one did you get? Are you sure that's the same one people got sleep working for? I see the rev1.0 doesn't have a current DSDT for it. I don't bring this up to try and get you to fix your machine, but to help others that may be looking at building a hackintosh.

On a side note, I don't think Apple is going to squash hackintoshes anytime soon. If I get stuck at 10.6.5 forever, that'd be fine with me. Really those building hackintoshes are market Apple doesn't market to. As long as someone isn't doing it commercially, Apple isn't really loosing anything. Plus if you follow the hackintosh scene much, you'll find a ton of hardcore PC users who hated Macs before but now like OS X. Some even go so far as buying a real Mac for their significant other when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020