advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thinking about a highspeed sheet scanner to digitize my bills and clutter
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 02, 2011 09:10PM
Anybody done this? I've got about 10 years worth of bank and credit card statement that need to leave my life and my office. The Neat product, designed for the purpose, seems expensive at $399.

Any other suggestions for a price effective scanner that blazes through a bunch of sheets quickly?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thinking about a highspeed sheet scanner to digitize my bills and clutter
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 02, 2011 09:14PM
they're expensive because the market is rather small and the paper feed is very very good.

Posted by: space-time
Date: March 02, 2011 09:19PM
Fujitsu SnapScan (or is is ScanSnap?) is very well regarded here
Posted by: StingMe
Date: March 02, 2011 09:35PM
ScanSnap: [www.fujitsu.com]

Also about $400 due to the reasons stated above grinning smiley
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 02, 2011 09:42PM
Does Neat do a better job of keeping drivers updated for new versions of OS X? I read some reviews that indicated Fujitsu could be slow with those.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 02, 2011 09:44PM
I took a different path. If you want a high speed scanner, the Fujitsu is the (pricey) way to go. However, I looked at my different banks and credit cards and they all had available online pdf versions of my statements going back usually at least 5 years. Since they've already done the scanning there was no need for me to do it. For some of the banks you need to sign up for online statements to get access to the archival stuff. Definitely worth it. The same with utility bills and a bunch of other bills...all available online. I made a listing of what stuff I could discard, what stuff I didn't really need, and what stuff I wanted to scan. The "to scan" pile was much smaller than what I originally envisioned.

I then bought an on sale Canon MX870 combo printer/scanner/copier/fax for $120 and have been using that to scan what's left straight to pdf. I'm sure it's not as fast as the Fujitsu but it has a 30 page automatic document feeder and it's fast enough for me. It even does automatic duplex scanning (only for 8.5x11 originals).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 09:45PM by davester.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 02, 2011 09:48PM
I just scanned 178 pages with an Epson Workforce 615 yesterday and saved them as one big pdf, took
about 45 minutes. I was actually quite pleased with the quality and speed. Only problem is the feeder
only holds 30 sheets, if you drop the next stack in at exactly the right time it will just keep on scanning
otherwise it will ask you what you to do and you have to click on "add page" and it just keeps adding to
the file until you click on save file. I did a test with 20 sheets at first because nothing was showing up in
the designated folder until I clicked save.

Grateful11
Posted by: lazydays
Date: March 03, 2011 12:31AM
I only keep a single year of statements which makes for a fairly small file cabinet. Is there a reason to keep 10 years worth?

I have a fairly inexpensive hp scanner/printer that has a sheet feeder. It can scan to a memory card. So when I do need to scan things I do it that way.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: March 03, 2011 12:31AM
stephen
I've got about 10 years worth of bank and credit card statement that need to leave my life and my office.

Why do you need them at all?
Posted by: trisho.
Date: March 03, 2011 02:55AM
If he's self-employed like me then I can understand. Everyone needs to keep records for 7 years in case of an audit. I think for stocks / investment sales, it's 10 years (self-employed or not). The problem is, we have more papers per year to keep to prove all of our itemized deductions.

I'm in the process of digitizing also and have the Fujitsu. Love it.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 03, 2011 04:04AM
I do the same as davester.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 03, 2011 06:29AM
You guys are all so organized! I've got cabinets and boxes and desks crammed full of old papers. It all needs to be WFF'd (Weed, File, or Fling!). But it will take a couple of months, and I never have the time.

I need a secretary. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 06:31AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 03, 2011 06:33AM
Buy the Fujitsu, unless you have a lot of extra time.

Use it to catch up on the backlog.

Sell it on ebay.

Then going forward, download the info from bank/credit card companies.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 03, 2011 06:34AM
I thin this is one of those "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." situations.

I'd first try the online effort. See how far back you can go. Save them by printing to pdf in prepared labeled folders. Put all of those bills in a separate stack.

Now start "eating the elephant." Organize your paper by source, then date within source. Most scanners will allow you to put many pdfs in one folder. You can get 12 months of one utility bill on a single saved pdf file If you just set up a system.

I did not by a new scanner just to scan rapidly the docs I want for a 10 year period. I just allotted time over a week or so to scan the pile. When I finally got the job finished, I had many bags of shredded paper, the originals scanned on a separate drive and a backup of same.

Think about the process and organize the job. When finished, you will appreciate the value of scanning the bills as they arrive and are paid.

As a senior, I get free online bill payment. I've set up my purchasing habits so as to minimize check-writing and bill scanning. I pay as much as possible with either of 2 credit cards. At the end of the month I transfer funds to pay off one, and have set up auto-pay for as much of the other as possible. Those bills not on auto-pay are paid online from the credit union account. Bottom line, I write about 5 checks a year, including sales taxes for my business and income taxes.

It can be done with a bit of thought.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 03, 2011 06:59AM
A friend has the fuji snapscan and is very happy with it.
I've found recently that image capture has improved enough that it's pretty fast off
the ADF of my Canon MFP. I'm gonna give it a shot for the pile up.
Posted by: dmann
Date: March 03, 2011 07:47AM
Once you rid yourself of all that paper- do yourself a favor and go to a community shredding event or a commercial shredder to finish the job.

A few months ago I took 3 very large garbage bags full of paper to be shredded. I was thrilled to have one of those giant machines do the work. Best $18 I have spent in a very long time ($.50/lb. with a 10 lb. minimum.) I can't imagine how long it would have taken me with my little personal shredder.

DM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 07:49AM by dmann.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: March 03, 2011 11:49AM
trisho.
If he's self-employed like me then I can understand. Everyone needs to keep records for 7 years in case of an audit. I think for stocks / investment sales, it's 10 years (self-employed or not). The problem is, we have more papers per year to keep to prove all of our itemized deductions.

So, you're keeping bank and credit card statements to prove the actual payments, I guess. Maybe I'll get screwed in an audit, but I just save the receipts. And yeah, I was thinking 7 yrs not 10 (which would account for 30% of stephen's problem!). 7 years of my tax docs are less than 1/2 of a 29" deep file drawer so its not too bad for me anyway.
Posted by: laarree
Date: March 03, 2011 02:08PM
stephen
Does Neat do a better job of keeping drivers updated for new versions of OS X? I read some reviews that indicated Fujitsu could be slow with those.

I've been using my Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M quite happily for the last couple of years, originally with Leopard and now with Snow Leopard 10.6.6--no driver software update lags or incompatibilities. They had their Snow Leopard update ready way before I updated to Snow Leopard.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020