advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bad wireless range on an old iBook G3
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: March 03, 2011 06:35PM
Basically, the wireless connects fine if it's in the same location as the router, but as soon as I take the ol' iBook upstairs or even in another part of the basement, the signal strength either decreases rapidly or cuts out entirely. I'm wondering if this is normal for these iBooks ... or .... perhaps the Airport card is bad?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bad wireless range on an old iBook G3
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 03, 2011 06:39PM
Not normal, from my limited experience. My G3 iBook is in the detached garage 20 ft from the house. Our router is in the basement. No trouble, though not exactly blazing fast.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 03, 2011 06:42PM
Basement?

As in a place where you have plumbing, heating and cooling ducts and wiring for the whole house going through the walls?

Basements are not generally WiFi-friendly.

It's possible that your Airport antenna plug is a little loose inside the iBook, but it's more likely that you just have the router in a poor location.
Date: March 03, 2011 07:06PM
No, it's not the router positioning. I have 2 other Macs in the house & they both connect just fine all over the house. Should I replace the Airport card?
Posted by: Black
Date: March 03, 2011 07:38PM
Tommie Milwaukee
No, it's not the router positioning. I have 2 other Macs in the house & they both connect just fine all over the house. Should I replace the Airport card?

Tommie, if I recall correctly the Airport card on that model has to be removed to place/swap RAM. It's very common to forget to hook the antenna up when done, and/or get it kinked when closing things up.
It's easy as pie to remove the keyboard and take a look.

The Airport cards in those models worked wonderfully and the behavior you're describing is not normal.
Date: March 03, 2011 07:46PM
Ok, here's the latest. When I disconnect the antenna wire from the Airport card, there is NO difference in the wireless range, which leads me to believe that the antenna wire is crimped somewhere, although nowhere that I can easily see when the keyboard is removed. I guess I'll have to take this puppy apart for inspection. Damn!
Date: March 03, 2011 08:02PM
Wow, I had no idea that thing runs all the way into the top case and that there's such a thing as an "antenna board."
[www.ifixit.com]

Any chance the top case (above the display by the looks of things) saw some abuse?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 03, 2011 08:39PM
Are you sure that when you replace the antenna plug in the card you're pushing hard enough to seat it properly?
Date: March 03, 2011 08:53PM
Bingo!! I removed the top case & foil, followed the antenna wire back to the display & found that it may have been crimped at the display. I booted back up before re-assembling ... WITH the airport card plugged in, & I'm getting a full signal!. Now the trick will be to carefully re-assemble without re-crimping the wire. Be back in a while.
Date: March 03, 2011 08:56PM
Hooray! Loved my Microcenter iBook.
Date: March 03, 2011 09:49PM
Success! Feels better than winning the Super Bowl when you troubleshoot AND repair a computer problem.
Posted by: john-o
Date: March 05, 2011 02:36PM
Man, I'll bet that was a lengthy process! From my experience, those iBooks are the absolute worst to take apart! Good work!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020