advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boy do I feel like an idiot. I didn't know you had to quit an App !
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 11, 2011 01:07PM
My son looks at my iPhone and says why do you have all these
Apps running in the background? I'm like what do you mean, he
says they don't quit themselves, you have to pull up the Dock and
hold the App button in the Dock and quit them, Duh. I had no idea
you were suppose to do that, maybe I need a iPhone for Dummies
book. It took him about 5 or 10 minutes to quit everything, no wonder
it was getting a little sluggish.

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boy do I feel like an idiot. I didn't know you had to quit an App !
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 11, 2011 01:10PM
That's news to me as well. Don't have an iPhone, but have an iPad. Looking forward to quitting everything this evening and see how it affects performance. Thanks for the inadvertent tip!

By the way, I'm loathing the day when my kids start giving me tech advice.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 11, 2011 01:10PM
You have to do that on the iPad, too, at least after the latest update.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2011 01:18PM
BS.

You do *not* have to quit apps like that.

If you really think your pad/phone are running slow, that wont help, its something else.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 11, 2011 01:20PM
It's in the User Manual. And yes, jdc, that will help. If you have 50 apps running in the background, apps will load much slower. They will also affect battery life.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: March 11, 2011 01:23PM
Most of those are just "suspended" or recently used apps. They are not really "running". You don't have to quit them.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 11, 2011 01:24PM
It may be quicker to just power off the iPhone and reboot it than to try quitting 50 apps.
Date: March 11, 2011 01:30PM
yes, I know thats how you kill an app -- but in my experience it doesnt matter. (kinda like repairing permissions)

Someone better let my iPhone know then.

I counted -- 104 apps "open".

Runs perfectly, no slowdowns, no delays, no nothing.

And I did the 4.3 update yesterday -- so all of those apps stayed in the "open" state after the update.

Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 11, 2011 01:31PM
One problem I run into all the time is, for example, when I am going through the list of top free apps in the Apps app. You know how it loads 10 at a time and then you have to hit "show more" and it loads another 10 apps and again and again until you reach 100 apps or so. Now, let's say I want to actually install free app #62. I hit install, enter my password and then it goes to the launch screen where it shows the app loading and installing, etc. If I then go back to the "top free apps" section, it starts at app #1 and I have to go through the whole "show more" routine to get back up to wherever I had left off.

That's a total pain in the butt. Is that behavior normal or does it have to do with low memory or something like that? As mentioned above, I've never "quit" apps before so I'm sure my dock at the bottom must have tons of apps "running."
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 11, 2011 01:31PM
rz
It's in the User Manual. And yes, jdc, that will help. If you have 50 apps running in the background, apps will load much slower. They will also affect battery life.

Unless you have the iPhone 4 or the iPad 2, there is no way you have 50 apps running. Heck, even with 512MB RAM, there is still a good chance those apps aren't running.

Kramerica has the correct info. Yes, it can help to quit apps you don't need running, but start with the apps on the left and work your way right, those other apps are probably just recently used apps.

Yes, Apple's task switcher is utterly stupid. Why are apps that are running and apps that were recently launched stored in the same place with no real way to differentiate the two?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 01:34PM by silvarios.
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 11, 2011 01:44PM
Grateful11: With the method you explained that is not quitting apps. When you pull app the app switcher and hold down on one until you see the - sign and you click it you are just removing that app from your list of most recently used applications. A side effect of doing this however also means that if the app is running in the background it will be quit and no longer be running in the background. So don't feel like an idiot!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2011 02:07PM
....this post seems very 'APP'ropos....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: March 11, 2011 02:18PM
pinion
Grateful11: With the method you explained that is not quitting apps. When you pull app the app switcher and hold down on one until you see the - sign and you click it you are just removing that app from your list of most recently used applications. A side effect of doing this however also means that if the app is running in the background it will be quit and no longer be running in the background. So don't feel like an idiot!

yeah, I just double clicked the button and see apps that I haven't launched in months - no way have I launched them since last restart

so... there is no way to shut down apps?
Date: March 11, 2011 02:23PM
hal
so... there is no way to shut down apps?

If you haven't launched them since the last restart, they shouldn't be running. You don't need to quite apps that aren't actually doing anything. You can manually remove them from the task switcher as explained (is there not a clear my task switcher option hidden away somewhere?) which will quit any running apps, or you can turn the iOS device on and off. That's my understanding anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 02:59PM by silvarios.
Date: March 11, 2011 02:27PM
Is there a way to shut down a running app w/o restarting?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 11, 2011 02:34PM
pinkoos
One problem I run into all the time is, for example, when I am going through the list of top free apps in the Apps app. You know how it loads 10 at a time and then you have to hit "show more" and it loads another 10 apps and again and again until you reach 100 apps or so. Now, let's say I want to actually install free app #62. I hit install, enter my password and then it goes to the launch screen where it shows the app loading and installing, etc. If I then go back to the "top free apps" section, it starts at app #1 and I have to go through the whole "show more" routine to get back up to wherever I had left off.

That's a total pain in the butt. Is that behavior normal or does it have to do with low memory or something like that? As mentioned above, I've never "quit" apps before so I'm sure my dock at the bottom must have tons of apps "running."

Yes! I have this problem, too and it's driving me crazy.
Date: March 11, 2011 02:41PM
hal

Manually close them from the task switcher as mentioned in the original post?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 03:00PM by silvarios.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: March 11, 2011 02:47PM
Jailbreak > SBSettings > Kill Processes.

I often find Mail, Safari, & iPod running on my iPod touch when they don't need to be.

I agree with pinkoos that the navigation in the App Store leaves lots to be desired, especially when dealing with a long list of apps.

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 11, 2011 02:58PM
When switching to a new app under iOS 4, only certain features such as music-playing will continue while other features will stop.

After a period of inactivity and when it needs the resources, the OS will quit inactive apps for you.

This works pretty well most of the time, but I've observed that after I switch away from graphics-intensive games my battery will drain much more rapidly than before I launched them unless I quit them using the method described in the OP or shutdown and restart my iPhone.

More about iOS multitasking:
[arstechnica.com]
Date: March 11, 2011 03:01PM
OK - this has been bothering me for months, but I've never sought an answer - now I have it!!

Yes, removing from the recently launched apps ALSO QUITS the app...

[support.apple.com]

c) Tap the red minus to quit the application. This also removes an application from recently used apps.
d) Press the Home button to return to recently used apps. Then press the Home button again return to the Home screen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 03:02PM by hal.
Date: March 11, 2011 03:01PM
Chakravartin
After a period of inactivity and when it needs the resources, the OS will quit inactive apps for you.

This works pretty well most of the time, but I've observed that after I switch away from graphics-intensive games my battery will drain much more rapidly than before I launched them unless I quit them using the method described in the OP or shutdown and restart my iPhone.

Yep.
Date: March 11, 2011 03:04PM
hal
OK - this has been bothering me for months, but I've never sought an answer - now I have it!!

[support.apple.com]

c) Tap the red minus to quit the application. This also removes an application from recently used apps.
d) Press the Home button to return to recently used apps. Then press the Home button again return to the Home screen.

Do you have all of us set to ignore. We keeping stating how to quite an application and you keep ignoring us. ;)
Date: March 11, 2011 03:11PM
jdc
And I did the 4.3 update yesterday -- so all of those apps stayed in the "open" state after the update.

They aren't open. That's the point. Some of the apps will be running in the background, most are just recently used. If I have my orientation correct, then the apps on the left most side of the task switcher are the ones last used, so they are mostly likely still running (assuming these apps fit one of Apple's "tent poles" for multi-tasking if you randomly pop into the task switcher.

I have no idea how to visually tell apps that still have resources open in the background from the one's that don't from a glance at the task switcher.
Date: March 11, 2011 03:32PM
silvarios
hal

[support.apple.com]

Do you have all of us set to ignore. We keeping stating how to quite an application and you keep ignoring us. ;)

no, not at all, but some said that it will quit apps and some say that it only removes from the list - that does me no good, so I looked to the mothership for the final answer
Date: March 11, 2011 03:38PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. Yes, it should quit apps, but only if the app was running, otherwise it is just removing it from the list. Confusing eh? Apple's UI is weird for the task switcher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 03:39PM by silvarios.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: March 11, 2011 03:47PM
GGD
It may be quicker to just power off the iPhone and reboot it than to try quitting 50 apps.

Seems like that should do the trick but it does not...

Yes, quitting apps has some value in certain situations. Some apps like Skype do run in the background and can shorten battery life significantly. Also, if you've ever had an app go all wonky on you and refuse to relaunch after you hit the home button and then the app's icon again, quitting the app will often fix things.

I agree that Apple needs to rethink this - running apps and recent apps need to be distinguished and a one or two tap "kill all/clear all" would certainly be appreciated.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 11, 2011 03:55PM
Man did I ever open a can of worms. Nice discussion so for though, I'm learning some things.

Grateful11
Date: March 11, 2011 04:07PM
I'm glad you did - I FINALLY understand it...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 11, 2011 04:17PM
Ha Ha Ha . . . I don't have this problem on my iPhone 3G . . . it's not advanced enough to be a pain in the a$$

burnout smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: March 11, 2011 04:53PM
StingMe
GGD

Actually, it does do "the trick" very well.

When I use a process-watcher app, I can see some CPU being utilized by the last dozen or so apps that I've run if I haven't restarted recently.

Immediately after a restart, those processes no longer even show up in the list of processes. They aren't merely inactive. They are gone. Those apps are not in any respect "running." They do not consume system resources.

Their icons show up the little taskbar at the bottom of the screen only in the same fashion as apps will show up under "Recent Items" in the Apple Menu on my Mac.

The icons are merely there as a convenient way to launch recently used apps.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 11, 2011 05:22PM
Chakravartin
StingMe
GGD

Actually, it does do "the trick" very well.

When I use a process-watcher app, I can see some CPU being utilized by the last dozen or so apps that I've run if I haven't restarted recently.

Immediately after a restart, those processes no longer even show up in the list of processes. They aren't merely inactive. They are gone. Those apps are not in any respect "running." They do not consume system resources.

Their icons show up the little taskbar at the bottom of the screen only in the same fashion as apps will show up under "Recent Items" in the Apple Menu on my Mac.

The icons are merely there as a convenient way to launch recently used apps.

What's a good app for the Touch that looks at processes?
Date: March 11, 2011 05:33PM
freeradical

I second the request. A jail broken solution was mentioned earlier, but anything straight from the app store?
Posted by: Black
Date: March 11, 2011 06:04PM
hal

Command/Q!

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 11, 2011 06:48PM
silvarios
freeradical

I second the request. A jail broken solution was mentioned earlier, but anything straight from the app store?

Try System Activity Monitor or Activity Monitor Touch.

Unlike the apps for jailbroken iOS devices they won't let you kill processes, but they will let you see what's running.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 11, 2011 06:56PM
Chakravartin
silvarios
freeradical

Try System Activity Monitor or Activity Monitor Touch.

Unlike the apps for jailbroken iOS devices they won't let you kill processes, but they will let you see what's running.

Thanks!
Date: March 11, 2011 07:21PM
Thank you.
Date: March 11, 2011 11:14PM
Im not changing my habits.

Nothing I have read makes me believe that force quitting my apps will help -- and from my experience my iPhone runs the same speed no matter what I seem to do.

Ive got 462 apps -- too many to actually fit on my iPhone because of space limits -- no music and only a few photos. think I might only have 90 megs of space left.

still. runs. fine.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 12, 2011 12:43AM
StingMe has a point. I've found that battery life seriously decreases on my iPhone 4 when certains apps are in the background... especially those that poll for your current location, like Maps or Address.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 12, 2011 11:10PM
I thought that none of the iOS platforms were capable of "multi-tasking" ??

By that, I assumed that meant you could only have one app open at a time. So how are you having
more than one open?

btw... I don't have any of the hardware, so I'm ASKING as much as I am repeating what I thought to be true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020