advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All you can eat internet buffet about to get stuffed-AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 13, 2011 07:33PM
[www.engadget.com]

Ladies and gentlemen, the days of unlimited broadband may be numbered in the United States, and we're not talking wireless this time -- AT&T says it will implement a 150GB monthly cap on landline DSL customers and a 250GB cap on subscribers to U-Verse high speed internet starting on May 2nd. AT&T will also charge overage fees of $10 for every additional 50GB of data, with two grace periods to start out -- in other words, the third month you go over the cap is when you'll get charged.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All you can eat internet buffet about to get stuffed-AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 13, 2011 07:36PM
Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.

It is what it is.
Re: All you can eat internet buffet about to get stuffed-AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 13, 2011 07:47PM
VTPKL!

I know I went over this month and I did not even download the any of the half dozen 3 GB game demos I was thinking of trying out. I do not seen how they can do this.

Watching HD on U-verse for a couple of hours a day would put a user over 250 GB easy, or does that not count? If it does not count, I see this as a blatant strongarm to force people to U-verse from Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: March 13, 2011 07:50PM
What's U-Verse? like Fios?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 13, 2011 07:56PM
U-verse uses a fiber network with up to the last 1/8th mile twisted pair copper. edit Data rates vary from 12 Mbps to 25 Mbps depending on the location and if there is competition from cable or true FIOS in the area.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 08:00PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2011 07:59PM
Filliam H. Muffman
VTPKL!

I know I went over this month and I did not even download the any of the half dozen 3 GB game demos I was thinking of trying out. I do not seen how they can do this.

Watching HD on U-verse for a couple of hours a day would put a user over 250 GB easy, or does that not count? If it does not count, I see this as a blatant strongarm to force people to U-verse from Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes.

Net neutrality, it's been nice knowing you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2011 08:01PM
This was inevitable.

Our favorite tech journalist, John C. Dvorak called this.

I use a lot of bandwidth and will be sorely disappointed with the new rates, whatever they are.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 13, 2011 08:09PM
Guess I'll be reading books more.
This is likely gonna suck the life out of a lot if WiFi cafés (which I frequent a ton).

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 13, 2011 08:14PM
How can I tell how much bandwidth I have used?

As far as I can tell theres nothing on the uverse page.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2011 08:21PM
......I am so OVER(age) this....all these fees.....all this throttling on so called 'unlimited' plans....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 13, 2011 08:31PM
Just another step towards me leaving the grid altogether. That day is coming because when we, the customer have to hope that the entity that we pay money to will treat us the way we like instead of the way "they" like, then the whole thing is turned around backwards. I'm sick of it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 13, 2011 08:31PM
150GB per month for ADSL---funny, 'cause downloading that much from a the typical 1.5Mbps takes real dedication in the first place.

At least they recognize that a faster connection uses more bandwidth, but their limit there of 250GB, in lock-step with Comcast, shows a profound lack of uh, marketing creativity. And a crapload of anti-competitive duopoly.

I don't even know if we come close to 150GB a month, but thank you, AT&T, for giving me the push I needed to actually drop you and sign up with Comcast now. Particularly since you can't be bothered to offer U-Verse in my neighborhood.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 13, 2011 08:36PM

...customers strongly believe that only those who use the most bandwidth should pay more than those who don't use as much. That's exactly what this does – and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this.

Translation:
We've found a group of customers that we can charge more without upsetting or scaring off the majority of our customers.
Date: March 13, 2011 08:44PM
jdc
How can I tell how much bandwidth I have used?

As far as I can tell theres nothing on the uverse page.

from the article
Customers will be able to check their usage with an online tool, and get notifications when they reach 65 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent of their monthly rates.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 13, 2011 08:48PM
... and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this.

Translation: We'll get to them later.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 13, 2011 08:52PM
Chakravartin

...customers strongly believe that only those who use the most bandwidth should pay more than those who don't use as much. That's exactly what this does – and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this.

Translation:
We've found a group of customers that we can charge more without upsetting or scaring off the majority of our customers.

At the fastest of their U-Verse speeds, there's probably some truth to this---despite them NOT mentioning anything about what's happened recently to cause them to be concerned. I still find it amusing that as a 1.5Mbps customer I could in any meaningful way negatively impact their network.

These guys are far quicker to look for ways to charge customers extra, instead of building their fscking infrastructure so that it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. They can't at least lie to us, throw us a bone and claim to be investing in faster speeds, higher usage allowances?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 08:53PM by deckeda.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 13, 2011 10:15PM
You have to wonder WHY they were so happy building fast fast fast 'last mile' infrastructure, and forgetting the big honking pipes in the middle. I mean.. DUH !

Sort of like running 2000 amp lines to every home, and then wondering WHY some houses are actually using more than the old 10 amps ?

Stupid.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 13, 2011 10:30PM
Dry pair.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 14, 2011 12:21AM
I don't know how much bandwidth a U-verse user would typically use, but the 150 GB cap sounds reasonable to me-- I am not convinced this measure is aimed at more than cutting off the folks who are out-and-out abusing the service, e.g. sub-contracting with neighbors and such.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: March 14, 2011 12:38AM
Black
I don't know how much bandwidth a U-verse user would typically use, but the 150 GB cap sounds reasonable to me-- I am not convinced this measure is aimed at more than cutting off the folks who are out-and-out abusing the service, e.g. sub-contracting with neighbors and such.

even if this is the current claim, it is the key to charging for every fing byte.
i remember when tv reception was free and taping shows and handing them to friends was easy. this is what we will be saying about the net.

first the limit notification infastructure will be in place, then the limit will stay 250g as time goes by and normal usage becomes in the terras... ack!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 12:41AM by MacDoxy.
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: March 14, 2011 12:43AM
cbelt3
You have to wonder WHY they were so happy building fast fast fast 'last mile' infrastructure, and forgetting the big honking pipes in the middle. I mean.. DUH !

Sort of like running 2000 amp lines to every home, and then wondering WHY some houses are actually using more than the old 10 amps ?

Stupid.

or running the lines knowing full well the future of rising profits will be based on "overages"
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 14, 2011 07:28AM
I was concerned when Comcast started the 250GB limit. I use it for my business and upload and DL a lot of images (We're a photography studio) With 25Mbps DL and 3.5 up we can move a decent amount of data. I know we often upload hundreds of megabytes per day. But we found that 250GB is a lot of data.
In fact we have only gone over 100GB a few times in the past couple of years.

What legitimate uses would there be to use 250GB a month?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: March 14, 2011 09:43AM
Just stream Netflix several hours a day.

My earlier post: Charter Internet
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: March 14, 2011 10:08AM
MacDoxy
cbelt3

Stupid.

or running the lines knowing full well the future of rising profits will be based on "overages"

They're adopting the Banking model, fees, fees, fees, and then punishing for overages.

Cheers!
Posted by: Black
Date: March 14, 2011 11:37AM
Sorry, still not convinced.
And I always thought it was irresponsible for Netflix to roll out that service-- it puts a huge burden on the providers and they didn't offer to assist with the infrastructure. I would be more inclined to blame Netflix for this policy shift than any sort of revenue motive.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: March 14, 2011 03:05PM
Black
Sorry, still not convinced.
And I always thought it was irresponsible for Netflix to roll out that service-- it puts a huge burden on the providers and they didn't offer to assist with the infrastructure. I would be more inclined to blame Netflix for this policy shift than any sort of revenue motive.

Did you forget to put a smiley after this comment?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 14, 2011 04:34PM
Ken Sp.
[www.engadget.com]

Ladies and gentlemen, the days of unlimited broadband may be numbered in the United States, and we're not talking wireless this time -- AT&T says it will implement a 150GB monthly cap on landline DSL customers and a 250GB cap on subscribers to U-Verse high speed internet starting on May 2nd. AT&T will also charge overage fees of $10 for every additional 50GB of data, with two grace periods to start out -- in other words, the third month you go over the cap is when you'll get charged.

This is better than the Comcast policy of cutting your service if you use too much bandwidth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020