advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much RAM for iMac DV 400 SE to run OS X
Posted by: magicmikey
Date: December 27, 2005 06:08PM
My wife's iMac DV 400 SE is running OS 9.1.1 with a Belkin USB Wireless Network Adapter and it's driving me crazy. I know the Belkin adapters cause some startup issues and I can live with it but Netscape Communicator, which she uses for e-mail and surfing, causes nothing but trouble.

Communicator was one of the reasons I finally made the plunge to OS X on my B&W a couple of years ago. I'm positive that Communicator causes instability in OS 9. It used to happen to me and my wife is always in Communicator when her iMac crashes.

I want to install OS X (10.3.9) in her iMac for the stability and the ability to use more up-to-date browsers, etc. She currently has 256 mb of RAM in it and I know that Panther needs as much RAM as possible. (I have a gig in my B&W.)

What would you think the minimum she can get by with would be? She primarily uses it for surfing, e-mail, Photoshop Elements (will install version 3.0 in her iMac) and MS Office (again, I'll install Office 2004 in her computer.)

On rare occasions, she runs PageMaker 7.0, which will work okay in Classic. (I have InDesign CS 2 but I would likely have to max out the RAM in her iMac to run with it.)

Anyway, can she get by with 256 mb? I can replace one of the 128 mb sticks with a 256 mb stick for $32, if needed, but I would rather avoid having to shell of $64 + shipping to get it up to 512 mb. (The Holidays were expensive!)

Thanks for the input.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2005 06:09PM by magicmikey.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much RAM for iMac DV 400 SE to run OS X
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 27, 2005 06:12PM
She can get by with 256 but you won't like it. You really ought to bump it up to 512 if you possibly can.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 27, 2005 06:19PM
Mine has a 256 + 128 and runs OK with OS 10.2.8. I don't do anything too taxing on it, though.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 27, 2005 06:29PM
As much as you can put in it, honestly. The more RAM room it has, the better it'll run, even on a slower iMac. If you can muster it, at least go with the 512. You can never have too much RAM.

from Wikiquote ( [en.wikiquote.org] ):

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." and "No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer."

Notes: Two variants of the same quote. Attributed to him in 1981 when designing DOS's conventional memory limit as ten times the amount in his computer; Gates has denied this quote and mentions that it is always provided without a source. In fact, the earliest version of MS-DOS did not have this memory limitation, and when the limitation was applied, it was driven by hardware limits from Intel, not by MS software.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 27, 2005 07:02PM
Beware the law of diminishing returns when trying to upgrade a slow iMac regarding OS X. I know because I lived with a B&W and OS X which I had upgraded over the years.

Just recently I spent the best money I can recall on a Mac mini. OS X is a joy with a faster processor and 1GB of RAM.

Good luck with your iMac.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 27, 2005 07:44PM
I've run on 348 MB for a long time. Those G3 iMacs are actually pretty responsive in many tasks
Posted by: joycee
Date: December 27, 2005 07:44PM
I'd add a 512 stick and max it out to 640, seriously. My old iMac 400 DV that I keep in the kitchen runs 10.3.9 very well with 640 MB of RAM. I wouldn't try it with less, as the frustration level that would most likely bring isn't worth it to me.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 27, 2005 09:20PM
I just recently went to 256mb in my Blue/White g4/450.

I was removing the sticks to test in someone else's machine, and wanted to see how Panther and Jag worked with 256 (as a comparison to the Mini with 256).

This is via the OEM drive at ATA/33

It was a little slower to boot (10 seconds?) it was a little slower to render icons on the desktop (so keep them in a folder).

Otherwise, I was significantly impressed by just how well the OS managed virtual memory on a slow drive and got the job done.

I even opened up Photoshop and messed with a 30mb image with the browser open and something else too.

Would I give away my 896MB? Nope.

Could I handle the extra 15 seconds here and there? Based on my own experiment, definitely. But I'd snap up the RAM if you see it on sale.
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: December 27, 2005 09:33PM
I'll give you a link to a 512MB DIMM so you can get up and running with OS X on your wife's iMac G3/400 DV SE. My wife's using the identical iMac, in graphite, which I installed 1GB of RAM in (for her Xmas present last year), and it also has an Airport card. We're running Tiger 10.4.3 and it's a spiffy little computer!

She runs 3,4,5, applications open at the same time...no problem. I also installed Adobe Creative Suite CS for her, and it works perfectly fine. Another key to having an older iMac run *any version* of OS X well is having enough HDrive "virtual memory and disk swapping space". I replaced the old 13GB Maxtor with a 120GB Seagate 7200RPM 8MB cache HDrive when they were on sale last summer ($30 after rebates), and that helped things a bunch.

And BE SURE that you update the firmware in the iMac BEFORE installing OS X, or you'll make it a paperweight. Seriously, you absolutely cannot install OS X without the firmware update. Go to Apple's Support pages, look up "firmware updates" and pick out the one for the iMac, and do that first. You cannot update the firmware in OS X...HAS to be done in OS 9.x.

I know this is OWC's Forum, but I've had nothing but good luck with Omni Technologies RAM...free shipping and less than $56 for a 512MB DIMM, Lifetime Warranty also:
[www.omnitechnologies.biz]

Whatever you do, don't buy RAM from 1-800-4MEMORY. That's a problem waiting for a resting place.

Go make yourself and your wife's iMac happysmiling smiley

Hope this helped.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2005 09:45PM by rexrzer.
Date: December 27, 2005 09:49PM
Hello rexrzer,

You've been helpful on the Dealmac forum in the past and you're a big help here.

I have done the iMac firmware update. I did it the hard way. I had installed a fresh OS 9.1 when she was given the iMac and I decided to run Disk Warrior on it to make sure it ran well...I just forgot that Disk Warrior launches in OS X! (I was already aware of the firmware issue.)

Well, of course, the screen went black when I restarted in OS 9.1. Fortunately, I was able to connect another monitor to it and was able to see just enough to run the firmware upgrade. Boy, was that a relief!

I didn't realize I could put a 512mb DIMM in this iMac so that's really helpful and I appreciate the link!

Thanks,
Michael
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: December 27, 2005 10:38PM
Zowie, I guess you have been through the loops with the firmware update! I'm glad to hear that you worked your way by the faux pas without having the iMac turn into a paperweight. And yes, any iMac that's slot-loading can take up to 1GB RAM and they love it...totally transforms the machine to have at least 640MB RAM...the more the better.

FYI, before upgrading to 1GB RAM, we were running the iMac G3/400MHz with 512MB RAM, and OS 10.3.x, and it worked acceptably. Applications were a little slow to launch of course, and you couldn't multi-task like you can with 1GB RAM, but it was *ok.*

We actually have *two* iMac DV SE's in the family that I'm responsible for...I found a really nice 1-owner duplicate of my wife's, in graphite, in 10/2004, (right when the bottom fell out of the iMac market) for $175 on eBay, and I gave it to my sister for a Xmas present. It's running 512MB RAM, and OS 10.3.9. She uses the Adobe Creative Suite CS also, and only has dial-up internet access. So that one gets a workout, but she loves it.

As long as the CRT works, and the logic board doesn't blow a capacitor, the iMac G3s are excellent all-around Macs. I think that they're some of Apple's finest work, honestly. I can think of many other Macs that are not as desirable to own as a slot loading iMac G3 with FireWire and USB ports.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: ADent
Date: December 28, 2005 03:46AM
Memory for that machine is not particularly cheap (though I got a good price on 256MB mail order).

Think about a mini before sinking too much money into it.
Date: December 28, 2005 07:26AM
While a Mini would be nice, I would also have to buy a monitor for my wife, which is more of an expense than I'm looking for.

I'm going to go ahead and install Panther and order the 512mb DIMM and that should take care of it.

Thanks for all the input!

Michael
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 28, 2005 08:48AM
I run 256 MBs in an iMac G3/400 DV running Tiger. It isn't as fast as my 450 MHz G4 Cube w/768 MBs RAM but it will do the things you list fairly well. Obviously any flavor of X will feel slower than OS 9 no matter how much RAM you install. She'll get used to it over time as long as she never boots back to OS 9, especially if it crashes less. Let her browse with Firefox or Opera rather than Safari (or use all three) if she wants speed.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 28, 2005 09:20AM
I thought I'd posted a reply yesterday but...

Highly recommend adding a 512MB for 640MB total. Getting above 512MB REALLY REALLY makes a difference, even for older machines. Amazing what that extra memory does as OS X is REALLY good at making use of it.

She'll appreciate the 640MB vs. just 384MB and even 512MB... even for light tasks, as again - OS X is snappier in general getting above that 512MB point.

People with iBook G3s... talking the old 300MHz models... RAVE at the difference they experience upgrading those from 384 to 640MB.....

It's a good investment if that machine is going to be put to good use.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020