advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Never in America: Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 24, 2011 11:59AM
they have been working on an intersection around here for 6+ months.

looks like the got it about 90% of the way done -- lights up with covers on the, most of the concrete poured, signs up -- and then 3 months ago they just left. So for the whole winter/rainy months we suffer with poor lighting, temporary stop signs, a giant puddle because of unfinished asphalt and orange cones everywhere. accident waiting to happen.

[www.autoblog.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Never in America: Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days
Posted by: Raymond Roche
Date: March 24, 2011 12:06PM
In Portugal a few years ago I saw local crews put in an overpass, exit and entry ramps, and access roads to a race track in ten days.

They were working 24/7.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 24, 2011 12:07PM
We can do it here. Someone just has to want it bad enough to pay for it.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 24, 2011 12:10PM
We have a repaving project that seems to be taking an unusually long period of time to accomplish.

Course, there's a huge "project paid for with rebuilding America stimulus funds" sign at either end of the project, too.
Edit: Not implying anything at all. We've been dodging cones all Winter, too. Seems they could just as easily have put just the signs up and started in several more weeks for what has been accomplished ( nothing) this Winter. Maybe we had a Unusual Winter, wink, wink.

I've seen a collapsed overpass get replaced within several weeks done as an emergency project exempt from the usual bidding, planning, environmental study, hiring and political processes.

The need of the many truly can trump many processes sometimes.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 12:18PM by billb.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 24, 2011 12:46PM
I'll bet the Japanese workers didn't complain to their unions that they were made to work on a weekend...

Those huge piles of rubble from the tsunami? I'll bet that they'll be cleaned up and ready for new construction faster than it took for the cleanup "contracts" to be put out to bid after Katrina.

I have some issues with the Japanese... but "lazy" and "slow workers" is not something I'd brand them with.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 24, 2011 12:47PM
they once repaired a pot hole in my town in a day. It took 6 months to get there, but ..........
It's an imperfect world.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 24, 2011 12:49PM
billb
I've seen a collapsed overpass get replaced within several weeks done as an emergency project exempt from the usual bidding, planning, environmental study, hiring and political processes.

The need of the many truly can trump many processes sometimes.

Bingo. The politically required BS trumps sanity in most cases. And we voters put up with it. That was the topic of a drivetime discussion with my daughter last night.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: March 24, 2011 01:13PM
It has taken NJ Transit over one year to repair a staircase to the commuter train station in my town. The staircase is only 12 years old and it already needs repair. This is what happens when you are required to use the lowest bidder.
Posted by: maco
Date: March 24, 2011 01:29PM
Brings back memories of this:

In particular, the Santa Monica Freeway was rebuilt in only 66 days, less than half the time stipulated by the state of California.

Lessons for post-Katrina reconstruction: A high-road vs. low-road recovery
[www.epi.org]

I-10 Santa Monica Freeway opens 74 days ahead of schedule
[ntl.bts.gov]
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: March 24, 2011 02:22PM
Not quite six days, but, the repair to the MacArthur Maze a few years back was fairly impressive.

[www.us-concrete.com]

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 24, 2011 02:33PM
Emergency rebuilds are a different animal from run-of-the-mill upgrades and maintenance.

Unfortunately, without a bidding process, the Senator's brother-in-law ends up with all the contracts.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: March 24, 2011 05:00PM
Speaking of re-building, how is that WTC project (or is it projects?) going these days?

Not just the fact they will get this stuff done over there in a fraction of the time it would take here but I'm more impressed with the culture as a whole. I've always loved/respected Japanese culture (general statement, I know. I do realize they are far from perfect) and it was boosted during this tragedy. A number of times on the news it was pointed out that there was no real complaining, whining hoarding and especially looting (Katrina anyone?). I realize the Katrina thing had some slight differences (like in japan the Gov't actually cares and wants to help) but it is a stark contrast between our cultures and theirs when it comes to these sorts of things. Doesn't portray us favorably.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: March 24, 2011 05:34PM
Actually I was just COMPLAINING last night that they stripped and repaved about over a mile of road right by my house in like two days. I said there was NO WAY it could be a 'quality job'.

perspective I guess.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 24, 2011 06:15PM
Mini 9
Actually I was just COMPLAINING last night that they stripped and repaved about over a mile of road right by my house in like two days. I said there was NO WAY it could be a 'quality job'.

Well, yeah.

In the United States... of course.

A 3 year project to build a simple overpass near me was supposed to be done 6 months early, but later was extended to over 7 years. Why? Because much of it collapsed halfway through. Oops! We weren't supposed to discover that they failed to install footings and used the wrong concrete mix until after the job was done and the construction company got their performance bonus. (They still got their bonus.)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 24, 2011 07:13PM
[www.latimes.com]

It is what it is.
Date: March 24, 2011 07:37PM
Yeah, there was a new bridge they built in a nice area around here. Just BEFORE it was scheduled to open to traffic, it collapsed. (thank God)

One must wonder WTF!?!?!?!?!
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 24, 2011 07:53PM
Where I live there is a project to widen a 4-lane w/turn lane thoroughfare into a 6-lane divided. Plans call for implementing a Michigan left-turn system and other improvements. They want TWENTY YEARS to do this. We are talking about SIX MILES of roadway.

I understand this is not quite as simple as adding two lanes. But 20 years?! That does not include the five or so years up until now that they have been planning this.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 24, 2011 08:15PM
Paul F.
I'll bet the Japanese workers didn't complain to their unions that they were made to work on a weekend...

Most Union workers don't complain when they get 2.5 or 3x the reg. rate. Ever worked where there was a Union?

Grateful11
Date: March 24, 2011 09:06PM
See, there's the difference...

American union workers would look the boss in the eye and demand 2.5 or 3x pay for pulling the bodies of their neighbors out of the rubble.

Don't think that's even a question for the Japanese in Sendai.
They're there to clean up their community, and bury their dead. Not make union wages.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 24, 2011 09:44PM
Paul F.

American union workers would look the boss in the eye and demand 2.5 or 3x pay for pulling the bodies of their neighbors out of the rubble.

They're there to clean up their community, and bury their dead. Not make union wages.

Yes Paul, I'm CERTAIN that was what happened on 9/11 (or for that matter, any other tragic event that has occured in this nation) with the NYFD, NYPD, and any other Union worker that rushed to help rescue survivors on that awful day. eye rolling smiley

Is that what your saying Paul? Those brave firefighters, police, and first responders looked the boss in the eye and demanded higher pay to continue with the rescue? Perhaps you would like to give us a few examples?

bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley

Ya know, you have a pretty twisted idea about what Union workers here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. are about. To paint with such a broad brush makes me really wonder how the Union folk have hurt you personally.

Hope it doesn't lead you to buy more guns & ammo when your panties get bunched up when you think about Unions! eye popping smiley

Hey everyone! Look out! It's a UNION man!! Run for your lives!! smiling bouncing smiley

In closing, Paul, I'd like to give you a few of these for good measure!!

thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 24, 2011 10:45PM
Unions made the middle class in this country.

I clearly remember watching on TV as a group of iron workers at the WTC site lined up in formation to tackle the pile. As volunteers. The folks who hit the jackpot are the owners of the companies. No doubt Paul takes pity on them for having to employ union workers.

I've worked on many road construction projects. I remember watching (not my project) a paving train moving at one mile an hour. The train picked up the old asphalt, put it into a drum for mixing and spit it out into a paver. All in a single lane. The only thing not recycled was the oil which was brought in by transports. They did a thirty mile stretch, both ways, in less than six days. All planned and done by union workers from the state planners down through the contractor's employees.

Rick-o
Paul F.

Yes Paul, I'm CERTAIN that was what happened on 9/11 (or for that matter, any other tragic event that has occured in this nation) with the NYFD, NYPD, and any other Union worker that rushed to help rescue survivors on that awful day. eye rolling smiley

Is that what your saying Paul? Those brave firefighters, police, and first responders looked the boss in the eye and demanded higher pay to continue with the rescue? Perhaps you would like to give us a few examples?

bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley bs smiley

Ya know, you have a pretty twisted idea about what Union workers here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. are about. To paint with such a broad brush makes me really wonder how the Union folk have hurt you personally.

Hope it doesn't lead you to buy more guns & ammo when your panties get bunched up when you think about Unions! eye popping smiley

Hey everyone! Look out! It's a UNION man!! Run for your lives!! smiling bouncing smiley

In closing, Paul, I'd like to give you a few of these for good measure!!

thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley thumbs up smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 24, 2011 10:51PM
Paul F.

Paul, with all due respect because you do make quite a few worthwhile posts around here, but you really screwed the pooch with that one. What a crass, disgusting thing to say.

Date: March 24, 2011 11:50PM
Amazing how the Unions didn't seem to be able to teach you to read the post before mine...

Have fun toeing the union line...
Would be a shame to not parrot the same tired crap they've been pushing since the 50's.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 25, 2011 01:10AM
maco
Brings back memories of this:

I-10 Santa Monica Freeway opens 74 days ahead of schedule
[ntl.bts.gov]

The repair job on the Santa Monica freeway was unusual. There were higher then normal contract payments because of the need for speed and some huge incentives and penalties for making and/or failing to make deadlines. They also had bonuses for finishing ahead of schedule. [www.fhwa.dot.gov] work went on basically 24/7 to get things done and there was no traffic on the freeway during a lot of the repairs. Remember the bad traffic on pico and Venice boulevards?
Date: March 25, 2011 01:31AM
Paul F.
Amazing how the Unions didn't seem to be able to teach you to read the post before mine...

Would be a shame to not parrot the same tired crap they've been pushing since the 50's.

I did read the post before yours, along with every post in this thread, in sequence.

"American union workers would look the boss in the eye and demand 2.5 or 3x pay for pulling the bodies of their neighbors out of the rubble."

That is a gross generalization about the morality of millions of Americans, and there was nothing in the previous post or anywhere else in this thread to excuse it.

Date: March 25, 2011 04:47AM
The most recent news I heard a few minutes ago, speaking of unions, is that King/UAW is looking to expand globally and partnership with other unions and fund activists in other countries.

[www.freep.com]

Dennis Williams, on Wednesday, said the UAW has been working with unions in Germany, Japan, Korea and Mexico to create coalitions that will help it apply pressure to automakers that operate non-unionized plants in the U.S.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 25, 2011 08:52AM
Paul F.

Heh! Your owners have you trained well! Nice dodge there, but really, your answer is quite lame.

You still didn't answer the question about the UNION rescue workers during the 9/11 crisis.

Perhaps you should stay away from the expired food in the future. It seems to be affecting your brain! smiling bouncing smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 26, 2011 07:06AM
Paul F.

Sad and pitiful for you know not what you are talking about. I can tell you've obviously never worked in or around
a Unionized workplace. I spent 21 years in a Union shop, it was a closed shop, you either joined or didn't work
there, we were told that before we hired in. 21 years of my life that I'll never forget, the men there were more like
brothers than than most real brothers ever are. When something needed to be done it got done, no complaining,
not as much whining as you'd think, you get that everywhere. I worked in 6 different shops before my last job 5
non-Union and 1 Union. If someone got hurt we were ready for anything, safety was and still is put before everything.
There are at least 2 first aid and CPR fully certified people in every shop/work area. After Katrina we were allowed
up to 2 weeks of volunter work in the hurricanes worst hit areas even though our workplace was 600 miles away.

I could go on all day but somehow I don't think you really care. I've known people like yourself that hate Unions
with every fiber of their being for some reason. Most of the people I know that are like that it was instilled in them
by their parents or grandparents, quite similar to bigotry as most bigotry is also instilled into a person by a parent/
parents or relative. Hatred is learned thing it's not genetic. So I'll excuse you as just plain not knowing any better.
Have a great day and try looking up why Unions were formed to begin with, maybe watch the movie "Matewan"
someday and just possibly you might have a better understanding of why.

"Matewan"
[www.imdb.com]

Maybe think about what these men had to go through and things you and millions of others enjoy because of their
actions so many years ago. You don't have all those Holidays off for nothing, someone fought for them for you. You
don't have all benefits out of the goodness of your employers heart.

The history and timeline of the IAM:

[www.iamdl19.org]

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020