advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need rec's for a small Home Theater sound system
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: June 03, 2006 10:31PM
Need small complete 5.1 system with black speakers, decent subwoofer, and a Dolby digital decoder/amp with an optical audio input. I'm putting surround sound in the guest bedroom with a HDTV, don't need or want killer volume, and low cost is definitely desirable. Tidy counts. Please give some suggestions with systems you're happy with.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need rec's for a small Home Theater sound system
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 03, 2006 10:45PM
How much $$$$?

You missed the very excellent Radio Shack system for $49 Bought two in January, work great.

You might be able to find the ?BIG LOTS!" Koss System 500 watt for $79, also had AM/FM Radio.

Optical input is hard to find, also black is out of style, gray is the new black.

BGnR
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 03, 2006 11:11PM
How much money are you willing to spend? Give us a range.

Grateful11
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 04, 2006 12:42AM
go to bestbuy with your list and buy one -- maybe about $400?

you wont be able to tell the difference if you spend more, unless its 5X as much
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 04, 2006 06:45AM
Why does it have to be surround? You'll get much better quality investing in a stereo setup, for the same amount of money.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 04, 2006 08:23AM
I've heard good things about this unit:

[makeashorterlink.com]

It may be bigger or more expensive than you were thinking, though.

Review:

[reviews-zdnet.com.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2006 08:32AM by Ted King.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 04, 2006 10:54AM
Here you go, only $88, and it has a Five-Disc changer, and a USB jack for your MP3 player, and Digital Camera. It is an RCA, I have the $49 one from Radio Shack, and that one rocks! Oh, and it is black.
[weeklyad.target.com];#

RCA HOME THEATER SYSTEM
sale $88
In a Target-exclusive color! Features a 5-disc DVD/CD changer, Dolby Digital surround sound and USB port for your MP3 player
and digital camera. Digital AM/FM tuner, 250 watts of total power.

BGnR
I know this sounds a bit pushy, but when are you going to revisit this thread and answer some of the questions posted? Maybe just the one about what is your budget?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 04, 2006 01:31PM
I've got a surround system in my bedroom (not small, and not $88) and I'd rather have adequate surround than really good stereo.

For music listening, it's a different story. Getting a system that does music and video well begins to cost real money.

More than *I* would care to spend for the guest room.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: June 05, 2006 10:54PM
Sorry for the tardy reappearance gang -- got called out of town. Price range should stay under $300 complete, it needs to do Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and needs to have at least one optical input for the audio feed from my HD satellite receiver.

As a former audio and video engineer before I retired, I'm familiar with all of the issues in performance and sound quality -- just looking for some suggestions from happy folks 'cause I live out in the toolies and gas is expensive, and I'd really rather not go to Best Buy unless I have to. Just a personal thing.

Thanks for the suggestions above. Kinda thinking an all-in-one system makes sense, 'cause separate AV receivers tend to have way more functionality than I need and are also *way* bigger physically than I want. Don't need a lot of total audio power -- anything over 50 Watts will be fine if the subwoofer is powered, otherwise 80-100 Watts total.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020