advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does this exist? Electrical outlet to 'pass-thru' extension cord for temp power to barn?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: April 01, 2011 07:29AM
Simply put, I just want to temporarily pass-thru power to mini-barn.
Run extension cord from house's external 120v power outlet to mini-barn.
Plug into some sort of outlet on the outside of the barn to provide temporary power to the inside of the mini-barn.
google-fu waning...

thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does this exist? Electrical outlet to 'pass-thru' extension cord for temp power to barn?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 01, 2011 07:34AM
If the barn has no power but gets an "injection" from a cord plugged into an outlet, sure, that ought to work. But why not just run the cord into the barn, and how many things need to be temporarily powered? Watch your amperage limit on the feeder circuit.
Re: Does this exist? Electrical outlet to 'pass-thru' extension cord for temp power to barn?
Posted by: billb
Date: April 01, 2011 07:44AM
can't drill a hole big enough hole in a wa for the smaller end of the cord and then drill a hole in a 6x6 inch piece of plywood the size of the cord, then cut the board in half and screw that over the hole ?
Or come in a window?
or dig a hole under the frame and come up inside ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 01, 2011 07:44AM
Get a 12 gauge extension cord, too, assuming you want to power more than a few lights. Lots of draw on a long, puny cord can heat it up pretty quick.
Date: April 01, 2011 08:04AM
There is no opening to just run it.

I have the barn sealed up tightly, to try and prevent bugs, rodents from entering. All crack sealed with expanding foam sealant/insulation.

I desire a more elegant way other than running it through a hole in the wall.

Push-->shove I could:
1. install regular outlet inside, wire it to
2. regular outlet outside (ground fault circuit on the opposite end of the extension cord)
3. get TWO repair plugs and wire them to one-another.
4. plug (#3) above into the external outlet (#2)
5. plug extension cord into the homemade male-to-male dongle (#3)
6. VIOLIN !

unless someone makes a male-to-male dongle and I can skip step #3 above.

[NO DONGLE JOKES PLEASE!]
Posted by: billb
Date: April 01, 2011 08:13AM
OWC has a video on how to properly wire a garage door opener ....
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 01, 2011 08:13AM
How far (in feet) is the barn from the nearest outlet?

What you propose would work, but an extension cords with 2 male ends would have to be home-made, and would be dangerous in the wrong hands.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 01, 2011 08:38AM
flareslow
How far (in feet) is the barn from the nearest outlet?

What you propose would work, but an extension cords with 2 male ends would have to be home-made, and would be dangerous in the wrong hands.

How about something like this?

Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 01, 2011 08:51AM
Did I miss where he wanted a VGA signal in his barn?jest smiley
Posted by: Dik2
Date: April 01, 2011 09:11AM
Boat US or other marine stores have shore power connectors and cables for 30 and 50 amp service.
Date: April 01, 2011 09:15AM
your jokes made me LOL ! Thanks people.

marine --> good idea; and for my sprinkler pump too.
Posted by: Dik2
Date: April 01, 2011 09:57AM
RV supply stores have connectors too.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 01, 2011 10:04AM
[www.amazon.com]

Look for flat panel TV power relocation kits, although they tend to be pricey.

As mentioned by Dik2, Boat and RV options will probably be more weatherproof.

DO NOT MAKE A MALE TO MALE EXTENSION CORD!!! That could prove dangerous to anyone who doesn't realize what it is, or even if you just forget for a second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2011 10:04AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: April 01, 2011 10:22AM
Every Christmas, hardware stores around the country post signs noting that there is no such thing as a male-to-male extension cord. People get the lights all stapled to the roof and then look at the end of the string nearest the plug . . .
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 01, 2011 11:37AM
yesh.. the availability of such cables is deeply illegal in the US. 'cause they are by their nature dangerous as heck.

Seriously... running power to an outbuilding is NOT hard.. the worst part is digging the trench for the plastic conduit !
Date: April 01, 2011 03:29PM
thanks for all the advice.
I am surprised that anyone minds if I endanger myself. smiling smiley
(oh, I know, you were concerned someone ELSE would get hurt by my stupidity... not me)

Ok. I'll trench it. There is just my natural gas, electricity, phone, and something else from here to there. That'll be better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020